HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

View Poll Results: Which Party will you vote for?
PC 9 40.91%
Liberal 7 31.82%
NDP 5 22.73%
Will not vote 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:25 PM

Provincial Election 2015

Election has been called for November 30, 2015. How do you intend to vote?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:34 PM

Looks pretty tight so far!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:28 PM

Polls indicate the PCs are done for, curious to see how the SSP community feel

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 9:47 PM
ハルウララ

Can't vote in this election but it's looking like a Liberal government right now..

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 AM

Looks like it. We have until late fall for the NDP to take over the #1 spot; I don't think the PCs have any shot to gain back public support.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 1:08 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My riding will certainly remain NDP - provincially and federally. We'll see how the rest go in the fall.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 4:47 PM

The PCs have 50% in our poll.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 1:25 PM

Options?

I've voted PC here, but I really won't know until the election platforms are out. At this point I don't see anyone who has a real vision for our province. Liberals and New Democrats are quick to criticize but very light on any ideas on how to do things differently. And I really don't like how the Liberals have been allowing just about anyone to jump on the band wagon. Paul Lane, come on down, Mr. Mitchelmore, come on down, Mr. Kirby, Mr. Osbourne, come on down. What do they really stand for? It's been a long time since I"ve seen anyone with a real plan to help NL. Right now, I'm going with the "devil" I know.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyT View Post
I've voted PC here, but I really won't know until the election platforms are out. At this point I don't see anyone who has a real vision for our province. Liberals and New Democrats are quick to criticize but very light on any ideas on how to do things differently. And I really don't like how the Liberals have been allowing just about anyone to jump on the band wagon. Paul Lane, come on down, Mr. Mitchelmore, come on down, Mr. Kirby, Mr. Osbourne, come on down. What do they really stand for? It's been a long time since I"ve seen anyone with a real plan to help NL. Right now, I'm going with the "devil" I know.
It’s reassuring to see that there are still people who put some thought into the political process.
I’ve heard so many people over the past year anointing the Liberals simply because they have “had enough” of the PCs. Never mind that the Liberals have not yet presented a vision, “they get my vote because they are NOT the PC’s”. Sometimes I feel there should be an aptitude test to see if a person is fit to cast a vote.
Under our system it can be difficult to determine who to vote for, do you vote for the person in your district that you feel is most competent and can get things done or the one whose party you think will win overall?
As for voting along party lines, those lines can be somewhat blurred during a campaign where every party tries to sway voters more so than really promote their principles.
And finally, I feel that we can’t really vote for one person, we need to look at the whole team to see who has the most depth of talent.
Fun times ahead for the next few months, both federally and provincially.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 5:30 PM

Hopefully people will start putting more thought into how they vote. I agree with Horsell that too many people plan on voting for one party, in this case the Liberals, because they feel they are going to win.

Most people don't consider the ideas coming from the parties or the candidates running. Everyone is too afraid that if they don't get an MHA on the government side then they'll be screwed.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyT View Post
I totally agree with what you and Horsell have said here.

I heard a saying a while ago and I find it to be very accurate. "We don't vote people in, we vote people out."

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 9:52 PM

Agree with everyone above, people really need to think long and hard about who they're going to vote for. It might be too early to be 100% decided just yet, the Liberals haven't given us a vision at all. And they might not either, they're coasting along on the "you can't get in trouble if you say nothing" mentality as they watch the PCs crash and burn.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 6:36 PM

This news is a few days old but Judy Manning announced the other day that she is seeking the PC nomination in Placentia St. Mary's. It's also expected that Colin Corcoran will announce later today that he is seeking the nomination in the district.

Should be quite interesting.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 4:56 PM

Looks like people are coming out of the woodworks now to hop on the Liberal bandwagon. Just read on twitter that Graham Letto, Karen Oldford and Randy Simms are seeking nominations. All former or current mayors. Seems that being a mayor around here is a shoe-in for provincial politics.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 7:24 PM

Liberal Bandwagon

If the Liberal Party is going to win my vote, they aren't helping themselves. I thought a new leader like Dwight Ball might bring fresh faces. Now I hear names like Letto and Simms to go along with party jumpers Kirby, Lane, Osbourne, Mitchelmore. Sure Letto, and the Hawkins guy out in Grand Falls, were both conservative supporters when that was the bangwagon to be hitched to. Not much leadership potential in bandwagoners. Our province needs people who can lead! Happy to see that Steve Kent will be back in. No way Simms beats him; I don't care how big the "Red Wave" is!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 2:20 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ties-1.3187998

Article today about diversifying the economy in Labrador. I find it funny that even with a brand new leader, Ms. Michael is still the spokesperson for the party. Question is how do you diversify other than mining and energy? Everything you do in Labrador is usually faced with much resistance, and they only have a very small population almost equal to that of the City of Mount pearl which is spread out over a vast area (some areas with no roads).

I think the current government has been trying to diversify via the Muskrat Falls and Gull Island projects, and we all know how well received those projects are.

Lack of infrastructure make it very challenging as well. Personally, I think the PCs have done good for Labrador. Yes the paving of the TLH is painfully slow, but so is every highway project in NL.

Ball, of course, doesn't seem to have any plans.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Aug 12, 2015 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 11:25 PM

In the case of Lab West, it's not easy to diversify an economy that has been built around one resource.

Diversification isn't easy and people complain when government spends money to try and diversify the economy.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 10:21 AM

City councillor Bernard Davis is now the Liberal candidate in Virginia Water Pleasantville. Haven't heard a whole lot from him over the last 2 - or almost 2 - years that he's been on council.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 3:11 PM

At some point the Liberals have to discuss their vision for governing the province, right? It'd be nice to know exactly what the future governments plan will be.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
At some point the Liberals have to discuss their vision for governing the province, right? It'd be nice to know exactly what the future governments plan will be.
They seem to be doing quite fine without telling us. Although if the NDP see further gains in the polls it could mean that several of the Liberals potential cabinet ministers in and around St. John's won't make it to the House of Assembly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's