HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
At least the wrecking ball is making good progress making way for the JAG expansion, the old Technip building was flattened over the weekend. I would love to see shovels in the ground on this one early next year if possible.
Todays paper

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:29 PM

Ya gotta love the way the city zones certain properties. Obviously this property needed a rezoning to accommodate the new height (which in itself was shortsighted considering the "Envision" plan), but here you have them rezoning it to "commercial central office" when in fact it will be the furthest thing from an office. By's, why don't you just throw out some of your old zones and create something a little more flexible. (head shaking)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Ya gotta love the way the city zones certain properties. Obviously this property needed a rezoning to accommodate the new height (which in itself was shortsighted considering the "Envision" plan), but here you have them rezoning it to "commercial central office" when in fact it will be the furthest thing from an office. By's, why don't you just throw out some of your old zones and create something a little more flexible. (head shaking)

Agree!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Todays paper

Looks like this was cancelled due to lack of submissions. Perhaps the rezoning will go through without much fuss after all.

Quote:
A public hearing on the expansion of JAG Hotel downtown has been cancelled as there were no submissions filed.

St. John’s City council had moved forward to rezone the area, following amendments to the proposal, allowing a maximum of 10 storeys of development and removing light angle requirements.

The hotel plans to add 69 rooms and a concert hall. Proposed changes require the rezoning of an entire block on Buchanan and Water Street.

While there were initial concerns raised, the City received no submissions one way or the other leading up to tonight’s meeting, which as such has been cancelled.
https://vocm.com/2019/09/23/meeting-...f-submissions/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 4:06 PM

The public hearing has been cancelled because of lack of submissions. This clears another hurdle.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
The public hearing has been cancelled because of lack of submissions. This clears another hurdle.
You beat me to the punch again! LOL.... good stuff!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:48 AM

Jag gets final approval

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:32 PM

Getting Ready for Footings

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:48 PM

I recently heard that the developers of Jag have bought most of the homes on Buchanan Street for a future parking lot and are trying to buy everything east of the hotel to Waldergrave Street including the old Hempware building, the former Relish restaurant and the Magic Wok. I can only assume that this is for parking as well. A parking garage would be a better idea. Another good idea would be to link this hotel to the convention centre in light of it's close proximity.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
I recently heard that the developers of Jag have bought most of the homes on Buchanan Street for a future parking lot and are trying to buy everything east of the hotel to Waldergrave Street including the old Hempware building, the former Relish restaurant and the Magic Wok. I can only assume that this is for parking as well. A parking garage would be a better idea. Another good idea would be to link this hotel to the convention centre in light of it's close proximity.
Wouldn't surprise me..

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Yes Cut & Fill tunnel would be good.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 8:09 PM

They should have to build a garage. Not have more piecemeal parking lots in downtown.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
They should have to build a garage. Not have more piecemeal parking lots in downtown.
They can change the name to JAG Motel!

Ron.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 12:27 AM

A parking lot or a parking garage, either way it should not be allowed because this prime block should be developed as nothing less that a 12 story multi-use development. Better still 15 stories...but I'm really dreaming now.

The City allowed this new JAG/Concert Hall development on the basis that parking requirements would be no different than they are for Mile One, there are private lots and on street parking that can accommodate event nights.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
A parking lot or a parking garage, either way it should not be allowed because this prime block should be developed as nothing less that a 12 story multi-use development. Better still 15 stories...but I'm really dreaming now.

The City allowed this new JAG/Concert Hall development on the basis that parking requirements would be no different than they are for Mile One, there are private lots and on street parking that can accommodate event nights.
I agree 15 stories multi-use would be a nicer plant, especially in this area of the downtown, however I'm glad that something else is being developed in that area at least. With the current council, even a meager 15 stories may have had a hard time.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 1:40 PM

I'm not sure if I heard this right but I think this project is back on track and will start up this year. Again, I'm not SURE that's what I heard but it would be great news if it is.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if I heard this right but I think this project is back on track and will start up this year. Again, I'm not SURE that's what I heard but it would be great news if it is.

You are correct; this is the vicm news story from today.

https://vocm.com/2021/03/26/jag-hote...ith-expansion/

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 9:49 PM

Excavation at the site is well underway and there's work happening there pretty much every day. I'm guessing we'll see a tower crane go up on site once construction begins.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:44 PM

The base of a crane has been installed on site. A lot of work happening there.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 6:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Awesome. Can’t wait to check out the progress. Could it be? Something notable happening after all these years?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's