HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Of course they do. Look at the diet of people in poverty. A lack of education about nutrition leads to a diet of convenience that is incredibly unhealthy, which drains city resources.

A lack of education leads to poor self worth, which results in litter. It results in hopelessness, which leads to crime. It results in ignorance, which allows them to be taken advantage of financially. All of these things consume and drain our resources.

If I could snap my fingers and change two things in Philly right now:

1. Fix our schools -- and when I say fix, I mean teach our children about Constitutional Law, how investing works, how the economy works, how to make your own food.

2. Create a massive urban farm initiative -- we should be growing food in the city in large quantities, both indoor and outdoor. I'd see Philly pioneer urban farming.
Totally agree about all these points. For #1, one of the biggest problems is our system looks at education as mostly primary and secondary. That worked fine when people graduated into a mill job they would have for 30 years. But now, we need to evolve into a continuing education model to help make the workforce more agile to new technologies/ changes. I’m a big fan of transitioning schools into community centers that serve the end-to-end educational needs of the community. Won’t solve everything, but helps shift away from instability in job security today.

For #2, yes! This is also an opportunity to connect rural and urban America. The city can grow food, and we can create partnerships with farmers in the state to setup massive farmers markets like reAding terminal throughout the city to expand access to quality food.

I’d add a #3 that we need to refocus on community wealth growth by encouraging more local, small businesses. When people shop at Walmart, Amazon, etc all those profits are sucked out of the city, robbing communities of wealth they used to have with mom and pop shops. If we could spur more small businesses in each community, it would diversify the economy and build a trickle up economy rather than this trickle down economy that is robbing communities of their wealth and character.

Last edited by ScreamShatter; May 6, 2020 at 12:03 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post

1. Fix our schools -- and when I say fix, I mean teach our children about Constitutional Law, how investing works, how the economy works, how to make your own food.

2. Create a massive urban farm initiative -- we should be growing food in the city in large quantities, both indoor and outdoor. I'd see Philly pioneer urban farming.
Philly public school student: We don't have a nurse or library in our school. Our bathrooms have no soap to wash our hands in the lead-infused water. I breathe asbestos almost every day of the week.

You: The Constitution says you have freedom. Also, this is how compound interest works.

Philly public school student: Wow, I'm not poor anymore. Thank you, sir. I'm going to go farm now.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 4:04 PM

Snarkiness aside, all but the most determined ideologue (on either side) thinks that our current system is either beyond redemption or working perfectly. This is totally off topic, but I commend offline reading of "Small is Beautiful" (which others echoed years later in "Small is Still Beautiful." There is an economic philosophy called "Distributism" (which contrary to the way it sounds is rather conservative in origin). It has been criticized as too simplistic and not suited to a non-agrarian context (i.e., the modern world), but I think open minded reflection on some of the concepts can inform thinking about how to simultaneously advance economic security and the freedom of self-sufficiency. Here endeth the sales pitch.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 4:20 PM

Hey Boku, let’s give each other a little leeway on here. The way I understand Repar’s ideas were making sure our schools are prioritizing core and foundational information like basic civics, personal finance/budgeting, etc. That’s a pretty fair analysis of a major gap in educational curriculum across the country. Very much needed, I think.

To your point, schools are lacking resources for facility upgrades/renovations, nursing and guidance counselor staffing, etc. That’s why I suggested our schools need to be evolved into more community center campus models to centralize services better. In doing so, we could refocus school days where older students could study from home multiple days a week which opens up capacity of classrooms to consolidate Phillys amount of schools. The city could offload facilities in bad condition and use the sales to renovate the new community center schools.

So many ways to tackle it but lots of moving pieces to provide better services to students and communities. Schools being the hub of community services is a start the right direction.

Last edited by ScreamShatter; May 6, 2020 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:31 PM

I'm trying not to be a jerk here, but I don't think any of you know what it really means to be poor. Kids should "attend" school from home a few days a week? Oh ok, who's giving them a laptop? Who's paying for their Internet access? Do you have any idea how many kids depend on the meals their schools provide them five days a week? What if their home environment is violent? What if they don't have a home?

I just can't get over this:

Quote:
Like...what.

Ok, I'm done. Carry on.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
I'm trying not to be a jerk here, but I don't think any of you know what it really means to be poor. Kids should "attend" school from home a few days a week? Oh ok, who's giving them a laptop? Who's paying for their Internet access? Do you have any idea how many kids depend on the meals their schools provide them five days a week? What if their home environment is violent? What if they don't have a home?

Like...what.

Ok, I'm done. Carry on.
Do I really need to spell this out for you?

Farther up in the thread I mention that Philly students need to learn in modern, new buildings that offer all the amenities of a school like Lower Merion.

You make fun of my suggestions without even trying to understand what's behind them? If our children understood their basic rights and also how our money works, it would go a long way to lifting them out of poverty and giving them confidence.

The world happens to poor people, they have no power over it, but if they knew that cops couldn't do certain things to them, and that they can invest money into their future selves, or even feed themselves -- it would be powerful.

One thing that I'll add to my list:

Free mental health treatment --- many of these children need a ton of guidance and emotional support to heal generations of emotional trauma.

I know this is all pie in the sky, but making fun of my suggestions makes you look ridiculous. My goal is to lift people out of poverty and give them confidence, self-worth and a structure to build a life on.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post

Like...what.

