HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
these people are such...lordy, i can't even narrow it to one adjective... more people walking on our sidewalks...the horror!!!
The majority of residents in the neighborhood support highrises east of Halsted, I don't believe this one is getting much push back. Neighbors have valid concerns about the other highrise proposed for west of Halsted. Stop being so obtuse.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
The majority of residents in the neighborhood support highrises east of Halsted, I don't believe this one is getting much push back.
Obviously you were not at the meeting.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it's pretty damn cool. we've been waiting a good long while for it.

i wonder how much longer that complete waste of space shitbox walgreens can hold on for. that's a really big chunk of land.
Yeah, it's happening to 290 now. The core formwork for the UIC project is already visible from the freeway. The Rush project is simmering. Landmark was just completed.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:17 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Does the tower have a twist to it? Maybe it's just the rendering, but the angle of the top of the tower's east face doesn't match the angle of the base of the tower.
No twist. That’s just an optical illusion because the building is not rendered with any vertical perspective.

Viva la rhomboid!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:59 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah, it's happening to 290 now. The core formwork for the UIC project is already visible from the freeway. The Rush project is simmering. Landmark was just completed.
Don't forget Harry Potter!

Source: chicago.curbed.com
1161-1107 W Van Buren

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it's pretty damn cool. we've been waiting a good long while for it.

i wonder how much longer that complete waste of space shitbox walgreens can hold on for. that's a really big chunk of land.
Considering how long Walgreens stuck around and 151 N Franklin I'm guessing the Park 1 parking lot next door will go before Walgreens.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
extremely sick tower

so suburban
You know the longer they wait to sell the taller the replacement structure will likely be...

-Hunter S. Thompson (click for full quote)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Considering how long Walgreens stuck around and 151 N Franklin I'm guessing the Park 1 parking lot next door will go before Walgreens.
Well if this gets built and goes fast I dont see developers slowing down on that strip of Halsted. So walgreens may get bought out sooner than later. Especially if its incorporated into the base, like tower of jewel. If this tower gets approved I think its going to open the flood gates for alot of other towers along that strip as well.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 2:26 PM

If this and the other tower over on Fulton Market get built, that will open the door to a highrise neighborhood all the way out to Ashland. Frankly I think highrises should eventually extend to Damen and South into the medical district. We are going to need the space for Amazon, Google, and Apple slash all of the rest of Silicone Valley after they finally pick up on the fact that SF simply can't grow anymore given it's combination of NIMBY and geographical extremes.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 2:59 PM

I don't know how realistic, or maybe just how long it would take for west loop to build up that sort of bathtub effect. It just seems like too wide of an area that could lead to sort of spotty development without continuity.

It would be great if there was a sort of high density outpost around the ashland stop that could serve as a clear anchor to develop around. I thought SONO would have this effect in Lincoln Park but the higher density developments have been slow to follow there.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:19 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
I don't know how realistic, or maybe just how long it would take for west loop to build up that sort of bathtub effect. It just seems like too wide of an area that could lead to sort of spotty development without continuity.

It would be great if there was a sort of high density outpost around the ashland stop that could serve as a clear anchor to develop around. I thought SONO would have this effect in Lincoln Park but the higher density developments have been slow to follow there.
Think again about SoNo.

That piece of shit strip mall there with Buy Buy Baby just built a few years ago is struggling. I believe it just sold for less than its previous selling price and word has it that it's a potential highrise redevelopment opportunity.

Guys, let's remember that real estate moves very slow.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:14 PM

I guess that is sort of the point I was trying to make. The west loop won't fill up with high-rises in any sort of short timeline. But, if there is a point, deeper in the neighborhood, where increased density sort of naturally grows out of, that would be better than a handful of scattered high-rises.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:38 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

Like I mentioned in the other thread, most of the land around the Ashland stop (north of Lake) is still the old-school PMD zoning. The new downtown boundaries cut off at Ogden, conveniently omitting what would be the TOD zone around Ashland.

And, of course, south of Lake is Union Park, a major womens clinic, and public housing. So not much opportunity to develop around this. Hopefully something will change eventually.

When the new Damen stop opens, it’ll have a similar problem.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 6:26 PM
Closed account

If never seen a definitive answer on who owns the United Center parking lots. Is it the city, the teams (Reinsdorf and Wirtz) or another entity?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:29 PM
TL;DR

There is no single answer. Some are owned by the teams/United Center management. These are the “official” lots directly north, south, and west of the arena. Others are owned by the city and leased to smaller operators (Red Top, etc) and they all compete for visitors on price and using those ridiculous attendants with whistles and wiffle bats.

The city’s ownership of land allows for some kind of master planning for this area, but I think city officials want the support of Wirtz and Reinsdorf, as well as the private parking operators that lease city land. Those people are not blind to the redevelopment potential, but they’re also savvy enough to stall until the city agrees to a generous buyout or development subsidy. Typical city politics stuff.

Ald. Burnett at least appears mildly in favor of building decked parking;
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...olumn,amp.html. Some of this will depend on whether the new Green Line stop at Damen attracts significant numbers of riders going to UC events (it probably won’t).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 6:01 PM

Looks like Related is starting a separate branch solely for the West Loop

http://relatedwestloop.com

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 1:39 AM
1st Ward

Lol, looks like a nice vote of confidence on the continuation of the WL boom I suppose

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:05 AM

I don't think that is anything more than a promotional landing page for their west loop developments.

Its a quick way to capture leads for condo sales at a couple properties without having to commit to doing branding, securing vanity URLs, and building multiple sites.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:11 AM

Quote:
I don't think that is anything more than a promotional landing page for their west loop developments.

Its a quick way to capture leads for condo sales at a couple properties without having to commit multiple sites and vanity URLs.
Which means that there is a potential for more West Loop developments from Related, because why would they make a website just for West Loop and not for, say, Streeterville, a place where they also have multiple developments.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:58 AM

It is probably not anything so premeditated. They have a number of things to promote in a small area. Full promotional sites take time to put together. That URL is as close to a static single page site you can build. It screams quick solution as a stopgap before committing to something more time/cost intensive. Since they are trying to move condos, they want to start getting names of people interested ASAP.

Digital/Marketing agencies do this all the time. If one or both of those two large proposals move forward, maybe they keep it. It's more likely the domain gets forwarded to one of those properties once they have full sales materials.

The reason there isn't say a Streeterville one is because there are dedicated sites for everything they have there. All you would be doing is adding an additional step to the sales funnel. And that funnel doesn't even matter so much for rentals since they don't need presales. OBP has condos, but the rental portion didn't necessitate generating sales quickly as a condition to start construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals