HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Virginia Park has underground electrical.
So does the former Newtown on Pearl Mountain

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 5:12 PM

Glencrest site seems to have been updated

http://www.glencrest.ca/

Also aerial footage of development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bNWS_BZ8vY

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 8:14 PM

Here's some new stuff from the website. Don't get too excited, some of you will hate this lol.

Commercial

Quote:
The Shoppes at Galway is a part of the 2,400-acre master-planned community of Galway, and will offer a new and exciting retail experience for the region. This premiere retail space will be located just moments from Galway’s new residential area and the Glencrest Business Centre. It is also adjacent to the fastest growing communities in the province and just ten minutes from St. John’s centre and downtown areas.

Perched atop the city skyline with stunning views, The Shoppes at Galway represents the ultimate location for retailers and restaurants that want to do business in one of the most vibrant, progressive cities in Canada.

Highlights:

Potential for up to 1 million square feet of retail space
650,000 square feet to be developed within the first five years
Customized lot and building sizes to suit your business needs
Superior landscaping, with tree-lined streets
Premiere location with a core population base of approximately 270,000

Stores, entertainment and restaurant details coming soon.

Residential

Quote:
They say location is everything, and we couldn’t agree more. Perched atop the city with stunning views, residents will soon discover that attention to detail makes Galway a truly special place. Beautifully designed homes will be nestled amongst green, open spaces with a multi-use interconnected walking trail right outside your door.

If you dream of a stress-free lifestyle where everything you need is just moments from home, Galway living will make that dream a reality. Grab a coffee on your way to work from the neighbourhood barista; have lunch at a café; hit the links; or enjoy a cocktail on your way home at the local pub. Convenience, charm and comfort – everything you need to live your fullest life. The tranquility of a suburban living, yet a short drive from the hustle and bustle of St. John’s centre and downtown.

Welcome home!

Business Centre

Quote:
The Glencrest Business Centre is the crown jewel of the master planned community of Galway. Perched atop the city, Glencrest provides businesses with high visibility from the Trans Canada Highway and quick access to both the international airport and Port.

Glencrest welcomes large multinational corporations as well as local businesses, operating across a wide range of industrial sectors, particularly companies servicing the oil & gas and mining industries. Zoned for heavy and light industrial purposes, The Centre offers high-quality lots ranging in size from 1 acre up to 20 acres for those looking to grow or start a business. Phase 1 will see 100 acres of prime office and industrial real estate ready for development, with an additional 125 acres being added by the end of Phase 2.

With the potential for 5,000 new homes, over 1 million square feet of retail space and up to 225 acres of industrial space, Galway will be the future of St. John’s. Innovative, unique, and unlike anything this province has ever seen before.
http://www.glencrest.ca/

http://www.galwaynl.ca/about/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 9:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Disgusting. Especially this:

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/up...endering-3.jpg

There's a bit of that on Logy Bay Road and in some mainland cities where I've lived. DOUBLE THE ROAD to pay for, with 1/4 of the houses on it. Absolutely mind-blowing, unforgivably stupid urban planning.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 9:38 PM

Shut 'er down, the dream is over.

The images of the houses on the main road aren't bad. I mean, they're suburban but they're not bad (I don't expect something 25 mins away from downtown to be a brand new dense rowhouse core).

But what in the hell is up with these double streets?? The city can't plow what they already have.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

There's a bit of that on Logy Bay Road and in some mainland cities where I've lived. DOUBLE THE ROAD to pay for, with 1/4 of the houses on it. Absolutely mind-blowing, unforgivably stupid urban planning.
It's not ideal but it's suburbia, so I don't really expect much better. I think the concept drawings look nicer than all the other bland subdivisions around(ie, soutlands, kenmount terrace, Paradise).

I notice a lot of trees in the photos, which is nice. My biggest fear with this development is another Stavanger Drive/Kelsey Drive area.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:55 PM

Well, at least we're getting a Charles, Best Price and Fine Wine stores... LOL!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:16 PM

I'm interested to see what the 'Town Square" is all about. This may be something that could set this neighborhood apart from all the same ol' subdivisions and make this a bit unique:

Quote:
The Town Square will be the heart of the Galway community. Here, you will gather to meet friends, grab a coffee or take a leisurely stroll. You will be transported back to a simpler time in the Square, which will evoke a quaint, “small town” community atmosphere.

Highlights include:
•Locally owned shops, cafes, and pubs
•Pedestrian only walking zone
•Park benches
•Well-lit public space
•Living space above retail area
I may get to enjoy a beer in the exact same spot where I used to drink beer in the woods as a teenager growing up in the Pearl.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 5:13 PM

I like the residential street concepts. Time will tell though if they will really end up looking this idylic.

The strip mall is strip mall, is a strip mall. Yawn.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Well, at least we're getting a Charles, Best Price and Fine Wine stores... LOL!
NLC's gonna be mad about that one

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Honestly, anything that differentiates it from the many clone subdivisions we have now is welcome in my book.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 7:03 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Kind of what I think a lot of us have been expecting. It's not another massive Kenmount Terrace, but it certainly isn't a walkable, smart, urban community. It's just... a slightly nicer suburb.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 1:42 PM

The shoppes at Galway have updated their website to include a development map of the proposed shopping area. Doesn't look too different from all the other big box shopping parks around metro. Here is the link...

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/up...-APR-06-16.pdf

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
The shoppes at Galway have updated their website to include a development map of the proposed shopping area. Doesn't look too different from all the other big box shopping parks around metro. Here is the link...

http://www.galwaynl.ca/wp-content/up...-APR-06-16.pdf
Say what you will about the development, but I really hope the name Danny Drive stays.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 6:02 PM

The roundabout at the Ruth Avenue ramp to access Galway is still not finished. I'm puzzled how it has taken so long to build a circle on a road that was shut down for the construction. The development also calls for a roundabout at the ramps on the Mount Pearl side. We can expect this one to take even longer I'm sure, as the Galway developers recommend a redesign of Ruth Avenue between Old Placentia Road and Galway. This includes removing the lights and intersection at Kent & Olympic Drive, making all entrances to businesses a right in/right out, installing a median in the middle of Ruth Avenue and the biggie....removing the Old Placentia @ Ruth Avenue lights and making that intersection a roundabout.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 12:22 PM

The Ruth Avenue roundabout is set to open tomorrow, Wednesday, August 3, 2016.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 1:03 PM

Traveling into Town the other day, I noticed a sign showing a building render at the Glencrest site. I think the building is around 2 stories and is going to be built by Bird Construction. I dont know about you guys, but I cant wait to see what the whole area is going to look like once it is built up. And I wonder, will the residential section have some high-rise apartments/condos pop up?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:14 AM

Let there be light. I noticed last night that a line of street lights dot the horizon in Galway. It's very noticeable from most points of view in Mount Pearl. It looks to be the road behind what's to be the Shoppes at Galway that runs on back of the current water tanks and eventually down over the hill to the TCH side of the development to the Glencrest Business Park. I'm not sure if the lights carry all the way down to that area.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 8:04 PM

Costco moving from Stavanger Dr.

After hearing from multiple sources that Costco will be relocating from Stavanger Drive to Galway development. New store will be the largest Costco in Canada.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocchet22 View Post
After hearing from multiple sources that Costco will be relocating from Stavanger Drive to Galway development. New store will be the largest Costco in Canada.
Wow! Just after Costco was about to lease out the old Target building too...

Having Costco gone from Stavanger drive will for sure be a hit to the other stores in that area, I guess we'll figure out what will happen with it all soon enough! (PS. My first post here! )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's