HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 9:46 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Probably Otis.......but they make 2 kinds....the abomination hydraulic kind that are slower than stairs and the cable style ones for taller buildings (over 4 floors?) 56 years old? Really???? That is amazing! Is it cable or hydraulic?

It must have had an overhaul at some point.........
There are 7 floors, so it is cable, and it has been maintained and repaired as needed through the decades. The cab isn't the standard size so we will have to have the replacement custom built. The identical building next door replaced their elevator a couple of years ago and I believe they went without elevator service for 3 months. I don't know if the other 2 buildings on the cul de sac have replaced theirs yet.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 10:06 PM
Here and There

Nice!! Though, it was probably serviced ($100,000) at some point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
One of my old buildings (Park Place) had original OTIS ones from the 60's when I lived there a few years ago, though they were just preparing to do a replacement not long after I moved.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster3 View Post
Our building isn't stucco but it is peach coloured aluminium siding and red brick. Balconies are on the list for next year and if we rip up balconies, which are also covered in the siding, we might as well do the whole thing. I am really looking forward to getting rid of the siding and would like to get out of the brick but a lot of people have told me that is a bad idea. The building is four storeys and has 38 units. So exterior work is going to be a relatively large job.
I think I am moving into this building in July.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:59 PM

There was a couple of units for sale in it. Did you get the one bedroom or the 2?

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:24 AM
BANNED

There has been some research done that concluded condo living was less healthy, as while people have the option of paying a facility for exercise, the amount done and by the proportion that takes it up doesn't come close to regular lawn maintenance, snow shoveling and gardening that owners of traditional homes do.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
There has been some research done that concluded condo living was less healthy, as while people have the option of paying a facility for exercise, the amount done and by the proportion that takes it up doesn't come close to regular lawn maintenance, snow shoveling and gardening that owners of traditional homes do.
By the same token, you could live to be 120 if you refrain from having any fun, but then, what's the point

Also, if you saw some research, post the research, it would be an interesting study for people to read.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 6:55 AM

There has been some research done that concluded suburbs living was less healthy, as while people have the option of walking miles to get groceries, get to school/work, visit acquaintances etc, the amount done and by the proportion that takes it up doesn't come close to regular physical activity done in a dense inner-city.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:21 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
There has been some research done that concluded suburbs living was less healthy, as while people have the option of walking miles to get groceries, get to school/work, visit acquaintances etc, the amount done and by the proportion that takes it up doesn't come close to regular physical activity done in a dense inner-city.
FTW

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:25 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Just like many condo owners, numerous home owners don't take up the option to complete regular lawn maintenance, snow shoveling and gardening and instead hire a landscaping company. That wouldn't suit your argument though would it?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Since when is gardening and lawn mowing exercise, maybe for a 60 y/o? Living in the suburbs promotes obesity! People hoping into their big suv's and hitting up all their favorite drive-thrus. No need to ever get out of the big padded seats!

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 4:05 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Cites.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy