HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:52 PM

I would cut off my pinky toe if it meant that Related would fail to build the south tower after completing north tower.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:53 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
If they are using waterfall as inspiration for the architecture, they should just call it the Waterfall Towers instead of 400 N. LSD
The Falls
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 10:21 PM

SOM did a great job. The details look elegant.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 10:29 PM

Has presentation been posted yet? I don't even know where to look on the Alderman's website? He said it would be posted this morning.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 10:35 PM

Two water ways and a busy LSD on three sides? This is going to be amazing watch rise with the complication the small work area provided. Big Red has it's hands full.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 11:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude_Sandstorm View Post
I would cut off my pinky toe if it meant that Related would fail to build the south tower after completing north tower.
What do you mean?

What are your plans for the south tower than if it would not be built as is?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 11:46 PM

How do we get this one?

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
What do you mean?

What are your plans for the south tower than if it would not be built as is?
My biggest fear now as well. This would look pretty unbalanced as a single tower, the design really hinges on them being a matched pair. With only one planning construction, and economic uncertainty ahead... well you know.
Haven't there been many instances of planned twins only to have the second one abandoned, or redesigned? I would like to see this built, provided we are indeed getting both. If things change, and a decade passes, are they really going to stick with the original plan, and source the exact same glass and terra cotta?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 1:06 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
How do we get this one?
We don't.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 11:54 PM

Reilly shared the presentation with lots of rendering and diagrams in his weekly email

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post

Care to bet if we'll see fugly louvers on those grey shaded mechanical floors?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 12:05 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
]

Interesting, those height tags don't actually point to the tops of the towers on the revised diagram. A mistake? or could the actual structural heights be more like 900' & 790'?

Every little bit of extra height they can squeeze out of them will help from a skyline perspective.

I'm still totally in love with the design. These will be excellent additions if they're built as shown.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 14, 2020 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Interesting, those height tags don't actually point to the tops of the towers on the revised diagram. A mistake? or could the actual structural heights be more like 900' & 790'?
If I had to guess, it looks like whoever put the presentation design together probably had the models scaled 1:1 but then was asked to or someone else made the new model taller to match the height of the previous version without moving the labels. The 875 label is more or less 875 on the left hand model

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 1:09 AM

Quote:

Every little bit of extra height they can squeeze out of them will help from a skyline perspective.

I'm still totally in love with the design. These will be excellent additions if they're built as shown.
I think the new buildings are "inside" the original diagram in the Revised Design. The gold-ish color represents the new building footprint within the original design.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 2:16 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
If I had to guess, it looks like whoever put the presentation design together probably had the models scaled 1:1 but then was asked to or someone else made the new model taller to match the height of the previous version without moving the labels. The 875 label is more or less 875 on the left hand model
My first thoughts as well. Perhaps they thought the new design looked inferior being represented as smaller so they just scaled it up larger to match the old one.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 2:28 AM

I gotta even though I am disappointed with the height reduction they still look great and will be a good addition to the skyline

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 3:15 AM

Quote:

I thought the original heights were 1100ft for the South tower and 850 ft for the North tower. Neither of those previous heights are indicated on this diagram. I agree with Steely ,there may be no definitive height established on these two. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my behalf.?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 9:39 PM

Yeah agree with most on here. The design is unique and beautiful (like a man made waterfall) and the terracotta elements would be stunning up close and passing by on LSD. These with the finishing of DuSable park and the Flyover will make this stretch of lakefront feel complete.

Also just an interesting fact the north tower will be the tallest building directly facing the lake. So while the impact on the skyline from other angles will be barely impacted, this thing will pop from the mouth of the river, the lake and Navy Pier. If parcel I is built as proposed that area of the city will certainly be the climax of the skyline when viewing from the lake especially when considering Vista and Trump straight down the river.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 10:39 PM
DENNAB

I wonder if they still plan to get started in May (which was originally when they'd break ground if I'm not mistaken?)

Nice to see other Chicago construction powering through Covid in any case (whether unwise or not)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I wonder if they still plan to get started in May (which was originally when they'd break ground if I'm not mistaken?)

Nice to see other Chicago construction powering through Covid in any case (whether unwise or not)
It's confusing, the developers said Early 2021, but they need to start construction in May or lose zoning.

Unless the project gets approved next month and breaks ground a week or two later they'll have to work through a longer approval process, which could be what they want, to wait out the virus until early next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction