HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Separate sub-forums for Manitoba and Saskatchewan
Yes 28 63.64%
No 16 36.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 1:52 AM
working stiff

I voted yes (I like The Jabroni and RTD's suggested format), but I'm cool with the status quo. I guess that makes me indifferent

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 2:05 AM
BANNED

I really like the way the Alberta & BC forum are organized. All the larger cities have their own sub-forum with a variety of topic (not just construction) and are organized by subject matter. To me, I find that visually appealing, organized and gets me more interested in more subject matter than I can think off the top of my head. I've also noticed that the members are very engaged in their forums, and appear to like the way it is organized.

I'm not sure if Regina/Saskatoon are large enough or have enough of a membership to have their own sub-forum, but I know that Winnipeg is, and I would like to see our city with the same sub-forum format. As a growing city, Winnipeg will get more and more subject matter for us to discuss, and I feel it would be better suited in an organized manner instead of just lumped randomly into one giant forum. And as I stated before, all other Manitoba/Saskatchewan topics and fall into the general ManSask forum, similar to the BC/Alta forum. I think this would work best for us.

And as we can see by the votes, clearly people want change.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 2:21 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Excellent post.

I think that if people are serious about altering the format (which aparently many do feel strongly about, given to poll results), we should have a serious discussion about the problems are. If someone could post a pro's and con's list, that would be great.
Personally, I think this whole discussion has more to do with Keeping up with the Joneses in Alberta, BC, and Ontario.

I just don't know if their way of organizing threads is something we want to mimic.

Take Vancouver for instance..Downtown Vancouver has its own forum, the suburbs and Fraser Valley has another.

I sorta like that if i'm looking for info on a development in Winnipeg I don't need to jump through this labrynth of sub-forums.

Right now, with just a single click on Man/Sask I can access all the information I need on politics, current issues, and the latest developments in both provinces.

Isn't that way more elegant / efficient than clicking several times in different places because that's what the cool kids in BC & Alberta do?

Look, I'm just a lowly Computer Science grad who subsidizes his pitiful existence by working as a software developer and webmaster.

It's not like I know anything about user interfaces.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 2:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Personally, I think this whole discussion has more to do with Keeping up with the Joneses in Alberta, BC, and Ontario.

I just don't know if their way of organizing threads is something we want to mimic.

Take Vancouver for instance..Downtown Vancouver has its own forum, the suburbs and Fraser Valley has another.

I sorta like that if i'm looking for info on a development in Winnipeg I don't need to jump through this labrynth of sub-forums.

Right now, with just a single click on Man/Sask I can access all the information I need on politics, current issues, and the latest developments in both provinces.

Isn't that way more elegant / efficient than clicking several times in different places because that's what the cool kids in BC & Alberta do?

Look, I'm just a lowly Computer Science grad who subsidizes his pitiful existence by working as a software developer and webmaster.

It's not like I know anything about user interfaces.
Hmm.....you sound like a typical "I don't like change/anti-progress" Winnipegger more and more with each passing day

Regardless, I stand by my opinion in terms of the organization format. We can always have a Winnipeg sub-form similar to that of Edmonton in the Alberta section, where there isn't any strict organization, however it would be a subforum dedicated specifically to Winnipeg instead of wading/searching through a bunch of Saskatchewan threads. Compromises can be made.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Hmm.....you sound like a typical "I don't like change/anti-progress" Winnipegger more and more with each passing day

Regardless, I stand by my opinion in terms of the organization format. We can always have a Winnipeg sub-form similar to that of Edmonton in the Alberta section, where there isn't any strict organization, however it would be a subforum dedicated specifically to Winnipeg instead of wading/searching through a bunch of Saskatchewan threads. Compromises can be made.
Wading/searching through all 4 or 5 of the regularly active Saskatchewan threads? That must be a real challenge for you.

I absolutely agree with OLT. Particularly about his "keeping up with the Joneses" theory. Although I think that pertains to some people more than others...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 3:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
Wading/searching through all 4 or 5 of the regularly active Saskatchewan threads? That must be a real challenge for you.

I absolutely agree with OLT. Particularly about his "keeping up with the Joneses" theory. Although I think that pertains to some people more than others...
I think Migs might disagree with you on the 4 or 5 Sask threads, don't you think? And again, I come here to see Winnipeg/Manitoba updates/news, and that is pretty much it, which is why I would prefer to see this implemented.

And BTW, this is to open up discussion on what changes some would like to see on this forum. And the more I think of it, the more I am for keeping both provinces under one forum with a Winnipeg sub-forum for the Winnipeg topics, either organized like a local ssp or similar to that of Edmonton. Either way would work, IMO. And for the Saskies, they won't have to wade through the plethora of Winnipeg topics to get to what they want to discuss.

Last edited by RTD; Jan 20, 2011 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 3:48 AM
working stiff

It sounds like there are two competing mindsets: organized chaos and organized by discussion topic.

Analogy time!

Material on the ground is not stickied (it floats around). The filing cabinet drawers represent each city's respective construction thread.

Something like this could work but I'm also comfortable with the mess

I'm not supporting this for Saskatchewan's sake. We don't have a lot of off-topic discussion, or individual project threads.

I should have broken the poll into SK/MB and made it public...hahaha

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 3:59 AM

Hahaha, very fresh analogy, Ruckus

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 9:23 PM
I am a typical

I don't think a full local format for Winnipeg is warranted. Instead of the approach of a former administrator, of separating everything into little niches, we should let the forum's traffic determine how we make organization decisions.

Give Winnipeg a subforum within Mansask as it exists now. If a lot of off-topic discussion results there, create an off-topic section within Winnipeg. If a lot of sports talk happens there, add a sports section in addition to the Off-topic section. If Restaurants and bars then becomes a dominant subject in Off-topic, create a section for that, etc.

Likewise for Saskatchewan. If the creation of a Winnipeg subforum encourages more Saskatchewan members to post, and Saskatoon becomes a dominant topic of discussion, a similar section can be created for it.

This is the most organic way to organize the forum, it will deal with the clutter/overshadowing issues and be easier for members to navigate than having them subjects to a total reorganization and compartmentalization of the subforum overnight.

In the meantime, I suggest Adrian go through the subforum and add a icon to any thread that has to do with Saskatchewan, and a icon for any non-Winnipeg Manitoba thread, to make it easier to identify them, as is done in P&C.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Once again, what is the holdup? The large majority of members want their own forum for their own province.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Once again, what is the holdup? The large majority of members want their own forum for their own province.
Sorry, but what would be the point again? I hope you don't think it would help keep outsiders from posting in the 3 or 4 active Saskatchewan threads.

Now, if it were me, I'd make one Western Canada forum, with sub-forums for any city or region with more than 3 or 4 active threads. So that would be Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Winnipeg. Sounds good to me, and would make it easier for me to keep up with what's going on in the west.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Sorry, but what would be the point again? I hope you don't think it would help keep outsiders from posting in the 3 or 4 active Saskatchewan threads.
Thats the point, the other threads would likely be more active if they didn't get buried at the bottom because of some Manitoba threads that Saskatchewan people don't care about. Now its pretty obvious that there are some Winnipeg people infatuated with Saskatchewan issues that they go as far as infesting our threads with the same goofy arguments over and over and over again. Says more about them then anything else in my opinion. Its actually gotten to the point where many Saskatchewan people don't want to participate because of these monotinous misinformed rhetoric from the have not province to the east.

Separate the forums and you'll get alot less of that, case in point you don't see any people from Vancouver, Toronto, or the Maritimes telling Saskatchewan people what they should or shouldn't do, or that they we are being dishonest about conversations we've had with certain individuals. I am sick of it, and its getting to the point where I no longer want to participate either.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:48 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought. My thoughts have been validated.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought. My thoughts have been validated.
My point has been validated as well. The majority has spoken!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 11:25 PM

Perhaps there would be more Saskatchewan threads if visitors to the site weren't immediately overwhelmed with Manitoba threads.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 11:33 PM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Exclamation

I could care less about what goes on in Saskatchewan. Please separate the forums!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 12:00 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thread locked

the head admins do not see the traffic to warrant the need

Last edited by Tony; Jan 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM. Reason: spelling ;)

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan