HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:34 PM

Sorry for the double post again, but did anyone share this in the main Canada section yet?? I think we should. Even though it wouldn't be big news in Montreal or even Halifax for that matter, it's pretty big news for us

Maybe include Architype's image of the existing neighbourhood as well?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I was waiting for PoscStudent, but it's taking too long, ha! I'll just give him credit.

EDIT: Done!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:43 PM
ハルウララ

That Tiffany development looks great!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:51 PM

this is the beginning, when developers see that they can do this outside the heritage area downtown and people lose the fear of highrises lol I predict many more of this style to come. It seems like here there needs to be one developer to initiate a type of development then others catch on.

In the pleasantville plan there are 2 buildings that are 10 story apartment buildings just to name one (and maybe they will increase the height after we break our 12 story ceiling lol)

Its like the developers see one that can do a height and a bunch at that height are proposed because they feel comfortable lol

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:55 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Guys, we need the Steel Toe Boot Squad to come out swinging for this one. I want to see at least 10 of us at every meeting.

If you're a lurker, and don't want to meet with us - that's fine. Just please show up independently. If you're not comfortable speaking, clap after someone who speaks in support.

This is just the beginning for us. We are going to BOOM and, if Jeddy's right, it's going to blow your mind.

My goal is to accomplish three things:

1. Preserve the heritage areas of downtown. Once we're a city of 500,000, a million, even more... our entire existing downtown is going to be a fraction of the size of the one we'll have. Why not preserve ALL the heritage areas, and have a beautiful little remnant of our past like great European cities?

2. Expand our downtown. It's too small for our current population. We're trying to cram too much down there... heritage, development, etc. We need to expand west.

3. WELCOME DEVELOPMENT IN APPROPRIATE AREAS. I want Stantec to have as easy a ****ing ride as possible with this one. I want developers to know they are MORE THAN WELCOME outside the heritage areas. PLEASE build here... don't send your investment somewhere else.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 8:46 PM

This is great news, looks a good solid development.

Any word on how much each of these units will cost per month? I hope it's less then 800 dollars per month so that it demonstrates the positive benefits of high rise construction. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:40 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I'm honestly not in any way blown away by the design of the building, but I'm thrilled with the proposal none the less. The height alone is an excellent precedent, and the location is perfect for that sort of development.

I'll be supporting it, obviously.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:12 PM

I'm a huge lurker and haven't got much to say on the matter, but I love seeing the development that's been happening lately. These towers are sure to set a precedent. I'll try to make it to any meetings I can.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Awesome! Thank you. And join in any discussing you like.

Also, Townie709, BRILLIANT post in the Canadian City Proposals thread!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife View Post
This is great news, looks a good solid development.

Any word on how much each of these units will cost per month? I hope it's less then 800 dollars per month so that it demonstrates the positive benefits of high rise construction. Fingers crossed.
I will suggest that these units will rent for no less than 1300 per month. These are not budget units.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
I will suggest that these units will rent for no less than 1300 per month. These are not budget units.
Yeah, I guess they are assisted living units with alot of extra facilities and perks, so yes you're probably right. I guess they would have to be compared to other similar low rise developments for relevant numbers.

Thanks for the input

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Awesome! Thank you. And join in any discussing you like.

Also, Townie709, BRILLIANT post in the Canadian City Proposals thread!
Thanks but people still seem to dislike the proposal a lot! I don't think some people really get the layout of our city.. Oh well! We know its great and that's all that matters

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 1:52 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That's true... but, most of them are from cities where this really would be pathetic. We're building modern now. This would be like inviting someone from Paris to St. John's and expecting them to be completely blown away by our heritage buildings.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:00 AM

Interesting! It's definitely not a pretty proposal; it's pretty standard style for any city in North America, but it's definitely a great proposal for where it's going to be here in our city

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:03 AM

Oh yeah, I completely understand that. In any other larger city, a 16 story residential tower would hardly make a difference and those that do gain attention from the "skyscraperpage forumers" would have to have a magnificent design.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:16 AM

It's probably because the forumers from larger cities get the opportunity to see truly beautiful, top of the line proposals day in and day out. This is just as exciting for us, we don't often see 16-story buildings being proposed around these parts

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:45 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Great to see the new proposals finally. The official name seems to be Tiffany Estates, and the design looks reasonably attractive, something similar to the existing one, with some nice detailing and setbacks. I would guess they will build one at a time, probably with the use of one tower crane, but who knows. The floor to floor heights are quite generous, probably meaining high ceilings etc.; also most of the units are large two bedrooms - this won't be a cheap building by any means. At 58 metres, they would be second tallest only to the the Confed Building, including its lantern "spire". Often a 58 metre building can contain as much as 20 stories.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:59 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Posted this for Chadillac in the Canada section - might be good for us to see here as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Chadillac - depending on the angle, it's possible to make them look very close to downtown or not very close at all.

In reality, by the standards of St. John's core urban area (not including separate municipalities in the suburbs), they are about half-way across the city from downtown, which is, of course, at the edge along the harbour.

Here is an angle that makes them look about as far from downtown as you could possibly make them look.

These towers will be in the middle of the yellow box at the right edge of the photo:

And here is an angle that will make them look VERY close to downtown. The buildings in the background of this shot are the existing ones in the yellow box above:

Old and New St. John's by Signal Hill Hiker Photography, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:15 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The Tiffany buildings are just a few metres shorter than the tallest residential buildings in Halifax (excluding Fenwick, and Kings Wharf (proposed)), they are 21 to 22 stories, and hard to say their exact height, but they're probably around 68 metres or less.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 11:55 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

It isn't pretty though. Let's be honest. It's a pretty standard suburban tower that you'd see off the highway in a lot of places, and isn't particularly striking. That's disappointing. In my opinion the excitement comes from what the development represents, not what it physically is. As far as I'm concerned, it's physically pretty ugly. Maybe I'm alone on that line of thought though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's