HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyd View Post
Has almost every city paid art installation been from a foreign artist? They really should source these things locally. This one is a complete joke.
Government procurement over a certain $ threshold is required to be open to trading partners.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Government procurement over a certain $ threshold is required to be open to trading partners.
Pretty low limit.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Pretty low limit.
Since the art is part of the larger recreation complex, to not have everyone just subcontract the projects into lets say, $99,000 chunks, to avoid the requirement, the requirement for all parts of the project is the same.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 1:30 AM
BANNED

Excellent news about Calgary landing the 2023 World Petroleum Congress. Congratulations to the municipal government team leading the bid.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5423217/c...leum-congress/
Quote:
Calgary has been selected to host the 2023 World Petroleum Congress, the “Olympics of oil and gas” where people in the energy industry dive into advances, operations and management issues.

It was chosen by the World Petroleum Council early on Sunday after a fourth-ballot 21-20 win in St. Petersburg, Russia. The city was up against Baku, Azerbaijan; Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan; Dubai, United Arab Emirates; and Buenos Aires, Argentina.
https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2019...-congress.html

https://2023wpc.com/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Excellent news about Calgary landing the 2023 World Petroleum Congress. Congratulations to the municipal government team leading the bid.
What about thanking the province?

How is this going to work with the BMO Center? I thought the expansion isn't due to be completed until 2025?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 2:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
What about thanking the province?
The current provincial government did not have much to do with the process at all, which began a long time ago.

https://calgaryherald.com/business/e...oleum-congress
“Calgary’s bid was strong and demonstrated significant municipal and industry support, while showcasing the benefits of hosting in a city that’s bursting with energetic community spirit and a welcoming western hospitality,” Denis Painchaud, chairman of WPC Canada, said in a statement.

Quote:
How is this going to work with the BMO Center? I thought the expansion isn't due to be completed until 2025?
The articles and press release highlighted it was jointly being hosted by the TELUS Convention Centre and the BMO Centre. If the full expansion is completed I suspect TELUS would be out of the running - but it would also depend on hotels.

This is a major event and important from shining a lens on a particular industry that is important to the city, but it is smaller than the Rotary meeting.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 2:19 PM
BANNED

Here is a short video on the announcement. Again, congratulations to those who have made Calgary great again:
https://twitter.com/WPC_Canada/statu...10899628957697

This interview from St. Petersburg may also be helpful. A very important note here is that this event will not just be an economic boost, but will be a boost for industry:
https://twitter.com/GlobalCalgary/st...45391853993984

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:19 PM

Time for Term Limits on City Council

After 27 years alderman Ray Jones is retiring, 27 years in the same political job WTF!

City council shouldn't be a job for life but that is what it has turned into. It's almost impossible to defeat an incumbent councilor or mayor due to overwhelming advantage the incumbent has in name recognition over the other candidates. Lack of party affiliation at the local levels is part of the problem as new entrants can't even run under a Liberal or Conservative banner. It is just too difficult for new candidates to garner 40% of the vote to unseat an incumbent councilor when running against 9 or 10 other no name candidates.

Druh Farrell who is widely disliked has still been able to win re-election 5 times, once with less than 40% of the vote and only once has she garnered more than 50% of the vote. We haven't had an incumbent mayor defeated since Ralph Klein beat Ross Alger in 1980. If Bronconnier hadn't retired Nenshi would never be mayor and if Duer hadn't retired Bronco would never have become mayor ..... it goes on and on. The lack of fresh blood and ideas is killing this city and the recession is exposing the mayor and council as one dimensional (keep spending). The only saving grace for next year is a number of councilors are retiring after their decades of service, hopefully the mayor does too. Three terms is long enough.

One year out from the next municipal election, city council’s longest serving member is stepping down from his Ward 10 seat due to “health concerns.” Coun. Ray Jones announced Monday he would retire, effective end of day, after serving on council for 27 years.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ealth-concerns

2010 municipal election
Farrell was reelected to serve Ward 7 in the 2010 election for a 3-year term, taking 43% of the votes in a closely contested battle over runner-up Kevin Taylor, who took 38%.[8]

2013 municipal election
Farrell was reelected to represent Ward 7 in the 2013 election for a 4-year term by capturing 37% of the votes. In 2nd place with 28% was Kevin Taylor, followed closely by Brent Alexander with 26%.[9]

2017 municipal election
Farrell was reelected to serve Ward 7 in the 2017 election for a 4-year term with 41.0% of the vote. Her only close competitor in This election was Brent Alexander, who garnered 37.5%.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druh_Farrell

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Last edited by jawagord; Oct 19, 2020 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:43 PM

The spending and donation limits of late (some reversed by the UCP) would have/have done a lot to reduce incumbency advantage. I am fine with long term elected representatives, and I think there is also a role for quasi parties which organize to find and support aligned candidates.

Really, it is on us as citizens to organize to replace people who aren't living up to the role. Much like how Druh attracts a boat load of opposition, so too should suburban long term incumbents.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:53 PM

Yeah, if we are unhappy with our representatives, it's on us.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:16 AM

See the problem is that you have councillors such as Farrell that have an influence in the decisions made for other wards. Us in the rest of the city may be getting the screw job because of her among others but because she gets just enough votes in her own ward there you go. This is government and it’s not going to change but I think a term limit may be a worthwhile thing to even consider.

Parties is not the answer since it just becomes more of a large corrupt machine than it already is which was why my opinion of Farkas and the “Conservative Choice” bunch was automatically bad even though I agree with him on some things. I’m the last one to be an apologist of the city government (or any government these days), but I would say cutting spending very much is about the last thing you want to do when there is a recession. I think there is bloat and a lot of spending where there probably shouldn’t be. The current formula with what seems to be some of the highest tax rates you can find is not working. It was like when Doug Shweitzer was having a tantrum about the city’s spending. He wasn’t all wrong, but he was conveniently skipping over the fact that the province takes a huge chunk of property taxes.

I’ll say this, as much as I am absolutely not a fan of the councillors such as Farrell, Wooley, Carra, and probably almost all of the rest of them and also not a fan of our mayor, I think at least half of the issue is the unelected city bureaucracy/management. That bunch seems like a real disaster from what I can see and there’s no getting rid of them.

Apparently last election we couldn’t get rid of any of them no matter how much some of us wanted to.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 2:00 AM

Civic Election

Advance Voted today. You fill out a voters form and then receive a ballot with an oval to fill in beside your choices and then they run the ballot sheets through a machine which supposedly tallies your votes.

Voted Farkas for mayor.
Yes to Fluoride
No to removing equalization
No to year round DST
And picked 3 Maverick ‘s for senators (the medium is the message)

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:07 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Looks like a mixed result for ya then it would seem. I voted here in Edmonton for Sohi, Kinney for Senate, pro DST, pro keeping equalization as is though I could give a single F about anything but my own ward race in Metis which my second choice claimed. So mixed bag myself.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy