HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
That's probably for the best, as I believe first year students very rarely get parking on campus.
I don't believe she'd even be allowed to apply. I think you have to have so many courses completed first. Although I don't know how it works if you live on campus.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
She hates driving anyway. It's been an uphill battle to get her to even get a drivers license. And all her friends are the same. Boys, girls, I don't get it. It was almost a rite of passage when I was 16 that you go and get your drivers license as quick as possible.
Wow when I was 16 I rushed to get a license so I could drive away from home as quick as I could

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
She hates driving anyway. It's been an uphill battle to get her to even get a drivers license. And all her friends are the same. Boys, girls, I don't get it. It was almost a rite of passage when I was 16 that you go and get your drivers license as quick as possible.
A year or so of riding the St. John's Metrobus system would soon change that.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:29 PM

I think we took care of a lot of the basics in here. Feel free to post any other questions, and of course we're always available by PM. I know it can be a little hard on the nerves packing up a child and shipping them across the country so to speak but I imagine everything will be fine, MUN is a great school and St. John's is a great city, what else could you want?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:36 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I think we took care of a lot of the basics in here. Feel free to post any other questions, and of course we're always available by PM. I know it can be a little hard on the nerves packing up a child and shipping them across the country so to speak but I imagine everything will be fine, MUN is a great school and St. John's is a great city, what else could you want?
Yup, but we all did it and survived. Truth is I'm looking forward to it for her. I suspect she'll make it her home. The more I look at St. John's, the more I think, Hey, my company has an office there.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Yup, but we all did it and survived. Truth is I'm looking forward to it for her. I suspect she'll make it her home. The more I look at St. John's, the more I think, Hey, my company has an office there.
Well the whole family should move down, and tell all your friends!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:15 PM

I moved here from the West Coast of BC almost a year ago (holy time has FLOWN BY) and I'd like to think I've adapted to the city fairly well. The only things I've complained about, and could do without is pretty much everything to do with the nasty winter we just had! It was cold, snowy, dark (rolling blackouts!) and definitely the hardest and longest Winter I've ever been through. But, coming from the rainiest settlement in North America, it gave me a dose of what "real" Canadian Winters are all about!

Getting around town on the Metrobus does suck some times, especially if you don't plan ahead and don't leave yourself with enough time to get to your destination. The busses do break down, they do get delayed, and sometimes you have to take the next bus. Buuuuut, there is free Wifi on most busses, you can earn Air Miles with every ride, and they have a pre-loaded card system so you don't have to carry cash. There is also an app for all the schedules, and it will show you exactly where your bus is, and if it's on time.

Exploring the city has been the best part of being here. There is so much history to learn about, things to see, and places to go! I still go up to Signal Hill almost every week, been to Cape Spear numerous times, and go for drives and walks downtown just to see what's going on. I'm pretty excited the snow is gone and it's warmer out, so now I can get back out and explore the hundreds of km's of walking and hiking trails around town! I just picked up a new rain jacket and some new hikers at Intersport at the Avalon Mall, so now I'm set!

It IS expensive to buy food here - milk is over $4 for a 2L, but sometimes you can get 2 for $7. Fruit and veggies are even worse, not to mention the quality and freshness isn't the greatest :-( a lot are half spoiled before you buy them. There is no shortage of places to go out to eat here, whether you like fast food, good for you food, or fine dining. Just be ready to pay the price for it, because it's not cheap either, but always a good time eating downtown, specially on a weekend, when the city comes alive with extra visitors!

I honestly could write a lot more, but it's already been said by the guys ahead of me. St. John's is an amazing place to be, and their schooling is top notch, and cheap! If you, or your daughter have any questions, feel free to pm me, and I'll do my best to help you out!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I just wanted to add KAO79 and I are Facebook friends and I've rarely seen someone get as involved in a new city. Kao's social life is busier than mine. Definitely a great person to get the newcomer perspective.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:43 PM

Oh SHH, you're too kind. My social life is lacking, but my Facebook life is pretty fun! We still need to get out and take pictures. I just noticed you haven't posted in the St. John's photo thread since March 9!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'd love to! And, yes, need to update soon. Work has been INSANE.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 3:25 PM
of Canada

So here we are just a little over a year later and my daughter is home for the summer. She had a great first year in St. John's and at MUN. And she's already looking forward to going back. I imagine by next year she may just stick around St. John's for the summer. She brought back this souvenir which really won't last long (fortunately if you look hard enough you can find them in Calgary):

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
So here we are just a little over a year later and my daughter is home for the summer. She had a great first year in St. John's and at MUN. And she's already looking forward to going back. I imagine by next year she may just stick around St. John's for the summer. She brought back this souvenir which really won't last long (fortunately if you look hard enough you can find them in Calgary):

Glad to hear your daughter had a great year at MUN (and St. John's).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 8:49 PM

Eat those jam jams ASAP; they dry out quickly!

Glad to hear your daughter enjoyed the city, it's a shame she's leaving before the best season of the year

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:12 PM
of Canada

UPDATE!!!!!

Hmmmmm, a year since this thread was active. My daughter is home for a week. Or I should say, in Calgary for a week (and brought JamJams of course).

Home is definitely St. John's for her now. Her drivers license was about to expire so before she left, she exchanged it for a NL license. I guess now that she has her membership card, she's officially moved there.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:20 PM

Quote:
UPDATE!!!!!

Hmmmmm, a year since this thread was active. My daughter is home for a week. Or I should say, in Calgary for a week (and brought JamJams of course).

Home is definitely St. John's for her now. Her drivers license was about to expire so before she left, she exchanged it for a NL license. I guess now that she has her membership card, she's officially moved there.
Awesome We need more young people here. Glad to hear everything's going well for her. Now that she's had to make the painful pilgrimage to the Mount Pearl DMV, and has felt our pain, she's officially one of us

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:29 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Awesome We need more young people here. Glad to hear everything's going well for her. Now that she's had to make the painful pilgrimage to the Mount Pearl DMV, and has felt our pain, she's officially one of us
Yeah, I couldn't believe that's the only place in town where you can do that. I even asked SignalHillHiker if that was true and sure enough. She went there using transit - it wasn't her best day on record

Unlike here though, she got her license right away (didn't have to wait a week for it to come in the mail).

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't believe that's the only place in town where you can do that. I even asked SignalHillHiker if that was true and sure enough. She went there using transit - it wasn't her best day on record

Unlike here though, she got her license right away (didn't have to wait a week for it to come in the mail).
Wow. I'm not sure which neighbourhood in town she lives in, but this is a real trek. I had to do this back in the fall; got a 40 minute bus from Memorial University to the Village Mall, then paid for a 20 dollar, 20 minute cab ride from the Village to the DMV. Another bus transfer and ride probably takes another 35 minutes but I didn't feel like waiting a half hour for the transfer.

It really is a day long ordeal.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Very flattered to hear it, RWin.

Sucks having her so far away, I'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:33 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Haha, I looked up the DMV on google maps and ended up just keeping AB plates and license for my 5 years there. I'm glad she is still enjoying herself there, but not surprised. It's a great place to be a student.

I hope you've fulfilled your duty as a Calgarian to make her as jealous as possible about the weather this winter. Just ask SHH, jeddy, or Marty...I've been relentless since January on Facebook.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 7:45 PM
of Canada

I certainly can't complain about the weather here. I must admit I chuckled a little bit last week. But then thought, "Wait a minute, that could ground planes and she's traveling this week "

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's