HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 2:20 AM

SA - Agora Palms Highrise Condos

There is a new development at 281/1604/sonterra blvd which will be called Agora Palms, it is also directly across 281 from the 1 million sqft office complex that will be the future HQ for TESORO (my friend and my sis-n-law, who both work for TESORO, say that the design of the building for TESORO looks like multiple floored buildings built into the ground like inward skyscrapers... whatever that means, i can't wait to see though)!

Agora Palms is being developed by the DOMINION ADVISORY GROUP of SAN ANTONIO (askdag.com), and is a projected to have office buldings, medical office buildings, condos, multifamily, retail, and a high rise condo tower! i am still awaiting more info from a source who is part of the project... and will inform y'all of that info as soon as i receive it! i am hoping to know the floor count on the highrise and also to know more details upon what style they are going for as a development concept, though with the name AGORA PALMS, i would assume something very urban with a californian/floridian/tropical palm tree-ish theme!

i'll keep y'all posted!!!

matt

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 3:11 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I read somewhere else there is a sign posted off 281 near Sonterra advertising this project and with the details on the highrise condo.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 3:16 AM

Also, agorapalms.com is registered and was created in May of this year by Dominion Advisory Group. This is just my opinion but I may have to rethink my position on the 281 corridor. I would place the 10 corridor ahead of 281 with The Shops, The Rim and everything planned for the southeast corner (all that retail, office, hotels, housing, highrises, etc) but with everything planned for 281 north of 1604 including the toll roads I have to rethink that opinion. Legacy, Park Place, Tacara, the office park with the Tesoro HQ and now Agora Palms.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Aug 6, 2007 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 5:05 AM

i definitely see things off 281 becoming crrrrrazily developed with all the new highrise condos and developments coming into that sector! let's not forget that there is actually a high rise condo suppose to be a part of LEGACY as well! they are having for-rent apts in the middle of the urban center part but there is suppose to be a highrise condo on the part that runs right against sonterra blvd!

that sign you are talkin about is in front of that open field on the southbound access rd right before sonterra blvd.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 5:44 AM

Did you read what the sign said?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 8:46 PM

how high rise. 10 floors

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 1:55 AM

Where did you get ten stories?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 2:30 AM

I looked at the sign again today and it did not specify floors.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:04 AM

So where did Adtobias come up with that number? Did he make it up or is he talking about something else?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:13 AM

I dont know. Maybe it was a question..i never really know what he is saying on this forum or city-data.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
So where did Adtobias come up with that number? Did he make it up or is he talking about something else?
I think it's a song lyric...
"10 floors high....how rise....rise how..."

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:07 AM

Quote:
He's being realistic this is san antonio. The apartments near I10/huebner that are 8 stories got marketed as "highrise living" yet its technically not a highrise.

And there are no buildings of substantial size anywhere along the I10/1604 corridor or along the 281/1604 corridor. Height would have to be worked up...You can't just smack down a 30 story building where there aren't even any 10 story buildings. So this building will probably be between 8-12 stories. Thats better than nothing though.

Oh i did forget about the one official highrise being built..Talavara at the Rim. Oh and the 10 story drury inn at 1604/I10. If anything that area has a better chance of seeing a true highrise first before the 281/1604 area.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
He's being realistic this is san antonio. The apartments near I10/huebner that are 8 stories got marketed as "highrise living" yet its technically not a highrise.
Techniacally it is. A high-rise building is a building that exceeds six stories in height and is equipped with elevators.

Quote:
And there are no buildings of substantial size anywhere along the I10/1604 corridor or along the 281/1604 corridor. Height would have to be worked up...You can't just smack down a 30 story building where there aren't even any 10 story buildings. So this building will probably be between 8-12 stories. Thats better than nothing though.
Who is saying this or anything will be 30 stories? I'd be fine with 10, I wasn't questioning the number because I felt it was too low but because he said 10 stories so I wanted to know where he got it from, when another poster said he saw the sign and it had no numbers listed I asked if abtobias made the number up or was talking about anther development.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:14 PM

Quote:

Who is saying this or anything will be 30 stories? I'd be fine with 10, I wasn't questioning the number because I felt it was too low but because he said 10 stories so I wanted to know where he got it from, when another poster said he saw the sign and it had no numbers listed I asked if abtobias made the number up or was talking about anther development.
It just seemed like you were stunned that the building could realistically only be 10 stories. I guess it's hard to tell just through ones typing.

And i Kept thinkin of what defines a "skyscraper" which is why i kept bringin up the 12 story thing in the previous post.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:31 PM

thank you 21. I hate to be the messenger but 10 floors or 3 or 6 floors is not a highrise. and for spursfan its called a palm treo......its a little hard to type. genius

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
thank you 21. I hate to be the messenger but 10 floors or 3 or 6 floors is not a highrise. and for spursfan its called a palm treo......its a little hard to type. genius
I wasnt trying to insult you..but you can still see what you are typing. Some punctuation would be nice. I use a motorola q to surf the internet sometimes and its really not that hard to type a coherent sentence.

Last edited by spursfan; Aug 7, 2007 at 6:02 PM. Reason: added something

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:12 PM
Meh

Quote:
Techniacally it is. A high-rise building is a building that exceeds six stories in height and is equipped with elevators.
Maybe by San Antonio's standards. Different cities have different classifications for what is labeled a highrise. These are set up usually by the fire department. In Austin 75 feet and higher is considered to be a highrise. That classification earns them certain rules/guidelines that they have to follow regarding fire proofing and other fire safety devices. That's why a lot of smaller projects in Austin are just under 75 feet tall, so they can avoid all the red tape that goes along with a "highrise classification". Getting a highrise classification means a certain type of insurance, (more expensive). So they try to avoid being labeled a highrise. This also has to do of course with zoning laws, and what heights are allowed in certain areas. Outside of downtown and Central Austin the heights are capped at 60 to 65 feet except for a few places. So most of the lowrise buildings in those areas are just under 60 to 65 feet. One example is Austin Community College's South Austin Campus which just a quarter of a mile from my house. The building is 62 feet tall with 3 floors.

Officially at Emporis, though, highrises are classified as any building that is 12 floors or taller or 114 feet 6 inches or taller. The cut off point is actually 115 feet, but the website's system actually rounds up when it's more 6 inches or more above the last foot. So 114 feet 6 inches tall would actually be listed at 115 feet, thus making it a highrise. The cutoff point at Emporis heightwise is 65 feet tall. The website typically doesn't list anything shorter than that, though some editors like myself who are statistical and data nerds do go ahead and list them anyway, but the heights aren't allowed to be listed then. The lowest height that could possibly be listed would be 64 feet 6 inches, which would then be rounded to 65 feet.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Aug 7, 2007 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 7:47 PM

It may be different from place to place and website to website but the official definition of a high-rise is six floors or higher.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 9:56 PM

Quote:
It may be different from place to place and website to website but the official definition of a high-rise is six floors or higher.
How can there be an official definition if it varies from place to place?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 11:23 PM

I apologize, the use of thw word official was a mistake on my part as it isn't official as it is more of a general guideline. I am sorry for using that term and making the mistake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio