HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 8:51 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Not a dumb question per se, but if you’d read the article it says that newer plastic is much cheaper thsn recycled plastic, so the answer is yes it’s possible but realistically know it isn’t.
Then we should probably just put it back into the ground.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:01 AM
Here and There

We might be needing new solutions to the ever growing garbage problem. I think cost slowly wont be a factor anymore and the green tech surge will be born from necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Then we should probably just put it back into the ground.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
We might be needing new solutions to the ever growing garbage problem. I think cost slowly wont be a factor anymore and the green tech surge will be born from necessity.
Which problem, specifically? It's not like we are running out of space for landfill. I don't like burying it either, it just feels wrong, but we should put our biggest efforts into the things that matter most. If it is super expensive to recycle plastic, then it's probably better to spend that money elsewhere and bury the plastic. All hypothetical, of course - I don't know how the economics stack up.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:31 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Which problem, specifically? It's not like we are running out of space for landfill. I don't like burying it either, it just feels wrong, but we should put our biggest efforts into the things that matter most. If it is super expensive to recycle plastic, then it's probably better to spend that money elsewhere and bury the plastic. All hypothetical, of course - I don't know how the economics stack up.
Might also be useful to separate it like we are now, and bury it in a dedicated plastic landfill so it would be available for future reuse.

Of course far better would be a big change in how much disposable plastic we are producing.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 8:03 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
But we are. You cannot just put a landfill anywhere, there are geologic controls that dictate where one is feasible and those areas are not easy to find, and when they are they are being found further from the municipalities they serve meaning increased costs.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
But we are. You cannot just put a landfill anywhere, there are geologic controls that dictate where one is feasible and those areas are not easy to find, and when they are they are being found further from the municipalities they serve meaning increased costs.
Maybe that's technically true but I can't say I believe it's going to something we'll need to worry about for a long, long time. Calgary has what, three?, landfills within its limits. Unless we have exceptional geology which just happens to suit landfills, I don't think the rest of the prairie is going to be much different.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 6:33 PM

City renting trailers to store un-recylables

More Blue cart silliness, current city council just can’t get past their ideology, some things are just garbage, no one wants this plastic, burn it or bury it or stop using it.

Last year, it cost nearly $300,000 to rent semi-trailers to house the hard-to-reprocess material, a practice dating back to September 2017. The packages now fill 100 storage units with 1,600 tonnes of plastics, said a city official.

That could bring the total spent to about $500,000 and the volume of plastics and the amount expended to store them at the Shepard Landfill site is growing at the pace of two to three trailer units a month.

Ward 7 Coun. Druh Farrell said dumping the plastics in a city landfill would come at a monetary cost, just as recycling does.

“Simply reverting back to landfilling, we can’t go back to that and I have hope our recycling team will make progress on this,” she said.

Even so, if the plastic stockpiling endures for a considerable length of time, “at some point we may need to look at a major decision” on the material, added Farrell.

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...9-d04ce7757aff

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
More Blue cart silliness, current city council just can’t get past their ideology, some things are just garbage, no one wants this plastic, burn it or bury it or stop using it.

Last year, it cost nearly $300,000 to rent semi-trailers to house the hard-to-reprocess material, a practice dating back to September 2017. The packages now fill 100 storage units with 1,600 tonnes of plastics, said a city official.

That could bring the total spent to about $500,000 and the volume of plastics and the amount expended to store them at the Shepard Landfill site is growing at the pace of two to three trailer units a month.

Ward 7 Coun. Druh Farrell said dumping the plastics in a city landfill would come at a monetary cost, just as recycling does.

“Simply reverting back to landfilling, we can’t go back to that and I have hope our recycling team will make progress on this,” she said.

Even so, if the plastic stockpiling endures for a considerable length of time, “at some point we may need to look at a major decision” on the material, added Farrell.

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...9-d04ce7757aff
Global recently had a series of stories about how the market for recyclables is drying up everywhere. What a frickin' waste of money. Druh needs to admit that the "major" decision to be made isn't all that major--we need to stop trying to recycle items that have no market for them because what we're doing is worse than throwing them in a landfill.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
So 40 cents per person.

I do agree we should try and stop using plastics.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy