HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 5:56 PM

I guess we all agree or at least see that SA grew the MOST in #, not fastest %-wise, 2008-2009.
Here is another list that shows TOTAL growth (in #, not %) over the last few years; city not metro.

cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 9:14 PM
Paradise

What made S.A. grow so much?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 9:44 PM
James

^^^ it's very inexpensive to live here. Also, steady job growth, military expansion, and the recession really didn't hit too hard here... at least, that's what I've gathered, I could be wrong.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 10:39 PM
Paradise

Is S.A.'s economy looking good right now to maintain good growth? Supposedly the national economy is just going to slow even more.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 1:28 PM

The numbers can be a bit misleading, remember they are for city, not metro. Like stated before, if SA sees an increase population, it will be more than likely be in SA proper. Houston shows only 284K for 2000-2009, but actually, Houston metro grew by over 1 million in that same period.
Either way, we still grew alot. Reasons? Toyota, expansions in Westover Hills, new employers moving in, high birthrate, cheap housing, good retirement location, expanding military, general increase in need for services, education, medical, etc.

Is SA looking good? Well, as I opened the online SA business journal, two of the stories are about expansion and growth. SWBC looks to hire 65, and Gore Design Completions is looking to hire 150 to 200 more; I'd say thats a start.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 4, 2010 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
The only Texas city with really big suburbs is Dallas/Ft Worth. Houston to much lesser degree.
I'm a bit of a pop stat bug and happened to notice this thread today. Actually Austin also has big suburbs (or what ever you want to call them). Austin city proper is something like 700k while metro is 1.7. So its suburbs are bigger than its city proper by 1/.7 = 1.4 times.

You could run similar stats for Dallas and Houston. I think SA is the anomaly of the big 4 of TX - its metro is about the same size as the city proper. Houston is ~2.2M for city vs 6M for metro, so its burbs are 2.7 times bigger than city proper. Dallas is a total mixed bag. (caveat, pop figures are rough estimates from memory)

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Either way, we still grew alot. Reasons? Toyota, expansions in Westover Hills, new employers moving in, high birthrate, cheap housing, good retirement location, expanding military, general increase in need for services, education, medical, etc.
I don't think that the cost of living in San Antonio is really that much lower. But there is a big difference that I would agree with and that is "cheap housing".

There is a lot of "cheap" housing and that is not really a good thing. Houses don't seem to hold their values or appreciate like they could/should because there are so many neighborhoods where they've built cheap housing.

I think that's one of the reasons they have to annex to increase their tax base because many of the old neighborhoods just don't stand the test of time. And of course those areas eventually hurt the better constructed neighborhoods as they fall into disrepair.

Many people add wealth by selling a house that has appreciated in a healthy market.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I don't think that the cost of living in San Antonio is really that much lower. But there is a big difference that I would agree with and that is "cheap housing".

There is a lot of "cheap" housing and that is not really a good thing. Houses don't seem to hold their values or appreciate like they could/should because there are so many neighborhoods where they've built cheap housing.

I think that's one of the reasons they have to annex to increase their tax base because many of the old neighborhoods just don't stand the test of time. And of course those areas eventually hurt the better constructed neighborhoods as they fall into disrepair.

Many people add wealth by selling a house that has appreciated in a healthy market.
San Antonio is growing due to job growth not because of a abundance of cheap housing.
San Antonio isn't any different than other city as far housing. You will find The same builders in Austin, Dallas, Houston etc. San Antonio is a older city so it will have many more older neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean they were built cheaply or lower quality. There are some neighborhoods that need to be rehabilitated.

As far as appreciation San Antonio has ranked high, at the top of many lists.

http://www.searchsahomes.net/builder...kets-for-2010/
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 5:55 AM

Quote:
San Antonio is growing due to job growth not because of a abundance of cheap housing.
San Antonio isn't any different than other city as far housing. You will find The same builders in Austin, Dallas, Houston etc. San Antonio is a older city so it will have many more older neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean they were built cheaply or lower quality. There are some neighborhoods that need to be rehabilitated.

You misunderstood. I was not trying to insinuate that growth was related to cheap housing, but that housing was the biggest factor in SA having a lower cost of living. And, that it wasn't necessarily a good thing; you want your property value to increase.

I emphasized "cheap" housing as being a factor; maybe the city can demand better quality.

Really, probably the biggest factor is the market itself. Builders will build what they can sell. If you consider salaries it's all relevant.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 12:32 PM
Paradise

According to this

27. San Antonio Metropolitan Area: 2,122,994

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 2:14 PM

Quote:

http://www.searchsahomes.net/builder...kets-for-2010/
I would actually call some subdivisions built from 1990-present, "cheap" housing. San Antonio is an older city, and I think the quality of the older neighborhoods (although some need serious rehab) are better than any new homes built today. Cost of living ties in with price you pay for housing, which is cheaper here than in most parts of the country. That does have something to do with growth if the people thinking of moving here for a job have to factor in how much they have to pay for housing.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 6:20 PM

Quote:
I would actually call some subdivisions built from 1990-present, "cheap" housing. San Antonio is an older city, and I think the quality of the older neighborhoods (although some need serious rehab) are better than any new homes built today. Cost of living ties in with price you pay for housing, which is cheaper here than in most parts of the country. That does have something to do with growth if the people thinking of moving here for a job have to factor in how much they have to pay for housing.
Like the nationwide KB (Boxes)which is probably what you are referring to.
So how is San Antonio at the top of cheap housing?
I'm comparing Texas, it's a no brainer that Texas housing is lower priced than the east and west coasts and a chunk of the midwest.

As far as Texas, San Antonio is no different.

San Antonio has 14 KB neighborhoods it's building in
http://www.kbhome.com/Map~RegionID~17.aspx

Austin has 17
http://www.kbhome.com/Map~RegionID~2.aspx

Houston 22
http://www.kbhome.com/Map~RegionID~7.aspx
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
I'm a bit of a pop stat bug and happened to notice this thread today. Actually Austin also has big suburbs (or what ever you want to call them). Austin city proper is something like 700k while metro is 1.7. So its suburbs are bigger than its city proper by 1/.7 = 1.4 times.

You could run similar stats for Dallas and Houston. I think SA is the anomaly of the big 4 of TX - its metro is about the same size as the city proper. Houston is ~2.2M for city vs 6M for metro, so its burbs are 2.7 times bigger than city proper. Dallas is a total mixed bag. (caveat, pop figures are rough estimates from memory)
Austin is 786k and probably closer to 800k So about 900K non city proper population and out in the metro.

San Antonio is at 1.373 and 2.122 so about 750 K in the metro, not much different. DFW on the other hand has the most suburbs then Houston.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 8:03 PM

I never said CHEAPEST, only cheap.

Quote:
....and that was one of many factors I put out. I also included job growth. It has to be many things, not just one.

Quote:
Like the nationwide KB (Boxes)which is probably what you are referring to.
So how is San Antonio at the top of cheap housing?
I'm comparing Texas, it's a no brainer that Texas housing is lower priced than the east and west coasts and a chunk of the midwest.
And that is why Texas cities were at the top of the list of population change.

Quote:
As far as Texas, San Antonio is no different.

San Antonio has 14 KB neighborhoods it's building in
http://www.kbhome.com/Map~RegionID~17.aspx

Austin has 17
http://www.kbhome.com/Map~RegionID~2.aspx

Houston 22
http://www.kbhome.com/Map~RegionID~7.aspx

You're right, most of Texas is the same. However, KB doesn't build all of the city, so when comparing the median home price, you will see a small difference.
*2008-2009 stats*
  • Austin - $176,000
  • Houston - $147,000
  • Dallas - $154,000
  • San Antonio - $145,000
stats from the Center for Housing Policy
Fort Worth is $130,000 by the way.

SA has the lowest median price out of those 4. 2nd lowest if you include Fort Worth.
Yes, KB Homes may be cheap (according to your example); but when our's in SA are starting at $90K and the same one is going for $115K in Austin, our housing is cheaper/more affordable/less expensive/ lower cost, whatever you want to call it..... so we might not be the cheapEST but being AFFORDABLE is one of the factors as to why SA grew so much, (that was the original question) as well as other Texas cities.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I never said CHEAPEST, only cheap.

....and that was one of many factors I put out. I also included job growth. It has to be many things, not just one.

And that is why Texas cities were at the top of the list of population change.

You're right, most of Texas is the same. However, KB doesn't build all of the city, so when comparing the median home price, you will see a small difference.
*2008-2009 stats*
  • Austin - $176,000
  • Houston - $147,000
  • Dallas - $154,000
  • San Antonio - $145,000
stats from the Center for Housing Policy
Fort Worth is $130,000 by the way.

SA has the lowest median price out of those 4. 2nd lowest if you include Fort Worth.
Yes, KB Homes may be cheap (according to your example); but when our's in SA are starting at $90K and the same one is going for $115K in Austin, our housing is cheaper/more affordable/less expensive/ lower cost, whatever you want to call it..... so we might not be the cheapEST but being AFFORDABLE is one of the factors as to why SA grew so much, (that was the original question) as well as other Texas cities.
The KB's in Austin start at the exact price as San Antonio's at 89K and Houston's start at 77K. Are we looking at the same kb web site?
And it looks like KB got away with the box look, they don't look to bad.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 11:18 PM

I'm shocked Tampa is at 125k.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio