HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 8:23 PM

Galway - St. John's Newest Development

This thread is for St. John's Largest Development, Galway

Current Proposals

The Shoppes at Galway
- Initial development will consist of over 700,000 sq. ft. of retail space
- Premiere location with a core population base of approximately 270,000
- Proposed Opening - Spring 2018

Glencrest Business Centre
- 150 acres of industrial space
- Unknown date of completion

http://galwaynl.ca

Last edited by ThisIsJustePourDire; Nov 24, 2016 at 6:57 PM. Reason: Update Information

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 8:29 PM

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 9:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Looks just like Mount Pearl to me.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 11:29 PM

Lots of possibilities here but I fear it will just be typical sprawl. Time will tell!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:18 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Be not afraid. King Danny has declared that it will exhibit the best of contemporary urban planning. And so shall it be!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Be not afraid. King Danny has declared that it will exhibit the best of contemporary urban planning. And so shall it be!
"Created for families, businesspeople and retailers alike, Galway will be designed around a Town Square concept, complete with all of the amenities of modern life.

Neighbourhoods will feature an abundance of natural elements such as large open, green spaces, and connecting trails for walking, running and biking."

This gives me some optimism that it will be a bit different from, let's say something like Paradise.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 12:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Me too. At least it's going to be a functioning community, paying full city taxes.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:09 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Hmm, the name is not very original; there is already a Galway in Ireland.
But then, that seems to be the whole point, but why?
Unless it is going to resemble the real Galway, which is doubtful.

As for the actual meaning of the name, "Galway . . . signifies a rocky barren country".
http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/hi...n_of_name.html

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post

As for the actual meaning of the name, "Galway . . . signifies a rocky barren country".
Danny Williams's mother's maiden name is Galway.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-Irish-roots/1

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 9:50 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovesNL View Post
Danny Williams's mother's maiden name is Galway.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-Irish-roots/1
In that case, not a bad name after all. In spite of what I said, much of the new world is already named after the old world.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 5:56 PM

Who says the name has to be original? I guess he can name it whatever he likes.

And what is Newfoundland but a rocky barren country? Seems fitting. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 2:25 AM

Spraaaaaaaawl. I guess I shouldn't expect more; Danny Williams is a businessperson and this is a money-maker. "Town square[s]" and green spaces don't change the fact that most of these folks will still commute. Giving them their own Stavanger isn't going to make this a healthy, sustainable, or "modern" community. At least there's tons of parking! I'm cynical, but I really would like to see any evidence that this won't be more of the same. Promises of chain stores aren't doing it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 2:56 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I felt I misspoke about the name, it's not that important; just that it was my first impression. As for planning, the only new "revolutionary" ideas that have come along in the past few years have been "new urbanism", or high density urban type developments exemplified by "Vancouverism". Unless the planning embodies some of these ideas, there really aren't any alternatives to it being some form of sprawl.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboard View Post
Spraaaaaaaawl. I guess I shouldn't expect more; Danny Williams is a businessperson and this is a money-maker. "Town square[s]" and green spaces don't change the fact that most of these folks will still commute. Giving them their own Stavanger isn't going to make this a healthy, sustainable, or "modern" community. At least there's tons of parking! I'm cynical, but I really would like to see any evidence that this won't be more of the same. Promises of chain stores aren't doing it.
I'm sure it won't be quite as good as what Danny is promising, but I think it will be better then what you're suggesting. I think it helps that they have a plan in place to create a sense of community and not building subdivision upon subdivision with no plan or vision im mind (Paradise)

Have faith! Don't go "overboard"

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 1:16 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I welcome the opportunity for someone to pleasantly surprise me, however, I'm really not expecting much from Galway.

It's another suburb, IMO. "Celebration Florida" will be awesome, IF that's how it comes out. Until I see a plan, I'm pretty warm on this.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 6:51 PM

I'm glad to see Galway has it's own thread. Given the size of this project, it certainly warrants one.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 7:01 PM

I really hope this development will be unique and different. Some of the things I would like to see are mature trees planted in all areas of the development whether it be the residential, commercial or industrial sections. I would also like to see the wires buried. This was done in parts of St. John's and Mount Pearl in the 70's and eventually given up in favour of running the electrical, telephone and cable wires on back of homes instead. This still looks like a mess to me and is not very aesthetically pleasing. Most cities in other parts of Canada are required to bury all utilities in newer areas. Only here in Newfoundland have we taken a step backwards. Remaining on the utility topic, I would like to see some unique lighting such as lamp posts and the use of LED lighting. Pleasantville now has LED lighting as part of it's re-development. The new light poles they are attached too are also on concrete bases which will keep them from tilting and bending over time because of wind, ground settlement and snow plow damage.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 7:03 PM

Here's hoping it won't be Paradise.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
I'm glad to see Galway has it's own thread. Given the size of this project, it certainly warrants one.
Given the size of development there may need to be more than one thread on this eventually

Quote:
I really hope this development will be unique and different. Some of the things I would like to see are mature trees planted in all areas of the development whether it be the residential, commercial or industrial sections. I would also like to see the wires buried. This was done in parts of St. John's and Mount Pearl in the 70's and eventually given up in favour of running the electrical, telephone and cable wires on back of homes instead. This still looks like a mess to me and is not very aesthetically pleasing. Most cities in other parts of Canada are required to bury all utilities in newer areas. Only here in Newfoundland have we taken a step backwards. Remaining on the utility topic, I would like to see some unique lighting such as lamp posts and the use of LED lighting. Pleasantville now has LED lighting as part of it's re-development. The new light poles they are attached too are also on concrete bases which will keep them from tilting and bending over time because of wind, ground settlement and snow plow damage.
I like all these ideas Would especially love the planting of mature trees considering how many of the new developments have NO trees, let alone something that'll take a few years to grow.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 12:40 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Pleasantville also has the underground electrical you spoke of. It does look great.

That said, installation of underground electrical is very, very time consuming and expensive. It definitely shoots up development costs. St. John's already has development costs through the roof, which is one of the main contributors to our steadily rising home prices. While I like underground electrical and would like to see more of it, home-buyers will have to be willing to pay for the installation in their neighbourhoods. They're going to see the cost come back to them in the form of an extra few thousand dollars on their home price.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's