Ok, I'm done. Carry on.
It’s ok to disagree or have a differing perspective. Let’s just remain respectful and look for common ground.

My point about a strong community education campus that has social services embedded in it would tailor its services to the needs of the area (which definitely could include what you highlighted). By consolidating services into an education community center, it makes education a central community lynchpin sitting in the middle of social services and businesses—similar to what churches have done but in an expanded sense.

Everything I’m highlighting is how services and businesses have shifted out of communities today, taking with them all the benefits. We need to pull all of that back down to communities, and I believe schools should be repositioned as central figures in that shift.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 9:36 PM

So I have a quick question regarding taxes and population increase. As the cities population increases would city revenue increase as well? Since their are more tax payers are more people buying items wich have sales taxe. Or would the city make the same amount of money and lower taxes to account for an influx of new people?

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 12:20 PM

^
In theory, revenue would increase. In practice, that may not happen 100% of the time. For instance, I know several young professionals who sublet rooms in the city, use a permanent address outside the city, and work outside the city or from home and so they avoid most the major taxes. Same could apply to immigrant workers too who get paid under the table and may shop at large wholesalers in the burbs.

Revenue and “making money” or profit/budget surplus are different, and different groups of people would generate more revenue with less expenses than others.

Consider a young professional making $100k/year who buys a $400k city home. That person will generate around $4k in wage tax revenue per year, and the year of purchase and sell the house they will pay a 4% property transfer tax which comes to roughly $16k. So in year 1, this individual has generated over $20k in taxes to the city, plus all sales taxes from groceries, eating out, etc. Now consider a lower income family of 4 with two incomes of combined $40k. That family pays around $1600 in wage tax a year. They rent so no direct property tax (though the owner would pay it as a business expense). The two children go to school which Philly says they spend roughly $9k/student, plus this family will get other benefits with assistance on food, medical, reduced energy bills, etc. At high levels, this family would end up costing the city over $17k per year, and that’s before factoring in costs of police, firefighters, and other city services. Philly has closed this gap some by getting credit for more population in the census which increases phillys state and national budget.

Disclaimer, the above are directional examples, obviously not weighing every tax or situation. Generally, this is why Philly has been trying to attract young professionals because that group generates the largest spread between tax revenue and city services expenses.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by ScreamShatter; May 7, 2020 at 12:36 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 12:28 PM

Brining it back to discussion of low-rise developments...

Took a walk around the 8th and Market area this morning. Plenty of work being done in the area. Of note, it looks like demo work on 737 Walnut Street is nearing completion. As a reminder, here is what the final product is supposed to look like:

Image pulled from this document: https://www.phila.gov/media/20200501...nut-St-sup.pdf

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 4:13 PM

Demo Next to El Bar, Cool Building Upcoming

Coming soon

Existing site

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...lding-upcoming

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 4:16 PM

Surface Lot Turning to Apartments on Corinthian, Near Girard College

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...girard-college

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Brining it back to discussion of low-rise developments...

Took a walk around the 8th and Market area this morning. Plenty of work being done in the area. Of note, it looks like demo work on 737 Walnut Street is nearing completion. As a reminder, here is what the final product is supposed to look like:

Image pulled from this document: https://www.phila.gov/media/20200501...nut-St-sup.pdf
Awesome! That's way better than what's there and the cornice line adds good rhythm

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Demo Next to El Bar, Cool Building Upcoming

Coming soon
Are those fake windows going up the front?

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 1:33 PM

^ Pretty much. Don't love it, but interesting to see a mural so integrated into the facade. Beats rattling windows, I guess?

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
^
In theory, revenue would increase. In practice, that may not happen 100% of the time. For instance, I know several young professionals who sublet rooms in the city, use a permanent address outside the city, and work outside the city or from home and so they avoid most the major taxes. Same could apply to immigrant workers too who get paid under the table and may shop at large wholesalers in the burbs.

Revenue and “making money” or profit/budget surplus are different, and different groups of people would generate more revenue with less expenses than others.

Consider a young professional making $100k/year who buys a $400k city home. That person will generate around $4k in wage tax revenue per year, and the year of purchase and sell the house they will pay a 4% property transfer tax which comes to roughly $16k. So in year 1, this individual has generated over $20k in taxes to the city, plus all sales taxes from groceries, eating out, etc. Now consider a lower income family of 4 with two incomes of combined $40k. That family pays around $1600 in wage tax a year. They rent so no direct property tax (though the owner would pay it as a business expense). The two children go to school which Philly says they spend roughly $9k/student, plus this family will get other benefits with assistance on food, medical, reduced energy bills, etc. At high levels, this family would end up costing the city over $17k per year, and that’s before factoring in costs of police, firefighters, and other city services. Philly has closed this gap some by getting credit for more population in the census which increases phillys state and national budget.

Disclaimer, the above are directional examples, obviously not weighing every tax or situation. Generally, this is why Philly has been trying to attract young professionals because that group generates the largest spread between tax revenue and city services expenses.

Hope that helps.
Yes it does, thanks for clearing that up.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 7:16 PM

Floating classroom on Schuylkill?

https://www.inquirer.com/science/cli...ium%3Dsharebar

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 1:05 PM

Townhouse development at Broad and Fitzwater. I would have loved this is be a high-rise but for what it is, the materials are top notch.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:15 PM

^ Bonus points for the cornice on top!

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:54 PM

^A super handsome project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development