HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Jul 28, 2006, 7:03 AM
Downtology

Wooaah...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheZone
of course it can't be economically justified. No skyscraper too much over 1000 feet can be, because you have to give up more and more floor area to utilities and elevators. supertalls are for show, and this is ridiculous.

awesome design though, however impractical it might be.

edit- ExIth, these new cities are a last-ditch too-late effort by these countries to diversify their economies in the face of the fact that their oil reserves are declining and they currently have nothing to replace them.
So...are they not supposed to try to diversify their economies? That makes no sense. And Dubai's doing a pretty good job of diversifying in large part because they've been busy building buildings that aren't economically feasible, but that are attracting many new industries and tourism. Were the Petronis (sp?) Towers economically feasible or necessary? No! But the new buildings sprouting up around them suggest the area is now attracting business and tourism.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2006, 5:10 AM
WOWWWW

hola chicuelos

Argentina... no se explica ni se entiende, solo se siente

Old Posted Jul 29, 2006, 7:52 PM
`

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateolago
here in Argentina there is a similar proyect. A 1000 mts skyscraper was proposed few months ago.

you can visit de web site to have further information about the proyect to be builded in Buenos Aires, Argentina

www.grupotorcello.com.ar
^ Thats a great render and my new wallpaper. Thanks.

I also have a thread started on this tower here, hoping to get some more info (lots of pics/plans):

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=105115

Old Posted Aug 7, 2006, 1:52 AM
`

Another one?

1852m ‘ethic city’ on the anvil; ‘Eighth wonder of the world’ being planned
By Valiya S. Sajjad - Arab Times Staff
Aug. 6, 2006

KUWAIT CITY: Kuwait will house the eighth wonder of the modern world if the dream project, ‘ethic city,’ takes shape towering more than twice over the ambitious Burj Dubai, the tallest in the world so far. Designed after a desert-rose by an Italian architect Amero Marchetti, the tower, due to be named Al Jaber Tower, will appear like a flower hanging from the heavens on a giant thorny stalk. With an astronomical 1852 meters, the “ethic city” will dwarf some of the renowned skyscrapers in the world.

Amero Marchetti’s agent in Kuwait, Abdul Aziz Al Buainain, talking about the project said “this is too grand a project to go through the conventional channels of planning and approval. The first approval has to come from the Prime Minister’s Office, after which a suitable location has to be chosen to boast an international monument of this stature and significance. “The project will take three months to be studied, two years for drawings and specifications to be prepared and about three to four years for construction after approval. The study of the project will begin in the next two to three weeks,” Al Buainain added.

“The project is still in the ideation stage, and needs sponsors and construction firms to take it further from there. The core team will just be involved in the design and the overall supervision of the project.” The project has been codenamed ethic city, based on the philosophy that has driven its designer to come up with such a concept. Amero Marchetti sees the project as the beginning of a second renaissance, this time toward enriching mankind with a sense of respect for nature, of finding ways to live in harmony with it at a scale never before imagined.

The architect’s fascination for the Middle East “where the civilization of humanity began about 10,000 years ago” inspired in him the idea “that should go down as a watershed in history.” Today the Arab world is bursting with high-rises, and engineering marvels are large writ everywhere, “however, the structures fail to hold the magic of the East with their excessive Western influences.” Ur, in Babylon, had the first tower in the world about 4000 years ago, “which then was an amazing feat.” The time is right for Middle East to recapture its glory and the enchanting novelty of past, Marchetti added.

The Italian architect compared today’s situation in the Gulf to that of the 14th century Florence, where renaissance took birth. Lorenzo de Madichi , the richest man of antiquity, who lived in Florence dared to dream of renewing civilization, which spurred the renaissance movement. “Today the Arab world is rich both economically and culturally, and perhaps is at the threshold of leading a new revolution in the world.”

Marchetti’s germ thought is a reaction to the current energy crisis in the world; the ethic city will draw from recyclable sources of energy from the nature for its everyday functioning. Sunlight and wind will be exploited to cut down the use of electricity. When hot air at the base of the building is driven up via a progressively narrowing shaft to the top of the tower, the air that comes out will have enough velocity to propel a motor to generate electricity required to operate the lifts, Marchetti explained as an example of tapping ambient energy for everyday use.

The core philosophy of this vertical city is about “feeling the breath of the universe and understanding the laws of matter to be able to harness their colossal energies in a manner that even our progenies can enjoy them.”
“It is an ethical challenge, whether we want to reverse the trend of mankind irremediably damaging the natural resources of the earth and making it less livable with every passing day, or if we want to simply add to the atrophy and expedite the end?”

Some builders show an obsession for beauty, even at the cost of logical utility, contends Marchetti. In his point of view beauty has to evolve from the entity’s harmonic utility in the continuum of natural laws, like trees. Plants and sea breeze will also be endemic to this dream city. Marchetti has already been challenged by pessimistic doubters about the feasibility of such a grand project. To them he tells the parable of a sailor who sought to reach his destination by traveling in a direction opposite to the conventional route: his name was Christopher Columbus.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 4:18 PM

somebody plz tell me, is the city of silk approved yet from the government of q8?? and when r they gonna start the construction??

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 10:50 PM

Anyone else getting rather irritated about this? sure its cool that there is going to be a huge tower, but whats the point? a my penis is beigger than yours competition? I'm getting right tired of these middle east oil monkeys. Feed and educate your people before building massive monuments with federal cash. Not like they will last long, I'm sure Iran will gladly blow them up.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 11:14 PM

Well the thing is that there aren't that many people to feed in these countries. I mean think about it, look at the populations of these places. THey're not that large.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2006, 7:00 AM

actually, what is the population of kuwait?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2006, 11:18 AM

the population in q8 is about a million, but canadian mind let me tell u somethin countries of the third world like the gulf countries and most of the arab countries really need those kinds of projects, and they really need an open market, skyscrapers and other stuff, y? cuz the populoation is growing fast, there has been many wars in the region so they have 2 rebuild, plus they need 2 stop depending on oil, and that's what they're trying 2 do, by making projects such as the ones being made right now, and those projects really help citizens 2 find jobs, and make a better education, by building universities schools etc, same thing goes 4 the other stuff

u think that making skyscrapers like this has no reason, well it does have a reason:

reduce the amount of unemployment, help the private sector take a better and more important role in the economy instead of the government controlling the hole economy, projects like these always go 4 the best of the country and it's ppl, it helps them find jobs, have a better education, reduce the amount of corruption in the country's economy, and beleive me projects made in the gulf countries really help them 2 boost their economies cuz they know that oil is not gonna last 4 long, plus the location of the gulf country is like in the middle of the world map, europe is next 2 them africa is next 2 them and asia is next 2 them, this is all good 4 trade, the gulf countries have a long way 2 go 2 be a major economic powers in the region and maybe in the world, but atleast they got a good start

Old Posted Aug 28, 2006, 1:28 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ One thing you're forgetting though is that this is a 250-storey tower. I think what people are asking is why build one huge tower like this when you could build 10 50-storey towers, you'd get the same floors space at a cheaper price. Also the maintenance costs would be huge. I know it's possible to build such a tower and maybe even one taller but with such huge towers there are many things that need to be sorted. For example, pumping water to such a height will require some huge pressure. The movement of people within, how will the elevator system work, also psychological problems about living in such a tower, people generally tend to feel isolated not being able to see the streetlife on the ground, what facilities would be provided so that this doesn't happen?

What I'm trying to say is that when you build such a tower there are a variety of problems you need to sort out and can make building it a lot more expensive wheras building several smaller buildings would eliminate most of these problems, make it cheaper to build and also provide the same floorspace.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2006, 2:52 PM

well that my friend u can ask the archetect of the tower about

oh and by the way ppl, can anyone give me a hand with the skyscrapercity forum, i did all the steps and went 2 the etc file and did what i had 2 do but no use, any help ppl plz

Old Posted Aug 28, 2006, 3:52 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ You should be able to get in normally now.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2006, 5:20 PM

well, i'm not

first i went 2 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
and then u go 2 hosts and use the notepad programe 4 it, and add the following 2 the hosts file:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
66.249.139.178 www.skyscrapercity.com
and save it, then u should use it normally, but 2 me it still doesn't work, i tried it a couple of times and still no use

Old Posted Aug 29, 2006, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q8_shaggy_17
the population in q8 is about a million, but canadian mind let me tell u somethin countries of the third world like the gulf countries and most of the arab countries really need those kinds of projects, and they really need an open market, skyscrapers and other stuff, y? cuz the populoation is growing fast, there has been many wars in the region so they have 2 rebuild, plus they need 2 stop depending on oil, and that's what they're trying 2 do, by making projects such as the ones being made right now, and those projects really help citizens 2 find jobs, and make a better education, by building universities schools etc, same thing goes 4 the other stuff

u think that making skyscrapers like this has no reason, well it does have a reason:

reduce the amount of unemployment, help the private sector take a better and more important role in the economy instead of the government controlling the hole economy, projects like these always go 4 the best of the country and it's ppl, it helps them find jobs, have a better education, reduce the amount of corruption in the country's economy, and beleive me projects made in the gulf countries really help them 2 boost their economies cuz they know that oil is not gonna last 4 long, plus the location of the gulf country is like in the middle of the world map, europe is next 2 them africa is next 2 them and asia is next 2 them, this is all good 4 trade, the gulf countries have a long way 2 go 2 be a major economic powers in the region and maybe in the world, but atleast they got a good start
sure it helps within the next 10-15 years. but you can't keep building tall buildings forever with no one to pay for them when the oil runs out. Buildings are a short term solution, not a long one. BTW - where does kuwait expect to get 700 000 more people by 2025 with only a million to start?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2006, 10:54 AM

it's not only buildings canadian mind, it's also making a better education, this will all help build up the economy even when the oil finishes, and when u tell me about not having enough money in the future 4 projects such as city of silk when the oil is finished, well we have a very strong private sector, and beleive it or not they have enough money 2 build these projects and help the country grow, i mean look @ singaphore 4 example how they achieved their goal, it's just that in kuwait there is alot of corruption and that's y the private sector is still not putting and investing it's money in q8 cuz we have corruption, i think that we can have a strong economy even without oil, i mean look @ the history of my country b4 the oil, how they used 2 do alot of trad with europe asia africa, and inidia, canadian mind beleive me u have 2 study the think ur talking about and know about it b4 u dudge, cuz q8 has a very good history with investment and trade b4 the oil

what i'm trying 2 say is that my country can live without oil, it's just that we need the government 2 stop controlling the market so much, and let the private sector play a better role in the economy, and that's what's happening right now

Old Posted Aug 29, 2006, 11:17 PM

how does building the city of silk help education? hundreds of millions of dollars on a building or hundreds of millions on education. You have the potential to have the best education system in the world right now, but instead you want to build the building first and use the revienews from that to finace education. Regardless of whether Kuwait was rich before the oil or not, it doesn't mean it will again by building massive projects now while the oil is here. If kuwait want to be rich after oil, its going to need projects like this by then. right now it needs to grow at a slow and steady pace, so the country doesn't fill up with uneducated citizens. then when the il runs out, build things like this city of silk, the massive economic boost will kickstart the private sector when you will be needing most. if you build now, that boom you get from the private sectors revived intrest will have died down. there is currently nothing sustainable about the city of silk. Just a bunch of empty relics.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2006, 8:35 AM

canadian mind, i agree with u about the education, but it needs time, cuz we have alot of corruption in the ministries(the public sector), but kuwait is working on improving education beleive me, q8 is studying the mistakes of the other countries like qatar, uae, ksa, bahrain. it's just wrong 2 spend all ur surplus on building projects, but it's not bad 2 make projects 4 new homes, schools, and buzness cities cuz the population is rising and the amount of unemployed ppl is rising, ppl graduated from universities around the world, and they come 2 their country staying @ home trying 2 find a job 4 atleast a year or two, so canadian with this problem i think we really need cities like the silk city, and like u said improving the educatoin also plays a big role,

Old Posted Oct 22, 2006, 8:11 AM

I Think this tower's initial hight was planned for 1892 mts. is it the same tower? But this tower looks Great!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 12:54 AM

no it wans't planned 2 be 1892 mts initially, the 1892 mts tower is called jaber tower designed by some archetecht i never heard of and this is the pic of it

but the 1001 mts tower is something different, better and more realistic, it's called mubarak al kaber tower it will be located in silk city

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects