HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 6:02 PM
of Canada

Calgary - Texas North?

First of all, I don't think so. That's not my experience anyway.

But then I'm just an average middle class, middle age, married, white guy with a couple of kids living in an average neighbourhood. So from my point of view all is good with the city. Except of course the first world problems I experience like piles of snow and ice everywhere and switch problems on the CTrain.

This forum has members from all sorts of backgrounds and from everything you all say, it's not only my experience that Calgary is a great place to live.

So it pisses me off when I read or hear things like Calgary is a backwards, conservative, racist, homophobic, name your favourite stereotype sort of place (not ranting because of anything I heard here - another forum). Most of it seem to be from people who have never been here.

But there are a few who are here and have that opinion. I suppose a bad experience will trump any sort of real evidence to the contrary. And I don't really want to argue with someone who's mind will never be changed. So usually I just ignore it.

Rant over.

So how do you deal with it? For obvious reasons this is here and not in the Canada section.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
First of all, I don't think so. That's not my experience anyway.

But then I'm just an average middle class, middle age, married, white guy with a couple of kids living in an average neighbourhood. So from my point of view all is good with the city. Except of course the first world problems I experience like piles of snow and ice everywhere and switch problems on the CTrain.

This forum has members from all sorts of backgrounds and from everything you all say, it's not only my experience that Calgary is a great place to live.

So it pisses me off when I read or hear things like Calgary is a backwards, conservative, racist, homophobic, name your favourite stereotype sort of place (not ranting because of anything I heard here - another forum). Most of it seem to be from people who have never been here.

But there are a few who are here and have that opinion. I suppose a bad experience will trump any sort of real evidence to the contrary. And I don't really want to argue with someone who's mind will never be changed. So usually I just ignore it.

Rant over.

So how do you deal with it? For obvious reasons this is here and not in the Canada section.
The perception of Calgary is changing, 20 years ago everyone from out East would share the view you described. Now only some of them do. If Calgary continues to strengthen it's diverse and active inner city that image will go away.

Same way that Toronto is seen as a active cultural, high-activity place with diversity of choice and lifestyle in an incredible urban setting. Even if the Rob Ford types that make up much of suburban Toronto are actually more numerous than the that image.

Live your life in a way that reflects the Calgary you want to see. That is the only way to deal with backward idiot by supporting lifestyles that are different than them.

Also this thread shouldn't exist because it will turn into a bunch of nonsense in about 3 posts

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 1:53 AM

Well said MasterG. I agree with all of it. I can understand where these sterotypes came from and it will take time for them to dissipate, but Calgary is certainly headed in the right direction. From my personal experience, the news is starting to spread that Calgary is growing and changing for the better. Let's keep that train running.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 2:52 AM

Just ignore what people say, they only demonstrate their ignorance when making comments like that.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post

I agree with you, however this is where I see a problem in your view. You title somehow questions that Calgary is like Texas due to your(or others) perception of Texas being all those things you just suggested.

I would suggest that just as Texas is not homogeneous nor is Calgary. As an american who's family has deep roots in Texas ( before the modern day state) I can assure you that Houston is different than Austin which is different then El Paso.

People that can label a group of people that is some 26.5 million people into one group and try to draw simplistic comparisons to a city of 1.2 million people are just foolish.

PS. I'm not trying to be a dink, but just noticed the title tends to be a bit of the same thing as your arguing against.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 5:15 PM

I think the Alberta-Texas comparison has as much to do with a misunderstanding of Texas as it does a misunderstanding of Alberta. Of course Texas has social issues - perhaps worse than most, given its history - but to frame the state as a negative epithet is obviously off-base in numerous ways.

In terms of history, culture, and politics, Alberta shares much more with the Rocky Mountain states of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah. But even those comparisons can be a large stretch at times.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 6:39 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
I agree with you, however this is where I see a problem in your view. You title somehow questions that Calgary is like Texas due to your(or others) perception of Texas being all those things you just suggested.

I would suggest that just as Texas is not homogeneous nor is Calgary. As an american who's family has deep roots in Texas ( before the modern day state) I can assure you that Houston is different than Austin which is different then El Paso.

People that can label a group of people that is some 26.5 million people into one group and try to draw simplistic comparisons to a city of 1.2 million people are just foolish.

PS. I'm not trying to be a dink, but just noticed the title tends to be a bit of the same thing as your arguing against.
I get what you're saying. Really, the stereotype is just as offensive to Texas as Calgary. I regretted the thread title (and the thread in general) almost as soon as I hit "Submit New Thread." Too late now. But it does point out what you have said.

The title actually came out of the comment I heard on another forum. In replying to the comment there, I should have also pointed out that the assumption about Texas was also unfair.

Maybe Calgary is Texas north but for good reasons and not stereotypes.

I'm sure there are jerks in even the most enlightened city.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 9:38 PM
Inflatable Hippo

This can be an astute observation or insanity depending mostly on context.

Culturally Calgary is solidly Mountain West while Texas and especially Houston is culturally the South. Although Texas does draw on the Mountain West frontier mentality.

Economically and especially with Oil and Gas the similarities are a lot more compelling. Although Texas has been a whole lot more successful at economic diversification than Alberta.

Our doppelganger is Denver, I find it downright spooky.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 1:15 AM
power to the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
This. Right down to the incomplete ring road.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 5:57 PM

Calgary is a fast-growing, cosmopolitan city with among the highest quality of life ratings in the World. Of course it's going to attract its share of detractors, particularly in a country where no other city has achieved even nearly the degree of success and growth. I really don't think it's all that different than those who complain about Toronto...it's a form of envy, a justification for why they do not live in a particular place where all the action is happening.

And I am sure a lot of the Texas stereotypes are rooted similarly. Regardless of any negative perceptions people may have about Texas, it's got tremendous economic growth and surging cities. Like Alberta on a larger scale.

Personally, I don't at all mind being compared to Texas (and Houston) even if these comparisons are inaccurate. I agree that Denver (and Colorado) are much closer to equivalency with Calgary, especially with regard to population. But Texas is an easier fit for the negative perception certain people attempt to create.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 6:09 PM
ARTchitecture

Anyone who thinks Calgary is "Texas North" is a complete moron. We have better urban planning than any city in Texas, we are more socially progressive than anywhere in Texas, we are more politically progressive than almost everywhere in Texas, and hell, we don't even have a coastline. The only thing comparable that we have is a large oil economy.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:00 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
This can be an astute observation or insanity depending mostly on context.

Culturally Calgary is solidly Mountain West while Texas and especially Houston is culturally the South. Although Texas does draw on the Mountain West frontier mentality.

Economically and especially with Oil and Gas the similarities are a lot more compelling. Although Texas has been a whole lot more successful at economic diversification than Alberta.

yep

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:10 PM
BANNED

^Reminds me of the Cow town to Now town slogan I've heard a few times to describe the new Calgary.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Yes - X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
Calgary is a fast-growing, cosmopolitan city with among the highest quality of life ratings in the World. Of course it's going to attract its share of detractors, particularly in a country where no other city has achieved even nearly the degree of success and growth. I really don't think it's all that different than those who complain about Toronto...it's a form of envy, a justification for why they do not live in a particular place where all the action is happening.

And I am sure a lot of the Texas stereotypes are rooted similarly. Regardless of any negative perceptions people may have about Texas, it's got tremendous economic growth and surging cities. Like Alberta on a larger scale.

Personally, I don't at all mind being compared to Texas (and Houston) even if these comparisons are inaccurate. I agree that Denver (and Colorado) are much closer to equivalency with Calgary, especially with regard to population. But Texas is an easier fit for the negative perception certain people attempt to create.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:27 PM

Houston is the center of the aerospace (NASA) industry + Innovative health care.
Dallas is known for its high-tech companies (Texas Inst.) + Aerospace (Southwest)
Austin is home to SXSW and is more liberal than most people think.

Calgary is a Freaking great city and only getting better and to be compared to these
Texas cities is not a insult.
I look forward to seeing Calgary and Edmonton develop over the next 20-30 years.
It's always a cool thing when you have to buy a new Calgary city atlas every 2 years because there is that much growth.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 9:58 PM

Having been to places such as Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, and various parts of west Texas I would say that there isn't really much alike between Calgary and Texas except for the oil company head offices. IMO many of the small Texas towns and cities remind me of Alberta towns, for example Midland reminds me of Grande Prairie, but the large cities are not really alike.

I would also echo the sentiment that the large cities in Texas aren't as conservative as we think they are. I was very surprised to find them quite liberal and forward. I believe Calgary, just like Dallas or Houston suffers from some old stereotypes.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 10:22 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
...I would also echo the sentiment that the large cities in Texas aren't as conservative as we think they are. I was very surprised to find them quite liberal and forward. I believe Calgary, just like Dallas or Houston suffers from some old stereotypes.
^^ +1

Most definitely the case that Texas is fighting an age old stereotype. Case in point, just 6 weeks ago Houston's lesbian mayor married her partner.

Meanwhile in Toronto, Rob Ford ....

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:53 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
Austin is home to SXSW and is more liberal than most people think.
Its stereotype is that it's a progressive nirvana in a redneck sea. It's actually more conservative than people think outside of certain areas. It sprawls insanely and has a thick gun culture but "people think" that it's the twin sister of Berkeley. It isn't.

I get so tired of the comment above about how Alberta has so much in common with eg Montana- Montana has virtually no urban life whatsoever and Alberta has two major cities and its population is around 80% urban. I cringe when people say that Alberta has more in common with Montana than with Ontario- that's bull. We do however have more in common with BC and Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Another vote for post of the day, right on.

I go to Denver about 3-6 times per year for work and communicate weekly with our Denver office.

Things I would like to import from Denver to Calgary
- broncos NFL franchise and team.
- Denver airport layout, but to YYC sized operation, love the pinwheel design of the runways.
- Denver RTD rail and road transport system. Their version of LRT kicks butt on the NW and west lines. Their buildout and commitment to expansion cannot be beat.
- toll road for the ring road.
- RTD west corridor 6th ave bridge bridge led light display.
- regional multi city approach to rapid transit and road network.
- ability to interline the LRT lines at the end of the line.

Things I would like to see exported from Calgary to Denver.
- Calgary skyline is way better than Denver.
- Calgary use of daily LRT (pax count) is way better than Denver. If Denver had calgarys mode share for LRT, the system would be assume.
- Denver is very spread out city form an employment perspective. Drives car as the preferred or only option for transportation. Calgary has better concentration of work office areas to make transit a more viable option.
- Denver airport is very close to the mountains and they get a lot more wind shear and turbulence events than Calgary. If Denver was more to the east the turbulence on arrival would be significantly reduced. My wake up call. On the early morning united flight to Denver is hearing channel 9 pipe in " united 1234 cross RAMS at 13,000 and 259 knots, winds high caution turbulence". I belt myself in so much that I become one with the seat.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Is it just me or does Calgary have a noticeable and increasing west coast(Seattle/Vancouver) influence?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy