HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its a concept and a design made by an SSP/Yimby member. Its not a real design or consideration on the developers part. Just a concept or vision for the site.

We've already seen the designs or renderings for Macklowe Properties. Designed by Gensler.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If anybody's curious: https://www.gensler.com/projects/tower-fifth

Hopefully the design changes, but just my hope. Not a fan of it 100%, but we'll see.

Quote:
Located just north of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, east of Fifth Avenue between 51st and 52nd Streets, Tower Fifth will rank as the second tallest building not only in New York, but in the Western Hemisphere. Climbing 1,556 feet above Manhattan, the 1.3-million-gross-square-foot tower creates a new paradigm for how a supertall structure meets the street and interacts with its neighbors. Its ground floor glass-enclosed public galleria spans the entire block, framing views of St. Patrick’s Cathedral while extending the civic realm into the building footprint, leading visitors to shops, a food hall, and an auditorium. At the top of the tower, the city’s highest observatory grants unprecedented views and features an array of unique experiential, cultural, and entertainment experiences within a public observatory. The office floors feature 960,000 square feet of tenant space and amenities focused on wellness. Tower Fifth is wrapped in an innovative, energy-efficient Closed Cavity Facade system which reduces solar heat gain by more than 70%. It will be the first deployment of this type of system in North America.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
If anybody's curious: https://www.gensler.com/projects/tower-fifth

Hopefully the design changes, but just my hope. Not a fan of it 100%, but we'll see.
Gensler's is just a proposal. I believe that the project will eventually be different or modified.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
Maybe if he changes his architect and takes his cue from this image.

TK2000
http://forum.newyorkyimby.com/t/new-...loors/4403/354
This one look like a megatall structure, i hope they will build this building !!!!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 8:58 PM
Show me the blueprints

That's about the scale of spire I would have preferred for One Vandy

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:00 PM

^^All spires in NYC are skinny, not just One Vandy's. For the sake of diversity, I hope to see more substantial spires like this.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 11:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Maybe if he changes his architect and takes his cue from this image.

TK2000
http://forum.newyorkyimby.com/t/new-...loors/4403/354
Macklowe is mainly focused on building for office, some retail, and most importantly for the top, the observatory. A spire would be nice, but this is a very unusual building.

Quote:
Gensler's is just a proposal. I believe that the project will eventually be different or modified.
The design is what Macklowe is proposing to be built. Could he change designs? Of course. We've seen Silverstein do it. But the design we've seen is what's being proposed currently. No need to think it will be different until we see that it is.

https://www.mackloweproperties.com/c...-projects.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
That's about the scale of spire I would have preferred for One Vandy
That spire's way too big (about 400 ft). The spire should be an asset, or complement the design, unless you're going to have an occupied spire like the Empire State. The crown of Vanderbilt is extremely large as it is. What we need is a 1,500 ft 53w53.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 12:15 AM
DENNAB

Looks like the PNB 118 tower being built in Kuala Lumpur (Sky88's post I mean), similar scale too.

NY deserves something like that for its signature tower, maybe a bit more elegant though.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 12:26 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ no, but a more intergrated petronas spire would be fine. no 100s of feet tall spires please. 1wtc has turned me off on those.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 1:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Those aren't real proposals lol. Just visions. And visions that won't remotely manifest into anything similar unless the yimby/ssp user that made those "visions" becomes part of the Board of Gensler or Extell or Vornado or directly phone's Harry.

I think a probable mega tall lies somewhere in the Penn District. Its arguably the best location in the city for one. But fingers crossed on that area!!!

Back to Tower Fifth, the proposal design by Gensler, that is indeed real and being considered. As always, just like an asteroid can one day magically appear and wipe us out, Tower Fifth's design is indeed being considered AND could always be changed. The universe is not static, but dynamic. Things change as we progress on our space-time trip around the center of the Galaxy. Life is in motion, everything is in motion. Entropy!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Those aren't real proposals lol. Just visions. And visions that won't remotely manifest into anything similar unless the yimby/ssp user that made those "visions" becomes part of the Board of Gensler or Extell or Vornado or directly phone's Harry.

I think a probable mega tall lies somewhere in the Penn District. Its arguably the best location in the city for one. But fingers crossed on that area!!!

Back to Tower Fifth, the proposal design by Gensler, that is indeed real and being considered. As always, just like an asteroid can one day magically appear and wipe us out, Tower Fifth's design is indeed being considered AND could always be changed. The universe is not static, but dynamic. Things change as we progress on our space-time trip around the center of the Galaxy. Life is in motion, everything is in motion. Entropy!

It is true that it is only a vision, but I prefer the two solutions above.

Solution A - 1,656 ft tall.

Solution B - 2,000ft tall with the spire.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:40 PM

So much better!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 5:13 PM

My vote is for Solution B, for three reasons:

1) Solution A looks too much like 432 Park Ave. Better to have more diversity.

2) Solution B also solves the problem of Midtown's current tallest building (i.e. Central Park Tower) not having a spire, crown, or other kinds of "exclamation point".

3) At 2,000 ft it would be the very first megatall outside Asia!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 5:16 PM
DENNAB

Much better, all that was needed really was to smoothen the lopsidedness at the top.

I hope Gensler comes to their senses and makes some much needed tweaks.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Much better, all that was needed really was to smoothen the lopsidedness at the top.
It's hard to make asymmetric buildings look good, especially buildings with asymmetry at or near the top. Gensler obviously wanted something unique, but ended up with something uniquely ugly. Solution B looks far more pleasing, probably costs less, and would allow Gensler to brag about having the tallest building outside Asia. It's a no-brainer.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 7:29 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
It's hard to make asymmetric buildings look good, especially buildings with asymmetry at or near the top. Gensler obviously wanted something unique, but ended up with something uniquely ugly. Solution B looks far more pleasing, probably costs less, and would allow Gensler to brag about having the tallest building outside Asia. It's a no-brainer.
Yea,

It just looks like a futuristic version of the old North Tower of the WTC. I kinda like them both but A has a higher mass, and IMO would still be the highest building outside Asia since the new 1WTC is a 420 meter building with a massive pole.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 1:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Either of the two would be a great improvement. Keep in mind that the bottom 3rd of the drawing is wrong.

Another look at the landmarked Cartier building, which is on the 5th Avenue end of the block. Tower Fifth would loom in the background.

AUGUST 7, 2020

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 4:22 AM

Quote:

It is true that it is only a vision, but I prefer the two solutions above.

Solution A - 1,656 ft tall.

Solution B - 2,000ft tall with the spire.
Solution A is how this should have looked this whole time

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I kinda like them both but A has a higher mass
Can also combine A and B, producing something a bit like the New York Times Tower which has both fins and a spire. Then it would be a megatall by structural height thanks to the spire, and the fins would give a more massive look at the top. The best of both worlds!

I wish the folks at Gensler were reading this discussion.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 4:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I wish the folks at Gensler were reading this discussion.

The design has probably been refined since we've first seen it. Whenever we get to an approvals process, we can determine what the design is in full, not just the top half.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals