HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 1:34 AM

anyhow... not to burst everyone's bubble but i got more info on this project... and of course it wasn't exactly the most exciting thing to read after seeing the sign for it though! here is the reply....

Matt, we are in the design stages. It is a seven year development.
Once we have something more concrete I will forward you a conceptual
sketch. The condo's are probably 3-4 years away.

I hope you are doing well, are you still selling homes?

Keep in touch.

Thanks,

Cal

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 1:53 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Doesn't burst my bubble as long as this is a new urbanism type development that is taken serious and by the timeline he stated that seems to be what it is. 7 years isn't as long as you would think it is. I can remember 2000 and that seems like only yesterday. 3-4 for condo highrises seems about right if he's talking completed condos 3-4 years from now however if he's talking 3-4 years before construction starts well that's cool as well. I can wait.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 2:38 AM

I took these a couple of hours ago.

And somewhat of a bonus picture... The Reflection off Blanco and Huebner.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 4:10 AM

The unified development code categorizes building over 75 feet tall as high rise.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresAndujar View Post
The unified development code categorizes building over 75 feet tall as high rise.
They shouldn't use the word "highrise" because it makes people assume "skyscraper" which is over 12 stories. SA is chalk full of highrises...woo 5 story office buildings

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 7:01 AM

Who thinks of a skyscraper when seeing "highrise"? A skyscraper in itself is its own turn for a building.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 11:31 AM
Meh

Again, highrise just refers to a certain height for insurance and legal/safety purposes. Most likely the term wasn't even created in Texas. It's something that all cities are governed by since all structures are affected in the same way by fire and other safety hazards, regardless of where they're located. For whatever reason, for which I'm not exactly sure why, 75 feet was the magic number they went with. That may have something to do with certain things such as fire trucks only have a certain length of ladder, usually 105 feet long on the big ladder trucks.

As for skyscraper meaning building, well, that gets blurry. It certainly doesn't mean tree, although some trees really do scrape the sky, (some are well over 300 feet tall). Building refers to just about any structure that is used for a habitat of humans or that can be used for storage. Though even that gets confusing since a grain silo can store grain, but isn't used for a habitat and it normally wouldn't be seen as a traditional building. I see the word skyscraper as referring to a very tall building. Some people don't consider buildings shorter than 500 feet to be a skyscraper. And certainly when you look at pictures of New York and Chicago which are full of buildings over 500 feet, anything shorter even 300 feet tall seem short by comparison.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Who thinks of a skyscraper when seeing "highrise"? A skyscraper in itself is its own turn for a building.
Uhh everyone and their mom who isn't into buildings? Who would just assume a highrise is different than a skyscraper?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2007, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
Uhh everyone and their mom who isn't into buildings? Who would just assume a highrise is different than a skyscraper?
That's just what you assume. I'd hope the general public were intelligent enough to know the difference.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2007, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
That's just what you assume. I'd hope the general public were intelligent enough to know the difference.
Are you one of those people who like to ignore reality? Let's see here unless someone is a building fanatic..I don't see the general uninformed population automatically thinking there is a difference between the words "highrise" and "skyscraper" I guess you can believe what you want...even if its clearly not the case.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 1:41 AM

The thing is, there is no official definition for skyscrapers other than really tall building. I just checked out the wiki for skyscraper and they saye (yes I know anyone can edit) even a 262 foot building could be classified a skyscraper if it stands out in a relative skyline. Basically that is what I meant, that most people see skyscrapers as the buildings that stand out in a skyline, the Empire State Building, the Sears tower, etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio