HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Pleasantville also has the underground electrical you spoke of. It does look great.

That said, installation of underground electrical is very, very time consuming and expensive. It definitely shoots up development costs. St. John's already has development costs through the roof, which is one of the main contributors to our steadily rising home prices. While I like underground electrical and would like to see more of it, home-buyers will have to be willing to pay for the installation in their neighbourhoods. They're going to see the cost come back to them in the form of an extra few thousand dollars on their home price.
Thats why the only other sub division i know of that has this is king william and well i think we all know why that is. The reason i think its not as popular here as the mainland city's is because digging here sucks basically rock the whole way, or a swamp no in between like in alberta and that.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:36 PM

Virginia Park has underground electrical.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:26 PM

I created a concept for a Shopping Centre in Galway named GlencrestLake. Its similar to Bayer's Lake in Halifax, but this one is smaller. This photo is not to scale, but I decided to share it just for you guys to see what I can improve, change and what you like about it.

Please contact me if you have any questions - handrigan2000@gmail.com

Merci Beaucoup!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:27 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Looks good.

I've love to see a cohesive, four-floor mall with a parking garage, though. Surrounded by high-density apartment/condo buildings.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Looks good.

I've love to see a cohesive, four-floor mall with a parking garage, though. Surrounded by high-density apartment/condo buildings.
A new Mall would be nice, especially in our climate. Park your car once (or get off the bus once...for you "mass transit" types...lol) and do all your shopping without having to go outside. But them I would miss getting in and out of may car, brushing off snow every ten minutes a la "power Centre" shopping.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Looks good.

I did have a mall in Concept One,
Ill upload it a couple of minutes

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:53 PM

Here is Concept One!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 3:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Even better!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsJustePourDire View Post
Here is Concept One!

haha - wow. I love your enthusiasm and initiative.

Alas, I cannot support any concept plan that reinforces (and relies on) personal-vehicle transportation.

Concept 1 is certainly more favourable. But I would like to think we could be much more ambitious with our shopping districts.

I actually think a protest needs to be stimulated against the Galway Power Centre, in general.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 8:09 PM

Oh! Also - nice Graphic Design!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
I actually think a protest needs to be stimulated against the Galway Power Centre, in general.
Agree

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 11:21 PM

What are these concepts to be used for? Are they actually being submitted somewhere?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:57 AM

I believe they're just exercises in (sub)urban planning. I doubt Mr. Williams will be taking much public input.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovesNL View Post
What are these concepts to be used for? Are they actually being submitted somewhere?
They're not being submitted, I just do it in my spare time!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:33 PM

I agree. Even though shopping malls seem to be a thing of the past in North America, here in Newfoundland it would make more sense especially with our horrible weather that we have for the majority of the year. I was down at Stavanger Drive the other day and it was so friggin cold, I decided to head home rather than get in and out of my car several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
A new Mall would be nice, especially in our climate. Park your car once (or get off the bus once...for you "mass transit" types...lol) and do all your shopping without having to go outside. But them I would miss getting in and out of may car, brushing off snow every ten minutes a la "power Centre" shopping.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 12:54 AM

Concept two looks great.

Skeptical that AX and Abercrombie would come here though, they both have not yet set up shop in Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:04 PM

I want a new maaaaaalll!!!!! lol and they can put a H&M in there for God sakes and a Forever 21 and a Zara BAM instant success hahaha

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:25 PM

As already mentioned beforehand, even though the concepts of enclosed malls is a dying trend across North America, I think Newfoundland bucks that trend only because the weather here sucks so much of the year.

I feel that the owners of The Avalon Mall are missing an opportunity here. They should be doing everything in their power to improve the flow and the choices of stores in the mall rather than turning it into a box store centre like they are doing now with all those strip stores outside of the main mall. They should build a second floor above the entire section from Fog City all the way down to Sears. I am sure it can be done. Though the owners of Avalon Mall unfortunately don't seem to have any idea of flow or architecture. Most of the mall feels like being in a subway station in Toronto with low ceilings and little natural light.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
As already mentioned beforehand, even though the concepts of enclosed malls is a dying trend across North America, I think Newfoundland bucks that trend only because the weather here sucks so much of the year.

I feel that the owners of The Avalon Mall are missing an opportunity here. They should be doing everything in their power to improve the flow and the choices of stores in the mall rather than turning it into a box store centre like they are doing now with all those strip stores outside of the main mall. They should build a second floor above the entire section from Fog City all the way down to Sears. I am sure it can be done. Though the owners of Avalon Mall unfortunately don't seem to have any idea of flow or architecture. Most of the mall feels like being in a subway station in Toronto with low ceilings and little natural light.
it might be dying in North America but in Europe it's still going strong (and is relatively new in many countries) and is incorporated in high density areas very well. Also like you said with the weather here...

This bad boy in Frankfurt is pretty cool (I was there a couple of years ago) it looks like a giant punched the wall but then the glass turns into a funnel that goes up through the centre of the mall.

The mall is on a pedestrian street will lots of shopping around it as well.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 8:53 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
haha - wow. I love your enthusiasm and initiative.

Alas, I cannot support any concept plan that reinforces (and relies on) personal-vehicle transportation.

Concept 1 is certainly more favourable. But I would like to think we could be much more ambitious with our shopping districts.

Everything built at Galway will rely on personal vehicle transportation. You might as well hope for and support development which would make the most sense there. Also, as reported in the main thread, proposals with density seem to focus on, and be possible, only in suburban areas such as Selfridge Rd, Ladysmith Dr., etc., away from the city centre. The only areas where there might be less dependency on personal auto transportation are within the city centre itself. It is not a surprise to me that condo sales are down (as reported recently) if they continue to build them only in low density pedestrian unfriendly areas where they are still totally dependent on private transportation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's