HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 3:08 AM
Missing the Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Here's a real estate video for a house in Ithaca. I'm not an agent, but there are some great views of the area @ 0:17 to 0:45. What the heck:

Video Link

When I saw the real estate listing the other day, I honestly didn't care for the house, but with these views, I would totally snatch this place if I had the money.

Also, I'm going to buy a copy of Schreoder's book when it comes out.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 10:58 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Collegetown Terrace sure does make a statement in those views. And I thought 115 Campbell Ave sounded familiar......it's the first sub-division item on that planning board agenda from July 22.

Speaking of Schroeder's book, did you ever run across anything in your searches regarding a proposal for a hi-rise apartment building on the parking lot located at the southeast end of the Stewart Ave bridge over Cascadilla gorge. I recall seeing a rendering and article about a 12 to 14 story building going up next to the gorge in the Ithaca Journal back in the mid 60s.

Schroeder's book will be one thick rascal.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:18 AM
Missing the Gorges

Quote:
^ Collegetown Terrace sure does make a statement in those views. And I thought 115 Campbell Ave sounded familiar......it's the first sub-division item on that planning board agenda from July 22.

Speaking of Schroeder's book, did you ever run across anything in your searches regarding a proposal for a hi-rise apartment building on the parking lot located at the southeast end of the Stewart Ave bridge over Cascadilla gorge. I recall seeing a rendering and article about a 12 to 14 story building going up next to the gorge in the Ithaca Journal back in the mid 60s.

Schroeder's book will be one thick rascal.
Hmm...I'm aware of the 18-to-21 floor proposal that was considered in 1969/1970, but I'm pretty sure that's a different project. I never found photos of that one, just a few Cornell Sun articles that briefed those plans. The Sun archive might be a good place to check for the proposal on Stewart Ave.

EDIT: Here we go. Ten floors in a 70-unit luxury apartment building were approved for 403-415 Stewart Avenue, from the February 16, 1965 issue of the Cornell Daily Sun:

http://cdsun.library.cornell.edu/cgi...king+lot-----#

'Course, they could never do that now. I think the height limit is four floors and 40' on that site. Cornell has mulled putting housing there, per its master plan.

Last edited by Visiteur; Jul 30, 2014 at 3:04 AM. Reason: I flunked sperling

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:16 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiteur View Post
Hmm...I'm aware of the 18-to-21 floor proposal that was considered in 1969/1970, but I'm pretty sure that's a different project. I never found photos of that one, just a few Cornell Sun articles that briefed those plans. The Sun archive might be a good place to check for the proposal on Stewart Ave.

EDIT: Here we go. Ten floors in a 70-unit luxury apartment building were approved for 403-415 Stewart Avenue, from the February 16, 1965 issue of the Cornell Daily Sun:

http://cdsun.library.cornell.edu/cgi...king+lot-----#

'Course, they could never do that now. I think the height limit is four floors and 40' on that site. Cornell has mulled putting housing there, per its master plan.

Great find Vis. I had a feeling you would dig something up. What's old is new again, eh?

Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:20 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Here's a nice pic from Photography 4d's facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photo...57437457645927

It shows about 1/3 of downtown.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:18 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Aerial Video of Ithaca College:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 10:27 PM
Old Fart Forumer

An update of some of the projects in the Ithaca area. Looks like the Ithaca area is getting its first Mosque.

Thanks to Ithacating in Cornell Heights:

http://brancra.wordpress.com/2014/08...-go-somewhere/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 9:38 PM
Old Fart Forumer

My old high school got a bit waterlogged this past weekend:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 12:20 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Good news for the Tompkins Airport (from the Cornell Sun):

Ithaca Airport Receives Over $2 Million in Federal Funds to Improve Travel

August 4, 2014 12:51 pm

By TYLER ALICEA

The Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport will receive $2.16 million in federal funds that will help improve wait times, U.S. Senators Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) announced Friday.

The airport will use the funds to expand the terminal apron, which is where parked planes are stored, loaded or unloaded and boarded, as well as purchase new snow removal equipment, according to Schumer’s office.

“This is great news for the passengers and pilots who fly in and out of our Southern Tier airports every day,” Senator Schumer said in a statement.

Bob Nicholas, manager of the airport, said that the grants will make travel “significantly more efficient, especially during the winter.”

“I’d like to thank the senator for all of the work he does on behalf of Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport,” Nicholas said.

The announcement of federal aid comes more than a year after an announcement that the airport’s control tower would close due to the sequester in early 2013. While many were concerned about potential flight delays, airport officials learned in June 2013 that the tower was reinstated.

The Elmira Corning Regional Airport also received federal dollars totaling $720,000, which will be used to purchase a “critical aircraft rescue and firefighting truck,” according to a press release.

Here's the link:

http://cornellsun.com/blog/2014/08/0...mprove-travel/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Here's a nice pic from Photography 4d's facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photo...57437457645927

It shows about 1/3 of downtown.

Nice shot of Downtown Ithaca. It is going to be interesting to see what the skyline will look like in 5-10 years.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 8:59 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ I should be able to visit the city more often then. I hope to retire in about 2 to 3 years. I'll be taking a lot of pics then.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 7:56 PM
Old Fart Forumer

An article (from the Ithaca Times) about the Ithaca Planning & Economic Development board's most recent meeting.
It's no surprise the board forwarded the Chain Works District project to the Common Council.
The last item is no surprise considering Ithaca is a college town.
But the middle item is the one I'm wondering about. I hope it's something positive.

[B]City Planning Approves Chain Works District ‘In Concept’[/B

Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:32 pm | Updated: 5:05 am, Fri Aug 15, 2014.
By Michael Nocella

ITHACA—City of Ithaca planning & economic development committee, during its Wednesday, Aug. 13 public meeting, unanimously approved the proposed Chain Works District project “in concept.”
The approval was required under the recently passed Planned Unit Development (PUD) legislation, as all PUD applicants are required to obtain the approval of their project’s concept from Common Council before the site plan review process. With the planning committees approval now in the rearview mirror, council will be presented with a similar resolution during its September public meeting.
According Chain Works District developer, UnChained Properties, LLC, the project will seek “to redevelop and rehabilitate more than 800,000-square foot Morse Chain/Emerson Power Transmission facility, which is located on a 95-acre parcel traversing the city and town of Ithaca.” The project team is simultaneously working with the town, in a quest for the Planned Development Zone (PDZ). At some point, city planning is expected to be declared the lead agency, and representative from both municipalities have discussed the possibility of joint meetings to smooth out an unprecedented project, and process.

Collegetown Area Formed Districts Revisions

Following the adoption of the Collegetown area Form Districts in March, substantive revisions the legislation are currently being considered to the standards for building height, that, according to the resolution, “will help reduce construction costs and further promote high-quality design on sloped sites while reducing the impacts of taller buildings on adjacent smaller structures.”
Common council will consider such revisions during its September public meeting.

Turn Down the Volume

The committee unanimously agreed to publicly circulate a new city noise ordinance, which adds new definitions to the existing code under “multiuse property,” and “commercial use property,” creates new standards for the primary commons and city parks, establishes city wide permissible noise levels, establishes special provisions for commercial establishments serving food and alcohol, and adds new regulations for unamplified human voice and motor vehicles.
The ordinance is expected to receive “additional tweaking” before further consideration following public circulation, committee Chair Seph Murtagh said.

Here's the link:
http://www.ithaca.com/news/city-plan...a4bcf887a.html

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 9:36 PM
Old Fart Forumer

A little slice of life on the east side of downtown. Bonus aerial shot at the end.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 10:41 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Here's a link to info about the new Planned Parenthood building:

http://ithacabuilds.com/2014/08/21/p...-final-photos/

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 11:07 PM
Old Fart Forumer

A travel video from the Travel Channel touring the Ithaca Beer Company facility:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 8:02 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Not good news, but not necessarily bad, about the big Harold's Square project downtown
(see post 1540). Article from the Ithaca Journal:

Harold’s Square still on for Ithaca, with changes

David Hill, dwhill@gannett.com | @Ijdavidhill 2:18 p.m. EDT August 26, 2014

The office market in downtown Ithaca looked pretty good to David Lubin two years ago.
Thus, the principal in L Enterprises, the company turning the former Harold’s Army Navy store and adjacent storefront buildings on the Commons into the Harold’s Square mixed-use project, planned for three floors of office rental space.
That was then. This is now: Lubin said the plans for Harold’s Square are still on, but with just one floor of offices. There will be two more floors of apartments. The ground floor is still to get retail space.
The changes are coming as planners for the project encounter a phenomenon other developers have faced in downtown Ithaca: construction costs rising more than they’d expected. The most common factor cited has been the improving regional economy, which meant more business for major construction firms.
Two major hotel projects downtown have been slowed by the phenomenon. The Hotel Ithaca, formerly known as the Holiday Inn, is being renovated in phases as construction costs came in higher than first projected, in part to keep employees working rather than shutting down completely last winter.
Meanwhile, Urgo Hotels, the company developing a Marriott planned for a wedge of space at the east end of The Commons on Aurora Street, has re-done its plans to lower construction costs. The company received final site plan approval on the changes in June but with certain conditions.
It took a presentation to the city’s Planning and Development Board Tuesday and Wednesday to show that it’s revised plans to meet the conditions, including tweaks to the loading zone on Aurora Street, to the entrance from the adjacent Green Street parking garage, and the building’s exterior appearance, which uses less costly materials than first proposed.
“It’s really just as you’ve seen with every new project lately: Construction’s expensive,” Lubin said. “Everybody’s looking at ways to bring down those costs so that it’s a do-able project.”
At Harold’s Square, the footprint and the height of 11 stories is still on, but lack of enough commitments on long-term office-space leases has forced changes.
“I really just thought this would be a great opportunity for some businesses to reconfigure their space into modern spaces, and I just thought, incorrectly unfortunately, that people would be jumping for it,” Lubin said. “I’ve had some minor interest but I was really looking for long-term leases that would fill up two floors, and I just can’t get it.”
Replacing some office floors with apartments means the ground-floor atrium would have to be smaller. In addition, the development team is working construction techniques into the equation, considering poured concrete floors or using pre-built concrete floors over the steel frame. Another option is whether to use non-load bearing curtain exterior walls. Each change has ramifications that have to be accounted for, Lubin said.
“We haven’t shelved it or anything. We’re just trying to figure out how the best way to get it built.”
Significant changes, particularly to the exterior, would require going back before the city planning board.
Lubin had hoped to couple construction with the rebuild of the Ithaca Commons to lessen disruption, but that’s not going to work out. It’s unlikely construction would commence this season, but that isn’t so important to the project, Lubin said, as the first step is demolition of existing buildings, which can go on during the winter, and, at least if certain techniques are used, because the scale means poured concrete stays warm.
“It’s big enough that you’re bringing in heavy equipment. It doesn’t care if the ground’s frozen or not,” Lubin said. “We might be pouring foundation this winter. It doesn’t matter because there’s so much concrete. It generates so much heat that you don’t have to worry about it.”

the link:
http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/n...ange/14631155/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 10:26 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Here's an interesting old pic of Collegetown. I recognize several buildings, but most of the structures are long gone. Click on the link and then click on the pic itself for a much larger image.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....1950medium.jpg

Here's one from the same general direction, but further away.

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; Aug 26, 2014 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 4:06 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I know the local authorities have a big problem with this sort of thing, and I'm not promoting it, but it's been happening for decades, and I doubt it will ever stop:

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 11:03 AM
Old Fart Forumer

The Gorge of my youth gets a facelift. From the Cornell Daily Sun:

After Years Of Renovations, Cornell Reopens Cascadilla Gorge Trail

SEPTEMBER 16, 2014 12:05 AM

By NOAH RANKIN

After six years of renovations, the Cascadilla Gorge Trail officially reopened to the public in a ceremony at Treman Triangle Park Monday afternoon. Several leaders affiliated with the City of Ithaca and the University spoke at the event, praising the reconstruction efforts and highlighting the trail’s importance to both Cornell and the surrounding community.

Mayor Svante Myrick ’09 and Christopher Dunn, director of Cornell Plantations, lead a tour through the Cascadilla Gorge Trail for its reopening Monday. (Greg Keller / Sun Contributor)

“It’s been a huge undertaking [and] a huge partnership to make this happen,” said Christopher Dunn, director of Cornell Plantations. “[The project was] a considerable investment in both fiscal resources and human resources.”

According to Dunn and KyuJung Whang, vice president for Facilities Services, the gorge trail — which runs along Cascadilla Creek from Treman Triangle Park to East Hill Plaza — was closed in 2008 due to safety concerns such as falling boulders and unsafe walkways.

Renovations included realignment and the raising of the trail, the removal of invasive trees and shrubs, the repairing of the retaining walls and the addition of a specially-made gate at the front of the trail, Whang said. Hand rails, stairs and stormwater drains systems were also upgraded.

According to Dunn, the prospect of Cornell providing the necessary funds to update and reopen the trail was not expected in 2008 due to the recession’s effect on the University’s finances.

However, the University provided approximately $2 million, while the rest of the nearly $2.8 million budget was filled with federal and New York State funds.

“I think Cornell University’s commitment of $2 million or so speaks to the significance the University places in this trail and in the community that Cornell serves,” Dunn said. “This trail is a gateway in many ways: it’s a gateway to Cornell, it’s a gateway to the University [and] it’s a gateway to the City [of] Ithaca.”

Though the section from Treman Triangle Park to the Stewart Avenue Bridge was essentially completed by 2010, renovations on the trail were delayed in 2011 when tropical storms Lee and Irene hit the Ithaca area and resulted in massive flooding, creating an “unanticipated double-whammy of devastation,” according to former Mayor Carolyn Peterson.

“The storm had two immediate outcomes for the trail,” said Todd Bittner, director of natural areas for Cornell Plantations. “The first was positive: Rebuilt stairs, railings and stone trails … weathered the storm flood waters well and proved that our repair methodology was sound. The second [outcome] was that yet-unrepaired trail sections and staircases were left vulnerable, and the resulting damage was significant.”

According to Bittner, Cornell was able to successfully lobby for about $880,000 dollars from the Federal Emergency and Management Agency due to the fact that Tompkins County had been declared a disaster area. The process to get these funds was difficult due to the many deadlines imposed by FEMA, Bitter said.

Though the project took six years to complete, city leaders lauded the University’s commitment to the renovations, calling the gorge an example of the “symbiotic relationship” between the community, the University and the natural environment.

Mayor Svante Myrick ’09 said that he is very happy for the reopening of the gorge, which he said was one of the selling points that brought him to Ithaca as a student in the first place.

“As a student and now as the mayor, I have to tell you that [the gorge] is important because of its symbolic connection,” Myrick said. “It brings you from the heart of downtown, the cultural and geographical heart of our community, into the main economic engine of our community.”

Myrick went on to say that the reopening represents a much-needed “good news day,” in wake of summer events, including the Simeon’s crash.

“The problems you see are not the first problems and they won’t be the last,” Myrick said. “You can take a walk through a 10,000-year-old wonder, when you can walk out of your door and within five minutes be in a physical reminder that the problems you’re facing today are not the end of the world.”

Peterson — who served as mayor from 2004 to 2011 — said she hopes the trail’s reopening will serve as a reminder that the gorge and the natural areas of Ithaca must be constantly taken care of by their inhabitants.

“It’s not only for a hike, but it’s a true transportation path, a recreation path, a show-it-off-to-visitors path and a respite from vehicle traffic when walking from East Hill,” she said. “It was here way before any of us and will be here for millennia more. What we can do is protect it, keep it clean and keep it safe.”

Here's the link:

http://cornellsun.com/blog/2014/09/1...trail-reopens/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 7:38 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Here's a news report ref: the gorge trail mentioned above:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast