HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 5:29 PM

Thumbs up New video HD :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzm5l9GShS8

This mammoth structure will rise to exactly 3284 feet, or 1001 meters. The height, in meters, is an allusion to the classic collection of Middle Eastern and South Asian folk tales One Thousand and One Arabian Nights, says London-based architect Eric Kuhne, whose firm designed the tower. To break the kilometer-high mark (which is 3281 feet), the $7 billion–plus Mubarak al Kabir will have three interlocked towers that support the overall structure. These towers, or "blades," pinwheel about a triangular central shaft that holds elevators and mechanical equipment. Each blade twists 45 degrees as it rises, for strength, and expands slightly at the top. This Kuwaiti landmark will therefore place more mass and usable space near its zenith compared to other towers, says Kuhne, to avoid the structure having too thin and flexible a tip. To dissipate high-altitude, tower-buffeting gales that could blow at 150 miles per hour, the Mubarak al Kabir will see the first architectural deployment of vertical ailerons—the normally horizontal flaps airline passengers see on a plane's trailing wing edge that help counter wind disturbances. "They will look like continuous ribbons running vertically along the six leading edges of the three blades," Kuhne says. "As [the ailerons] are constantly moving, and catching the sun while they adjust, sunlight will glint off their surfaces. It will add a gentle rippling reflection to the edges of the blades that will add dynamic sparkle to the tower," Kuhne says. The Burj Mubarak has a projected completion date of 2016

Go KUWAIT

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 5:53 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

I'd love it if they'd ditch those needle-like protrusions. They're just disturbing.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:42 AM

so seen as this is vision, this will never get built right? all along i thought they were getting prepared to build this one

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 11:07 PM

Wikipedia says its construction has started already

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 6:34 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
Hope you are right

would be so wild if Kuwait also really go on with their super tower plans right now.

kinda have a feeling that Iran will join in at the end and build an even taller structure and call it the Tower of babel after all they got the biggest Gdp in the middle east still.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Last edited by Infernal_Elf; Dec 12, 2010 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 6:38 AM

^ That makes me wonder how far Iraq is from building a supertall.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 11:06 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
very good question there Gdp is about the same as Qatar but its sadly still very politically unstable and unsafe because of the last gulf war.

And its not a place where companies outside of the oil sector would want to invest yet i guess. they will probably choose most of the other more developed Gulf states first. and maybe even Iran which has the biggest economy in the Persian gulf still if you just base it on Gdp alone.

all of the economic information was taken from

The world factbook

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ook/index.html

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects