HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Separate sub-forums for Manitoba and Saskatchewan
Yes 28 63.64%
No 16 36.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 5:19 AM
working stiff

Separate sub-forums for Manitoba and Saskatchewan?

This arrangement was discussed a few years ago, and if I recall correctly, support was minimal. Have things changed since then? I think so. It feels like there has been an increase in activity in terms of construction and development, as well as more members posting, and creating threads.

Comment in this thread on whether or not you want separate sub-forums for Manitoba and Saskatchewan, or simply respond to the poll.

Thank you.

Last edited by Ruckus; Aug 27, 2010 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 6:41 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I don't think so. Sure, both provinces have grown since the last time we had this sort of discussion (if I recall, it was 2 years ago). This particular section has been bustling a lot more before, but not as busy as the AB/BC section. Then again, they were merged recently, so I don't know.

Still, I'd keep it the way it is, at least for a little while longer.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 8:18 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Why does this have the vibe of being a response to that proposal thread I made a few weeks back XD;;

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 10:32 AM
I am a typical

I don't think it is a problem. Winnipeg drowns most things out but if you remove it, the area will be quite quiet. At most, I would give Winnipeg threads their own subsection (not a local forum, just a section), but I don't think even that is really warranted.

What we could do is institute a system like the building projects section where locations of projects are denoted by a smilie icon that corresponds with the thread. Winnipeg could be , Regina could be and Saskatoon could be , something like that. It would make specific threads easier to spot, perhaps.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 2:26 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

I dont think it needs separation

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
That's because you're looking at it from a Winnipeg perspective. With the exception of the stickied city threads, Saskatchewan threads tend to get drowned out by the very active Manitoba discussion.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 12:37 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
That's because you're looking at it from a Winnipeg perspective. With the exception of the stickied city threads, Saskatchewan threads tend to get drowned out by the very active Manitoba discussion.
From the Saskatchewan perspective, I don't think there needs to be separate sections either.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 2:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
The main question should be, why are they even together? I personally don't care about Manitoba issues and construction so why is it paired with Saskatchewan when most other provinces have their own forums? Each province is doing well enough on its own and IMO deserves its own sub-forum.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
The main question should be, why are they even together? I personally don't care about Manitoba issues and construction so why is it paired with Saskatchewan when most other provinces have their own forums? Each province is doing well enough on its own and IMO deserves its own sub-forum.
I'm with Migs on this. I couldn't care less about what is going on in Saskatchewan (unless it involves my too much of my hard-earned tax dollars going towards an over-priced stadium ). Manitoba has enough of an active membership to keep it active on it's own. Or at least give Winnipeg it's own subsection within the Sask.-Man. forum, similar to what is done for Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, etc.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
I'm with Migs on this. I couldn't care less about what is going on in Saskatchewan (unless it involves my too much of my hard-earned tax dollars going towards an over-priced stadium ). Manitoba has enough of an active membership to keep it active on it's own. Or at least give Winnipeg it's own subsection within the Sask.-Man. forum, similar to what is done for Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, etc.
iam with migs also lets get a divorce, i never look at any of the man forums ever , unless its our tax dollars funding there museum it is also tax dollars , a divorce now

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
The results of the poll speak for themselves. Manitoba is a good province and it doesn't need to piggyback Saskatchewan just to get a little traffic.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 9:58 PM
BANNED

I would like to see Manitoba have it's own section. Winnipeg is a large enough city to keep the new section busy enough on it's own.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 11:06 AM
I am a typical

If you use the thread icon system, they won't get drowned out.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 10:45 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

IF we do split up this board, then it would be nice. However, I don't think it's what we NEED at the moment.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 11:03 PM
I Like It When You Hit Me

I'd prefer to have all the prairie provinces back together, maybe even with BC for a fuller Western Canada board.

Its good for Manitobans to get a better sense of what else is going on in the world, rather than this isolationist thing.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 7:33 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I don't think so. Sure, both provinces have grown since the last time we had this sort of discussion (if I recall, it was 2 years ago). This particular section has been bustling a lot more before, but not as busy as the AB/BC section. Then again, they were merged recently, so I don't know.

Still, I'd keep it the way it is, at least for a little while longer.
Yeah, I think we'll revisit this on an annual basis or something. The poll results and comments do not motivate me enough to do this at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Why does this have the vibe of being a response to that proposal thread I made a few weeks back XD;;
lol, no worries man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I don't think it is a problem. Winnipeg drowns most things out but if you remove it, the area will be quite quiet. At most, I would give Winnipeg threads their own subsection (not a local forum, just a section), but I don't think even that is really warranted.

What we could do is institute a system like the building projects section where locations of projects are denoted by a smilie icon that corresponds with the thread. Winnipeg could be , Regina could be and Saskatoon could be , something like that. It would make specific threads easier to spot, perhaps.
Great idea with the emoticons. I suspect it would require regular maintenance on the moderators part as people fail to adhere to existing forum standards (sourcing photos, articles, etc...). I'll give it more thought over the next few days.

Winnipeg has a very active membership, with regular contributors to several mega threads. The same cannot be said for Saskatchewan. It's analogous to how most mega threads in the Canada section operate with larger cities dominating discussion and image posting threads -- supersaturation is not a healthy state. A predictable outcome given there is more activity in the larger centres, and a larger pool of geeks to draw from.

Where is the Sask. ADHD contingent!?!?!

As many have already expressed, I'm content to leave things as is. We can revisit this topic in the future if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
My position as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post
I'd prefer to have all the prairie provinces back together, maybe even with BC for a fuller Western Canada board.

Its good for Manitobans to get a better sense of what else is going on in the world, rather than this isolationist thing.
I shared your preference (for the same reasons) while the Western Canada disaggregation process was being discussed and acted upon. I am not sure I would still support a unified Western Canada section -- too messy to navigate, and it suppresses active thread diversity. I want to believe if Saskatchewan and Manitoba had their own sub-forums, there would be a noticeable increase in thread topics for each respective province. More thread topics = appeal to more people = more members contributing = improved SSP forum viewing experience!

That is all for now -- G'nite!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 11:48 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Myself, I'm fine with how it is..

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 11:07 PM
GQMF

14-5, majority wins. Let's split already.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 1:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

its been brought to the attention of the admins

Last edited by 1ajs; Jan 17, 2011 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 1:59 AM
BANNED

Thanks .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan