HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 2:20 AM

Not sure if this is the place to discuss this but it's probably close enough. Cochrane is looking into offering Internet connectivity as a utility. They think they can offer better service and for much less than private companies. Could be a huge selling feature if they can pull this off.

A grand vision for connectivity in Cochrane

As the rapid pace of growth continues in Cochrane, many within administration and council want to see the town take control of its own internet destiny.

At last week’s regular council meeting, the most comprehensive vision to date of what that would look like was presented to those in council chambers.

The proposal from the town (and partners like Cochrane-based Velocity Networks) includes two distinct elements: a large network of high-speed fiber optic internet, and a comprehensive, all-encompassing app and online platform intended to make Cochranites better neighbors with one another.

“We're saying that fiber and connectivity is like a utility, it should be a municipal utility similar to water and wastewater,” says Dave Devana, the town’s chief administrative officer. Devana and his team are proposing a municipally-operated service including both free wireless public connectivity and home service at a rate significantly lower than the private sector. Projections within the plan for monthly internet rates certainly sound enticing.

"We calculated that if we did provide this internet service, that the current citizen would save anywhere between sixty to ninety dollars a month,” Devana said of the proposed municipal service, which is estimated to cost households about seven dollars per month.

“This is a net gain for every citizen.”

Mayor Jeff Genung agreed with the sentiment.

"If we take sixty dollars, and I'm just using the low end of somebody's internet or wifi cost per month, times twelve, times 11,400 or so households in town, we are saving our citizens 8.25 million dollars a year,” he said. “They're already paying out. So my hope is that money would actually go back into our economy, somewhere.”

The exact details over project funding are still being hashed out, but Devana and Genung said a large portion would come from that seven dollar monthly fee, currently being called a “utility surcharge.”

Councilor Morgan Nagel voiced his own doubts that the town could, in fact, offer internet services at such a low fee.

“I feel like it's just going to be too good to be true. How is it that the town of Cochrane can deliver internet at one tenth the cost of Telus, Shaw and Rogers?” said Nagel.

“These companies are competing with each other, if you can just build internet and sell it for way cheaper, why isn't the private sector doing that, there's got to be something we're missing."

Devana told Nagel that there are good opportunities to capitalize on Cochrane’s current development, saying “It's not that easy for the other companies to provide this at as competitive a price."

“Because we're only thirty thousand people and we have just a couple of key roads, that's actually part of our advantage,” said Devanna, adding that six of the planned 39 kilometers of fiber optics are already in the ground, and much of the rest could piggyback on the digs from current development and the new wastewater pipeline towards Calgary.

The base internet would come through at a relatively-speedy 100 megabits per second (that’s an “up to” figure, however). If any residents or businesses are engaging in internet activities that require service a little quicker, like storing large amounts of data in out-of-town servers, they will have the option to go a step or two up.

Genung hopes the project could entice new firms to join operations like Garmin in Cochrane’s emerging technology industry.

“It will put us on the world stage to attract more tech to our community,” said Genung.

“This community wants to be a player, we are thinking differently about things. The old way of doing things is not our way of approaching it anymore.”

Development of the project was spurred along in January by the prospect of winning a prize in the Smart Cities Challenge, an Infrastructure Canada program offering $5 million, $10 million and $50 million prizes to cities and towns that have implemented a unique, internet-based initiative for bridging real in-person social gaps within their community.

"If it wasn't for Smart Cities, we wouldn't have explored this to this extent,” Devana said.

The town has decided their chances are best with the $5 million prize, and have already sent in their initial proposal to the competition panel. Later this summer, Infrastructure Canada will release a list of finalists for the contest. Those who make that shortlist will be awarded $250,000 for the creation of a more developed final proposal. According to administration, this initial funding would play an important role in research and confidence in the project.

Source: http://www.cochranetimes.com/2018/05...ty-in-cochrane

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
“These companies are competing with each other, if you can just build internet and sell it for way cheaper, why isn't the private sector doing that, there's got to be something we're missing."

They're only 'competing' in the Canadian version of competition where there is only one choice, or the government allows them to operate a cartel, or the government regulates competition away, like in industries telecoms, railways, airlines, dairy, banking...

I'm sure Cochrane could sell internet cheaper than the incumbents, given that we pay some of the highest costs for internet in the world and higher than third world countries. If they can pull it off, it's a great idea, but I'm sure our consumer-hating regulators and governments will throw a wrench in it.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post

They're only 'competing' in the Canadian version of competition where there is only one choice, or the government allows them to operate a cartel, or the government regulates competition away, like in industries telecoms, railways, airlines, dairy, banking...

I'm sure Cochrane could sell internet cheaper than the incumbents, given that we pay some of the highest costs for internet in the world and higher than third world countries. If they can pull it off, it's a great idea, but I'm sure our consumer-hating regulators and governments will throw a wrench in it.
If the government is serious about diversifying the economy they need to allow for complete competition to put Rogers, Bell, etc. in their place. We need foreign competition and places like Cochrane offering $7/month Internet.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:

I knew we had it bad but not this bad!

Source: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2018/05/worldsworstpricing/

It's worth reading the article even though your blood pressure will go through the roof while doing so.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 10:02 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:

I'm very interested to see how this works out, less because of the benefits and far more to see if it shows publicly that what we pay for broadband is 90% profit.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:02 PM
BANNED

Globe and Mail sharing info on a report on the opportunities of tourism in Canada. A particular point made is that Canada needs to find ways to push tourism in winter, and winter sports may be the avenue.

Stronger focus on tourism could create up to 180,000 new jobs: report
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...w-jobs-report/

I am sure it will not be lost on the thoughtful that Calgarians just said no to $4B in support of Calgary winter tourism by rejecting the Olympics.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 1:38 PM

That article is talking about Canada as a whole, not Calgary. While that $4B may have represented a good return for Calgarians, it would have been a terrible investment for the rest of Canada - which is why Canadians outside this city applauded Calgarians for rejecting the bid.

'Your side' lost the bid, and it's people misrepresenting things and lying that caused the lack of trust. Quit the whining and move on.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 3:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
it's people misrepresenting things and lying that caused the lack of trust. Quit the whining and move on.
So you drop a false accusation and then say move on. Good thing I didn't have the correct change all those years ago. Moving on.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:56 PM
BANNED

This is a fascinating long'ish read, and has great interactive graphics and a short podcast that will interest many. It is based on two years worth of extensive polling data, and tracks views regarding economy depending on age, gender, provincial voting, municipal voting and education level. The skinny of it is that much of this stuff drive beliefs on views of the economy more than data and evidence. Specifically, it found that if you are a UCP member, for example, your view of the economy trend over the last year is far, far worse than the actual economic data suggests.

Why Calgarians' perceptions of the economy are 'more negative than the reality'
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ling-1.4995703

Would love more discussion about this, particularly the specific data and the parallel to zombie voting as we've seen particularly in the US and particularly on the extreme right. This is where people vote irrespective of facts or how good or bad the current leadership of their historic political affiliation is. Rob Anders come to mind - how did that guy get elected so many times?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:47 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Well I've been negative for a few years now but it has gotten significantly worse in the past 6 months I would say. Outlook is pretty bleak for my industry and my employer. It this point I'm just hoping we survive and I can hang onto my job - whatever is going to be left of it.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Well I've been negative for a few years now but it has gotten significantly worse in the past 6 months I would say. Outlook is pretty bleak for my industry and my employer. It this point I'm just hoping we survive and I can hang onto my job - whatever is going to be left of it.
You may want to read the actual article, which highlights that the data confirms things are actually better, but biases continually make zombie voters assume otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechilds View Post
Saw this on the news this morning.
It's disappointing they are using 2017 data for their economy growth factors...factors which do not tell the whole story. Unemployment dropped? What type of job contributed to this? A massive minimum wage raise happened in 2018...how did this impact the economy and employment #s?

People like Lubicon are the actual "boots on the pavement", and I'd take their word before the vague statistics conducted well over a year ago.
I know real estate is as bad as ever (for sellers and realtors), and I'm kinda curious what the vacancy rate downtown has fared in 2018 (not 2017).
I do agree though pessimism does not help future economy growth.
This election will be interesting.
I'm boots on the ground also, and so are all of the people who were contacted in generating the fact based report. Further, the most interesting point of all the data was the normalized comparison between groups, either based on age or gender or university education or who they voted for. That type of process inherently created a normalization. It is an interesting parallel to the US situation where Donald Trump has united the right, and has a massive group of supporters who will vote for him no matter what, irrespective of facts.

With respect to 2018, separately, it was nice to see the massive up-tick in people coming into the city. I'm curious about vacancy downtown (due to the massive overbuild, particularly with condos).

As an aside, highly recommend you actually look at the extensive article and large data sets, and not rely just on the high-level news report.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:47 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
You may want to read the actual article, which highlights that the data confirms things are actually better, but biases continually make zombie voters assume otherwise.
I'm simply stating my personal situation, which is things have worsened significantly in the past year after treading water since 2015. And there is no light at the end of the tunnel, the outlook is equally as bleak.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I'm simply stating my personal situation, which is things have worsened significantly in the past year after treading water since 2015. And there is no light at the end of the tunnel, the outlook is equally as bleak.
Sorry to hear about your personal situation. Time for a right angle turn.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 8:25 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Single-family home prices falling the fastest in Calgary, down $36K from last year

Robson Fletcher · CBC News · Posted: Mar 13, 2019 1:30 PM MT | Last Updated: an hour ago

Real estate prices continue to fall in Calgary, with single-family homes leading the plunge.

The median selling price for a detached house so far this year has been $456,375, according to daily sales statistics compiled by the Calgary Real Estate Board (CREB).

That's down 7.3 percent — or more than $36,000 — compared with the same time last year.

Year-to-date prices are also down among other housing types, but to a lesser extent.

Attached homes are 2.4 percent lower to start the year, while apartment-style condos are off by 6.1 percent compared with the first 10 weeks of 2018.

Full story at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...creb-1.5054471

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 8:31 PM

Will the feds step in to help in this situation? Why does it seem like Montreal never has this problem?

Calgary video game studio proposal at risk of falling apart over visa issues

The president of a Denver-based video game developer that announced plans to open a new studio in Calgary says the proposal may be cancelled because he is having trouble getting visas.

Local officials called New World Interactive’s decision in February to open an office in Calgary a good news story and a pivot towards more digital jobs in the face of an economic downturn in the capital of Canada’s energy industry. Keith Warner, the developer’s president, said federal immigration officials at the border denied his application for an intra-company transfer work permit.

“There seems to be a huge disconnect between what Calgary and Alberta say they want and what the federal government’s immigration department is willing to support," Mr. Warner said in an interview. "It seems incomprehensible when I’m looking to move millions of dollars into the economy here.”

On his most recent trip to Calgary to open the studio’s office, Mr. Warner said an official with the Canadian Border Services Agency refused his request for an intra-company transfer work permit because the video game developer does not have employees at its Calgary location yet. He said he was granted a visa that company lawyers told him was shorter term and is much harder to renew.

“I told the border guard that if I can’t get in as the company’s first employee here, how am I supposed to hire more employees? He told me to hire a secretary. This is a video game company, there are no secretaries. If I can’t bring my people in, how am I supposed to train the people we hire here? That’s my challenge,” Mr. Warner said.

New World Interactive is a relatively small game studio that created a franchise called Insurgency that has sold several million copies. The developer decided to open a Canadian office to house some of its international employees, under the impression it would be easier to bring people to Canada than the United States. After looking at Toronto and Vancouver, Mr. Warner said Calgary was chosen because of the lower cost of living and similar feel to Colorado’s capital city, the company’s home base.

The CBSA did not respond to a request for comment.

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi has been briefed on the company’s predicament, and Alberta’s economic development minister is monitoring the situation, according to a spokesman for the minister. Mr. Warner said he plans to speak with federal officials this week, including Calgary-area MP Kent Hehr.

Gian-Carlo Carra, a city councillor who represents the ward that includes the company’s new office, said the situation pits local officials against the federal government when they should be working together.

“There’s a real degree of frustration," he said. “As a city and province, we are trying to innovate and diversify our economy. We understand that to further diversify our economy, we need to use one of our strengths, which is our great standard of living at low cost by world standards. Our ability to walk that talk and be nimble is being challenged by federal rules. Our mission as local politicians is to raise awareness about that.”

Full story at: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...art-over-visa/

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Single-family home prices falling the fastest in Calgary, down $36K from last year

Robson Fletcher · CBC News · Posted: Mar 13, 2019 1:30 PM MT | Last Updated: an hour ago

Real estate prices continue to fall in Calgary, with single-family homes leading the plunge.

The median selling price for a detached house so far this year has been $456,375, according to daily sales statistics compiled by the Calgary Real Estate Board (CREB).

That's down 7.3 percent — or more than $36,000 — compared with the same time last year.

Year-to-date prices are also down among other housing types, but to a lesser extent.

Attached homes are 2.4 percent lower to start the year, while apartment-style condos are off by 6.1 percent compared with the first 10 weeks of 2018.

[IMG]https://i.cbc.ca/1.5054474.155248828...8-2019-ytd.jpg[IMG]

Full story at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...creb-1.5054471
As someone looking to buy a house, this is fantastic news. I hope that once I do buy, I don't instantly become selfish and say 'I'm alright Jack' and wish for unaffordable housing. Apparently that's inevitable though.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Provincial government enables Calgary to land the X-Games
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...C122341CF60779

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Fossil fuels are ok as long as they benefit your provinces economy

Quote:
The legislation grants large projects that have agreements with the province – like LNG Canada – a special 3% tax credit on the cost of natural gas. This will bring the company’s corporate income tax rate down from 12% to 9%.

It appears smaller projects like Woodfibre LNG won’t be eligible for the tax break, since it only applies to projects that have signed agreements with the province.

Even before the legislation was tabled, Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver slammed the tax incentives being offered the industry as a “general sellout.”

He said the Green Party will not vote in favour of the legislation, which means the NDP government will need at least a few Liberal MLAs to vote in favour of it.

“I think it’s pretty clear the Greens will not vote in support of this legislation,” B.C. Finance Minister Carole James said in a press conference.

“But this is an important investment for British Columbia, and I think certainly the comments that I’ve heard from the BC Liberals show that they’re in support of LNG. You’ll have to ask (Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson) about that, but I expect that this legislation will go forward.”
https://biv.com/article/2019/03/lng-...income-tax-cut

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 1:02 AM

I don't really agree with per-industry special tax rates, but this should benefit Alberta almost, if not as much as BC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy