HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 5:26 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I say CAL gah ree...
same here

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 5:47 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
The English pronunciation came from the Spanish "coronel" whereas the spelling was later standardized on the French "colonel". Blame the French.

This probably has similarly confused origins dating back to Norman times when "luef" may well have been the spelling and when the later French spelling of "lieu" appeared it would often have been spelled as "liev" given the interchangeability of 'u' and 'v'. Throw in a bit of a notion of a "left hand man" and there you have your pronunciation-spelling mismatch.

Confusing matters further still is the fact that in the Royal Navy the pronunciation is "le-tenant". Note also that the American "loo-tenant" is incorrect as well: on a purely phonetic basis it would be "lee'euh-ten'an[t]" (French-derived rules) or "lee'oo-ten'ant" (English-derived rules).

One of English's biggest problems in terms of spelling is the fact that when we adopt foreign loanwords we just take the word in as it is spelled in whatever language it came from (typically knocking out anything vaguely resembling an accent, whether it is or not) rather than respelling it to match English rules. Sometimes we try to retain the original pronunciation, sometimes we pronounce it according to English rules (such as they are) and sometimes it just ends up an abomination following no particular rules at all.

For example Chandelier not being pronounced shawn-dell-yay, whereas coup d'etat is pronounced the French way.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 4:31 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
For example Chandelier not being pronounced shawn-dell-yay, whereas coup d'etat is pronounced the French way.
Yes, coodaytah or coudeita or kudataa has a certain je ne sais quoi about it . That example and my respellings sort of indicates the problem, though: even if we decided to respell loanwords, we wouldn't actually know how to do it.

For those who are wondering, an example of an abomination is "coyote".

The original is something like the "co" in the Canadian pronunciation of "cold" for the "co", "yo" for the "yo" and "tay" for the "te", though the first two could end up being reconfigured as "coy-oh-tay".

Variations with "keye/kai" at the beginning and "tee" at the end cannot be described as anything other than an abomination since they follow neither the original nor anything that could be described as an English language "rule".

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 5:27 PM

Mods, please DON'T ask this thread to get back on track. This is fun!

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 6:00 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Spend enough time around non-English speakers who know a decent amount of English, and try helping them "perfect" their English. I just spent a week "living local" in Mexico, and this entire thread has become one big deja vu for me.

Trying to actually explain anything specific about English seems to inevitably boil down to me saying 2 things:

1. Word roots from 4 major languages, and dozens of others. Google where the word is from and you'll be able to spell/pronounce it easier.

2. "That's just how it is - memorize it". I swear, 75% of English works this way.

It's especially fun trying to explain the subtleties of Canadian spelling and pronunciation - most everyone in the world is used to American (or less so, British) English these days.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yes, coodaytah or coudeita or kudataa has a certain je ne sais quoi about it . That example and my respellings sort of indicates the problem, though: even if we decided to respell loanwords, we wouldn't actually know how to do it.

For those who are wondering, an example of an abomination is "coyote".

The original is something like the "co" in the Canadian pronunciation of "cold" for the "co", "yo" for the "yo" and "tay" for the "te", though the first two could end up being reconfigured as "coy-oh-tay".

Variations with "keye/kai" at the beginning and "tee" at the end cannot be described as anything other than an abomination since they follow neither the original nor anything that could be described as an English language "rule".
What about kaw-yoat?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:31 PM

Kalgree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Spanish is the same. You pronounce every damn syllable and strongly. There are a few silent letters, usually "h"s, but other than that, everything is pronounced.

The problem with English is that is has a long and complicated history of languages mixing. There was an early Gallic language spoken (at least I think). Then the Roman conquest added a bunch of words and grammar. Then there was the Anglo-Saxon influence (from the Angle and Saxon invaders from Germany), which I believe is the root of most grammar and syntax, but a lot of Gallic and Latin words were kept. For many words in English, there is both a German-root word and Latin-root word: Torture (German) and Rendition (Latin), Freedom (German) and Liberty (Latin) are some examples.

When the Normans conquered it, a bunch of French was included in the language, mostly to do with administration and military (army, march, marquis). Then, because of the later English empire, a bunch of other words and phrases became included, many from India.

The problem with all of this is that effectively 4 different language groups (Gallic, Latin, French and German) have all influenced English in one way or another. That is why there are no rules that make any sense, and pronunciation is so difficult.
You forgot another major influence: Scandinavian. This is often overlooked because it occurred around the time of the larger Norman conquest. This is how we get words like sky, take, small, etc.

Also, there is surprisingly little Gaelic influence in English. Remember, English didn't start at the Gaelic level, though. The aforementioned Anglo-Saxons "created" the English language, and that's where English language history begins. Despite that, considering the Gaelic languages were right on their doorstep, it is strange that there isn't more Gaelic vocabulary and grammar in English. The only word I can think of is "dad."

Quote:
One of English's biggest problems in terms of spelling is the fact that when we adopt foreign loanwords we just take the word in as it is spelled in whatever language it came from (typically knocking out anything vaguely resembling an accent, whether it is or not) rather than respelling it to match English rules. Sometimes we try to retain the original pronunciation, sometimes we pronounce it according to English rules (such as they are) and sometimes it just ends up an abomination following no particular rules at all.
True in the modern sense, but it seems in previous times, the word would be Anglified to more Germanic looks. Eg boeuf, which is beef in English. If the word entered English vocabulary in the 19th century or later, it probably would just be boeuf in English. There's also strange ones like the word "chic," a word which I'm sure many assume is French and associate it with things like "tre chic." However, the word is actually German, even if it doesn't look like it. It comes from German "schick" and was Frenchified to "chic" to enter French vocabulary, but when it entered English vocabulary in the 19th century, it just took an exact copy of the French version, instead of Anglifying it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 8:25 PM
not a NIMBY

I was at a symphony event last night at Heritage Park so I asked the strangers at my table how they said Calgary and all 7 people at the table agreed it was CAL-gah-ree.
Two were from Russia, 3 native Calgarians, and 2 anglo Quebecers.
I asked them if they said CAL-gree and they all said no.
Like Freeweed pointed out, the "gah" is a quick little hiccup on the way to "ree".
The only time I have ever heard Cal-GARY has been in jest.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 8:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I was at a symphony event last night at Heritage Park so I asked the strangers at my table how they said Calgary and all 7 people at the table agreed it was CAL-gah-ree.
Two were from Russia, 3 native Calgarians, and 2 anglo Quebecers.
I asked them if they said CAL-gree and they all said no.
Like Freeweed pointed out, the "gah" is a quick little hiccup on the way to "ree".
The only time I have ever heard Cal-GARY has been in jest.
I think it's a matter of perception. A lot of people don't realize how they pronounce words (no one thinks they have an accent, right?) and a lot of people aren't perceptive enough (or give a shit) to pick up subtle pronunciation queues.

Cal-GARY is how at least 2 of my friends in Winnipeg say it. And it's not affected, either - they literally think they're saying it exactly as I do. Makes me chuckle a wee bit.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:56 PM
National Capital Region

[QUOTE=ue;5719925
Also, there is surprisingly little Gaelic influence in English. Remember, English didn't start at the Gaelic level, though. The aforementioned Anglo-Saxons "created" the English language, and that's where English language history begins. Despite that, considering the Gaelic languages were right on their doorstep, it is strange that there isn't more Gaelic vocabulary and grammar in English. The only word I can think of is "dad."[/quote]

There may be more Celtic grammar in English than we tend to think:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/langu...es/004037.html
http://languagesoftheworld.info/hist...e-english.html

It goes some distance to explain why learning other Germanic languages can be more difficult than expected for anglophones.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 12:56 AM

^ I'll give the links a whirl, but the main reason that learning other Germanic languages for English-speakers is because all the Germanic languages (except for Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish) are fairly different from one another, particularly compared to Romance languages, which are very similar to one another. Still, I'd argue it's easier for and Anglophone to pick up Swedish over Italian. If it really were that difficult, though, for English speakers to learn other Germanic languages or the flipside -- English being too difficult for speakers of other Germanic languages, then I doubt the highest proficiency in English outside the Anglosphere would be in places like the Netherlands, Scandinavia, Germany, and Austria.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I pronounce it Cal 'guh' ree, with the "guh" being pretty short and not pronounced heavily. I agree with freeweed on this, it is like 2.5 syllables.
I also agree with this. I rarely ever hear a true two syllable Cal-Gree pronounciation, it is more like

Cal-grr-ee

there is usually a distinct middle syllable in there of "grr" but the "a" is definately absent in almost any local saying the name.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 2:41 AM

I grew up in a small community 40 min north of Calgary and everyone I knew including those from Calgary pronounced it Cal-gree. Few pronounced it Cal-guh-ree.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 3:39 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

It's definitely just two syllables for me.

Also, with regards to German's every-letter-is-pronounced thing - Stadt.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 11:10 PM

I say:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW

(just gettin' my voice ready for 'the show' next month)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 11:50 PM

Cal-gree...... Saskatchewans largest city/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 6:50 AM
Here and There

We welcome all pronunciations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy