HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:01 PM
Near Generational

I guess we are going to agree to disagree.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 7:24 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I don't know why anyone would choose the rusty brown weathering steel instead of silver galvanized.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:05 PM
Build'em high!

My sister lived in Bridgeland when the city was building the 4th st flyover right in front of her place and she never complained about it. The residents of Lakeview need to chill out and then suck it up. Everyone else in the city had had to deal with progress, get used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
The AUC finding was not to colour the riser brown, it was to consider the brown, and "The Commission expects AltaLink to work with residents to attempt to minimize the visual impacts of these specific transmission line structures.", which can absolutely include filtering out bad ideas.

I think it's fine to listen to that one guy, but it makes no sense to take that comment and act on it without filtering it through a process to see if it makes sense.

The off-the-cuff remark being sworn testimony doesn't make it any less off-the-cuff. That guy did not go into that hearing with a request for the colouration of the risers. He went in with a request for the colour of the concrete bases, and hadn't considered the colour of the poles before he was asked. He also didn't represent the community.

This indeed was the outcome. But it was the outcome of asking 1 person, who was part of an exclusive, non-representative 7-person group, not the outcome of engaging with the community.

I will say that I'm not overly worried about the risers, but I do think that the colour was a mistake that should be corrected. I totally appreciate others not thinking much of this issue, and thinking that the residents are being ridiculous, but I think it's disingenuous to claim that this was the result of engagement, that the 'request' was based on thoughtful consideration, or that the AUC mandated this direction.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 3:39 PM

That's the beauty of having a communist country like China. You get to be part of the free market economy as it suits you, and get to have total control over your citizens when needed. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
These are just itty bitty poles. You should see the massive 250m tall concrete pylons that are used to carry power lines over the Yangtze River at Nanjing if you want truly huge power pylons.

People these days will complain about anything.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
That's the beauty of having a communist country like China. You get to be part of the free market economy as it suits you, and get to have total control over your citizens when needed. lol.
That's almost a word-for-word quote that Vancouver's mayor made a few years ago, except there was no lol in his message. I wish I was kidding.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Apparently the Environmental Appeal Board has already submitted their recommendations to the Minister of the Environment regarding the opposition to filling in wetlands near the Weaselhead. No indication on when the decision will be issued.

Any bets that the Minister dismisses all complaints, but does it on the 24th to mitigate reaction?
I have little faith in an NDP government to make a decision I would agree with. Perhaps she will surprise me.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:34 PM

If the complaints aren't dismissed it's effectively saying that the contracted engineers are less qualified in how to design a massive piece of infrastructure to withstand flood events than a few local busybodies.

I truly hope (and believe) that is not the case. This should never have gone this far though. As I've said before giving these people a 'fair' hearing makes them believe their complaints are legitimate, and encourages them and others to hold up other stuff in the future.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 12:34 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
Of course, in this case it's not like they have a lot of choice anyway. The Yangtze River is over 1km wide at this point, so huge pylons are absolutely essential.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 5:58 AM

No word on release of environmental appeals decision for Calgary's southwest ring road

Alberta minister has appeals board decision but has yet to accept or reject it

By: Brodie Thomas Metro Published on Fri Dec 15 2017

Calgarians who challenged the provincial government on its Southwest Ring Road construction practices near the Weaselhead are upset that an appeals board decision has not been made public.

The province's Environmental Appeals Board (EAB) heard arguments against the province's plan to fill in four wetlands along the southwest corner of Weaselhead Park and south of the park.

Jeff Brookman, one of the appellants, was told that the board's report on the matter was delivered to Environment Minister Shannon Phillips on Nov. 24.

Under the legislation, the appeals board writes a report with a recommendation, but the Environment Minister makes the final decision.

Brookman feels that as an appellant, he should also be entitled to a copy of the report. He's worried that the environment minister is delaying making a decision until it's too late to stop the project.

"If this was good news (…) this government would've press released this on Nov. 24 and made a big deal out of it – that the director hadn't erred, that it's all ok, and that the project will move forward."

Full story at: http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...-for-swrr.html

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 3:54 PM

The construction company initially stated this case was costing it 100 000$ a day. If that is still the case the NDP continue to amaze by sitting on this decision.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyd View Post
The construction company initially stated this case was costing it 100 000$ a day. If that is still the case the NDP continue to amaze by sitting on this decision.
The article says the complainants are worried the minister is delaying the decision to ensure the project gets too far along to be able to stop. If true, although it's is the wrong way of going about things, it will result in the correct outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Brookman feels that as an appellant, he should also be entitled to a copy of the report. He's worried that the environment minister is delaying making a decision until it's too late to stop the project.

"If this was good news (…) this government would've press released this on Nov. 24 and made a big deal out of it – that the director hadn't erred, that it's all ok, and that the project will move forward."

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
The article says the complainants are worried the minister is delaying the decision to ensure the project gets too far along to be able to stop. If true, although it's is the wrong way of going about things, it will result in the correct outcome.
It is weird that the decision hasn't been made public. Are they fighting within cabinet over it? There's also talk that the decision will be released at the end of this week which doesn't sound good at all.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:09 AM

Stoney Trail Winter Construction Update

There's a construction update out for the SWRR which includes a couple of new photos.

Newsletter link: http://www.swcrrproject.com/wp-conte...tter_Dec18.pdf

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 3:20 PM
Near Generational

I gotta give KGL a lot of credit. They are going above and beyond to be as neighbourly as possible to the adjacent communites.

As an example, the haul road across 6th street SW near Somerset has been shut down for the winter. They picked up the steel plate they put down to protect the road and removed the traffic signals. It's my understanding that they will be re-opening in the spring. Removing and re-installing this crossing costs more money that simply leaving it in place over the winter.

I do know they were having issues with the signals, they were flashing red after hours and on weekends which was quite annoying. Maybe that had something to do with it, but regardless it was a nice touch to remove everything.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I gotta give KGL a lot of credit. They are going above and beyond to be as neighbourly as possible to the adjacent communites.

As an example, the haul road across 6th street SW near Somerset has been shut down for the winter. They picked up the steel plate they put down to protect the road and removed the traffic signals. It's my understanding that they will be re-opening in the spring. Removing and re-installing this crossing costs more money that simply leaving it in place over the winter.

I do know they were having issues with the signals, they were flashing red after hours and on weekends which was quite annoying. Maybe that had something to do with it, but regardless it was a nice touch to remove everything.
I could see the need to plow the road being reason for removal.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
I could see the need to plow the road being reason for removal.
It's a bit of both. The plows don't negotiate the transition from asphalt to steel very well, despite this crossing being one of the better ones.

As the haul isn't running over the winter, the signal and plates were removed as it's recognized that the signals are sub-optimal condition.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 1:08 PM

Yikes! Anything to keep the project from moving along! Are these people grasping at straws or is there any merit to their complaints?

Complaints filed against engineers over dust levels at southwest ring road gravel pit

Bill KaufmannBILL KAUFMANN
More from Bill Kaufmann
Published on: December 27, 2017 | Last Updated: December 27, 2017 5:39 PM MST

Critics of southwest ring road construction and a gravel pit supplying it have filed several complaints about the conduct of engineers involved in the work, says a Calgarian who issued one of them.

And the body that oversees engineers in the province has taken under consideration complaints that argue work being done by engineers for Alberta Transportation compromises the safety of both the environment and the health of Calgarians.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ring-road-work

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 3:59 PM

The NDP is still sitting on the decision regarding the wetlands.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 8:03 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^
Any update on when we'll hear the decision ?
(Anyone ... anyone?)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^
Any update on when we'll hear the decision ?
(Anyone ... anyone?)
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ental-concerns

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure