HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 10:55 AM

Avalon mall expansion renovation & news

People are suggesting such a thread. Here it is. The Avalon Mall has always been a continuing work in progress, so it's definitely worthy of it's own thread.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:45 PM

That’s awesome... thanks for considering my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
People are suggesting such a thread. Here it is. The Avalon Mall has always been a continuing work in progress, so it's definitely worthy of it's own thread.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:09 PM

Phase 3 Well Under Way

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 5:49 PM

Nice pics.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Application
A Discretionary Use application has been submitted by Crombie REIT requesting approval to construct and operate a second Eating Establishment with Drive-Thru at 46 Kenmount Road.

Description
The drive thru will service a national fast food franchise with floor area of 250.8m2, and will operate Monday to Friday, 6 – 12 a.m., Saturday and Sunday 7 - 12 a.m. The application is advertised in accordance with Section 7.30 “Drive-Thru Facilities” of the St. John’s Development Regulations. On-site parking is provided.

Comment By
9:30 a.m. Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Comments
Provide your comments to the Office of the City Clerk including your name and address to: cityclerk@stjohns.ca or P.O. Box 908, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5M2.

Comments received become a matter of public record and are included in the Council agenda for the date a decision on the application will be made. Any identifying information (including your name) will be removed prior to your comment being released publicly.

Collection of personal information is authorized under the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 2015 and is needed to consider your comments on this application. Questions about the collection and use of your information may be directed to the City Clerk at 709-576-8202 or cityclerk@stjohns.ca.

Council Decision Date
Monday, October 7, 2019

Additional Information
Notices are sent to property owners within 150 metres of the application site. For more information call 709-576-6192 or email planning@stjohns.ca.
Wonder if this is for fogcity

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreynolds View Post
Wonder if this is for fogcity
Doubt it. Says national fast food franchise.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 11:03 PM

Could be Starbucks since they're losing their front entrance at the mall? Though one would think they'd do better inside the mall with the foot traffic.

Burger King? Robins Donuts?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 9:37 AM

It would be nice if it was something different, like a Taco Bell or Arby’s, not another location of something we already have.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdan1982 View Post
It would be nice if it was something different, like a Taco Bell or Arby’s, not another location of something we already have.
There are lots of options out there as far as chain restaurants, much more than Cara. I was just seeing what's out there and Quebec based MTY Group has way more than I'd heard of, from casual restaurants to fast food.
Some of their brands are here already, or have been in the mall and since gone, but a few look interesting and would be nice for a change. I wouldn't mind if Fog City did build a stand alone place, but I imagine another chain is likely.
Either way, give me something other than the Cara brand ( now known as Recipe Unlimited Corporation apparently ) - they have Got to be saturated in this market.
https://mtygroup.com/nos-enseignes/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
There are lots of options out there as far as chain restaurants, much more than Cara. I was just seeing what's out there and Quebec based MTY Group has way more than I'd heard of, from casual restaurants to fast food.
Some of their brands are here already, or have been in the mall and since gone, but a few look interesting and would be nice for a change. I wouldn't mind if Fog City did build a stand alone place, but I imagine another chain is likely.
Either way, give me something other than the Cara brand ( now known as Recipe Unlimited Corporation apparently ) - they have Got to be saturated in this market.
https://mtygroup.com/nos-enseignes/
Wow, that's quite an exhaustive list of restaurants. I noticed a few we've have (or had), many seem to be foodcourt style spots. I've eaten at a Baton Rouge before and it's a nice restaurant. Kind of reminds me of the Keg/Moxie's. I agree though, if we do get more national chains it would be nice to have something other than Cara (i.e. Recipe Unlimited).

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 10:41 AM

I'm sure the two buildings are CIBC and Starbucks.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I'm sure the two buildings are CIBC and Starbucks.
It would appear so.

https://vocm.com/2019/09/23/avalon-m...road-entrance/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:46 PM

Drive-thru

The 2 businesses to be built at the new Avalon Mall/Polina/Kenmount intersection have been approved in a close vote by council last night. (Which I believe are CIBC and Starbucks)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 6:06 PM

Makes sense since both of those businesses will lose access to their exterior mall entrance as the expansion gets built across it and the hallway inside leading to both businesses is also being eliminated in the new mall floor-plan layout.

Quote:
The 2 businesses to be built at the new Avalon Mall/Polina/Kenmount intersection have been approved in a close vote by council last night. (Which I believe are CIBC and Starbucks)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
We have a delicious announcement.

Mountain Warehouse (first store east of Ontario), Showcase, and a double-sized helping of Newfoundland Chocolate Company are coming by the end of the year. Then, Hakim Optical will arrive in 2020.
From the Avalon mall Facebook page

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 8:07 PM

I heard it was Starbucks and TD Bank.

What happened to the idea that Fog City was going there?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 2:12 PM

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post

Pics titled Phase III, are actually end of Phase II.

According to Crombie Reit website, Phase III is the redevelopment of the adjacent properties they acquired; Woodgate & former Baine Johnston.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I heard it was Starbucks and TD Bank.

What happened to the idea that Fog City was going there?
I can’t imagine it would be a TD Bank with a fairly new one just up the road on Kelsey Dr.

I figure it would be a new CIBC since the one in the mall will be displaced along with Starbucks once all the expansion and renovations are complete.

As for Fog City...it’s now obvious they didn’t really need to move from their old location inside the mall since its former space is now occupied by Pseudio. I thought that the Rec Room had wanted the space. Perhaps they just didn’t want two restaurants next to each other. I guess Cineplex has the bigger rental bucks there.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I can’t imagine it would be a TD Bank with a fairly new one just up the road on Kelsey Dr.

I figure it would be a new CIBC since the one in the mall will be displaced along with Starbucks once all the expansion and renovations are complete.

As for Fog City...it’s now obvious they didn’t really need to move from their old location inside the mall since its former space is now occupied by Pseudio. I thought that the Rec Room had wanted the space. Perhaps they just didn’t want two restaurants next to each other. I guess Cineplex has the bigger rental bucks there.
Here's a quote from the upcoming council meeting scheduled for Oct 15 (pg 4.)

Quote:
46 Kenmount Road - Commercial Highway (CH) Zone - Ward 4
A Discretionary Use application has been submitted by Crombie REIT
requesting approval to construct and operate a second Eating
Establishment with Drive-Thru at 46 Kenmount Road.
The drive thru will service a national fast food franchise with floor area of
250.8m2, and will operate Monday to Friday, 6 – 12 a.m., Saturday and
Sunday 7 - 12 a.m. The application is advertised in accordance with
Section 7.30 “Drive-Thru Facilities” of the St. John’s Development
Regulations. On-site parking is provided.

So it says a "second" eating establishment, I assume the first one would be Starbucks. There will also be a drive-thru. Hmmm.... wondering what would be going there? Definitely not Fog-City since it's a national chain.

https://pub-stjohns.escribemeetings....ocumentId=3090

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Here's a quote from the upcoming council meeting scheduled for Oct 15 (pg 4.)

So it says a "second" eating establishment, I assume the first one would be Starbucks. There will also be a drive-thru. Hmmm.... wondering what would be going there? Definitely not Fog-City since it's a national chain.

https://pub-stjohns.escribemeetings....ocumentId=3090
Nothing telling on the CR website. I wonder if Wendys is moving across the street? They have a boxed in drive thru there when it's busy. Maybe they want to duplicate Village Mall pad?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's