HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:04 AM

Very impressive and exciting development!

However, I'm not blown away by the residential tower. I think they could've presented a more iconic or bolder design. Obviously cost is a factor. I'm sure a more detailed rendering or small revisions would help with this.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:56 PM

Tolko's Kelowna mill closure permanent according to Castanet citing high costs and poor conditions. I personally think they're just cashing in on this lucrative piece of real estate.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Tolko's Kelowna mill closure permanent according to Castanet citing high costs and poor conditions. I personally think they're just cashing in on this lucrative piece of real estate.
Property owners in that area must be doing backflips given what this news probably means for their property values.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 6:14 PM

Anybody have updates on the proposed tower at the old Dragon King site?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 12:23 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Cool video! Downtown is going to be amazing in 5 years.

I’ve always wondered if that 24 high rise was still going ahead. I thought it was cancelled but looking at this website I found it mentions that aquilini developments are still in the pre construction phase. I’m not sure how new the website is but it does mention sopa square being finished and that wasn’t too long ago.

http://avenuehomes.ca/portfolio/24-kelowna/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 8:57 PM

I'm pretty sure the variance that was granted for the additional height for 24Kelowna is expired. Would be a great project though!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 9:58 PM
BANNED

When I saw the screengrab for that video I thought, why are they showing some other, much bigger city when talking about Kelowna?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Massive downtown Kelowna hotel going back to council again

The massive downtown Kelowna hotel project that's been discussed in one form or another for more than a decade is inching toward completion.

In a press release sent out Friday, Nov. 29, Westcorp announced it has been working to finalize agreements with a hotel operator, and has been busy with construction of the Hotel Exhibition Gallery (complete with a full-sized concept hotel room) on Bernard Avenue.

“Westcorp is now nearing the end of that process and is working to finalize a date for an important announcement event planned for early 2020,” Gail Temple, Westcorp vice-president of operations, said in a press release.

Pre-construction analysis and refinements have also been ongoing and have resulted in the addition of a third level of parking to the underground parkade (total number of parking stalls has risen from 295 to 331).

This change has allowed 14 hotel rooms to replace parking stalls on the Water Street façade of the podium, a change that will provide a more active interface with the street. Other benefits include a reduction in podium height, changed back of house hotel spaces, and an alteration to the design relationship to surrounding buildings.

“Westcorp’s pre-construction work in 2019 has presented some opportunities for us to make the project better, from both design and operational perspectives. While these changes will not affect the look of the building in a significant way, they do require the approval of council, and we will be submitting these revisions to the City this afternoon,” Temple said.

“It is our hope that council will be pleased with the changes, and we look forward to moving on to the sale of the residential units in the spring as planned.”

In 2018 there was a public hearing for another development variance requested by Westcorp. It allowed for a much larger 33-storey hotel and condominium complex.

Construction on that iteration of the project was supposed to begin before the end of this year. A previous version was supposed to see construction begin in 2016.
Going further back into the project's history, in 2007 Westcorp principal Phil Milroy financed what is known as a comprehensive development plan for a large swath of downtown, where the company also owns other property.

The plan, known as CD-21, would have governed not only the construction of the hotel site but also those around it, including height and density but also the placement of urban parks and street closures.

The centrepiece of the plan would have been the Westcorp hotel on land purchased in 2003, originally envisioned by the company as jutting out into Okanagan Lake, sitting in part on land in Kerry Park.

Public pressure at the time pushed the company to scale down its original plans and pull it back from the water’s edge but it was ultimately all for naught as council of the day voted against the plan.

The pullback in Kelowna's real estate market after the recession put the project back on ice.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/massive-...-again/it68112

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 10:04 PM

Looks like the plans are up for the remaining space at Central Green. Still wish some taller towers were going up.

http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...720%201710.pdf

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pejamu View Post
Looks like the plans are up for the remaining space at Central Green. Still wish some taller towers were going up.

Yeah I agree. A couple taller buildings would have been nice, but that pedestrian bridge over Harvey will be cool!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtee View Post
If they are actually going to announce an official hotel operator then I will actually believe that this project is seriously moving forward to sales and construction.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:

This could be an interesting discussion. On the previous application for these buildings, council turned it down requesting larger buildings along Harvey to anchor the site and softly chastised the developer for scrolling back too far from the initial application that held 12 storey towers along the highway if memory serves. Appears as though they have reapplied with the same mass. Could be with the current rate of development, council may let this slide through to finish off the project and give in to the developers wishes. The pedestrian overpass will be a nice addition.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 1:09 AM

There’s now a crane up for a 6 story development right beside The St. Paul on Clement.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:54 AM

Quote:

Too bad, but at least they're putting a commercial component in.

The overpass is unexpected but nice. Looks like it'll line up with Bertram and provide better connectivity to the 97 bus.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:14 AM
April Melissa Sandever

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Great video, to keep you up to speed with what new developments are going one in Kelowna! Also agree the pedestrian over pass would be a nice addition.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 12:47 AM

Finally got out today to take a few shots!

One Water Street appears to be at floor 20

Various Clement Developments

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 12:58 AM

Awesome photos. Thank you. So cool how fast Kelowna is growing and developing a very impressive skyline.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 4:48 PM

Good they're building more rentals, I might be moving back to Kelowna and will need one.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:57 PM

Thanks for sharing these pics. I'm a UBCO grad who hasn't been back in a while. Always curious to see what's new in Kelowna

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia