HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 8:40 PM

so are we going with a 16 player map?

I'm happy with the smaller one and building my city in Petrol bay if we go with it.. up to you guys

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 8:45 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

We could start with the small one until we know the game better, then move onto the bigger regions.

How can we tell which city is which on those two maps?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 8:50 PM

Just got done catching up on some gameplay footage and noticed this thread! The graphics look pretty impressive, though I guess I fall into the category of the hardcore SC4 fans when I say as a whole it's a bit disappointing. Small city-sized, can't build out a large realistic looking region (size wise, not necessarily population), and just seems rather limited given the powerful engine that is running it. Kind of reminds me of a SimTown reboot as opposed to a SimCity reboot. Ahh well, there's enough user-generated content on-the-go for SC4 to keep it going for another 10 years (some good quality Atlantic Canadian content too!). For those looking for interactive social play though, should be lots to do there.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Jeddy,

Think we should split this thread up and start a "St. John's Community SimCity (2013)" thread?

Going through posts and trying to make everyone happy here is what everyone has showed interest in:

Trader's Ridge: Copes / Dmajackson
Petrol Bay: Copes / Jeddy
Ingot Landing: Ayreonaut
Grand Haven: Dmajackson / Jeddy
Cinder: Jeddy
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands: Copes / Dmajackson

Yet to Comment: Signalhillhiker, Marty

So, through process of elimination I can come up with:

Trader's Ridge: Dmajackson
Petrol Bay: Copes
Grand Haven: Jeddy
Cinder:
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands:

Yet to Comment: Signalhillhiker, Marty

Myself or Dmajackson could also bounce to Soiree Sands if someone else was dying for Petrol / Trader's.
I don't mind starting off with the smaller region either. Jeddy1989 has requested Trader's Ridge so I've reconfigured the old list to meet this as well as my preference to build a education/resort town.

Trader's Ridge: Copes
Petrol Bay: Jeddy
Grand Haven: DJ
Cinder:
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands:

SignalHillHiker can choose one of the remaining three cities.

- DJ

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I don't mind starting off with the smaller region either. Jeddy1989 has requested Trader's Ridge so I've reconfigured the old list to meet this as well as my preference to build a education/resort town.

Trader's Ridge: Copes
Petrol Bay: Jeddy
Cinder:
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands:

SignalHillHiker can choose one of the remaining three cities.
^Yeah and any of the other remaining cities are fine for me, though I'd probably take a preference over Summit Vista over the others

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 9:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'll take whatever's left. I really have no preference where I build so bring it on.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 10:15 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Yeah I'd prefer to start on the smaller map as well, and move to a 16 person region after we get a feel for managing a single town and how regional cooperation works.

If its all the same, I'd hope over to Soiree Sands instead of Trader's Ridge, after further thinking.

Trader's Ridge:
Petrol Bay:
Jeddy
Cinder:
Summit Vista:
Soiree Sands:
Copes

SignalHillHiker and Marty can choose one of the remaining three cities.

I've decided I want to build a Crime Infested Gambling lair and allow crime to spill into all of your borders!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 11:32 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I might want in on this if it gets going.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I've decided I want to build a Crime Infested Gambling lair and allow crime to spill into all of your borders!
No, not Martyville!

my face when you destroy my city with your crime:

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 12:50 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Don't worry, I'll happily take your corrupt city officials and sleazy cops if you're looking for a place to get rid of them. It won't be all bad. Maybe I'll set up the dump as well.

Cope Land will flourish in its own unique way.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:42 PM

Awesome little video! hahaha

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 4:11 PM

First time I seen this thread.

I played the hell out of SC4, to the point that my laptop will no longer play it. Whenever I put in the disc my computer overheats and shuts down. So frustrating.

The only thing I never liked about it was that SC4 didn't allow for building a single "metropolis". The regions are cool, but I could never build a city of more than 220,000. It still looks impressive in the game, but I'd like to be able to build a Toronto or Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
The only thing I never liked about it was that SC4 didn't allow for building a single "metropolis". The regions are cool, but I could never build a city of more than 220,000. It still looks impressive in the game, but I'd like to be able to build a Toronto or Vancouver.
Issue with creating a metropolis (and it remains on the new SimCity) is scale. Each large city tile in an SC4 region was scaled to about 4km x 4km (I used to do a large amount of map creation for SC4 over at Simtropolis some years ago, though I realized after sometime that my scale was off). Anyway, point being, in order to do a proper re-creation, or to create a true metropolis you need a very large region that blends across city tiles (And usually quite a powerful computer). There are many who do this, and quite impressively in fact. For me I stick to doing re-creations/re-interpretations of smaller areas (usually cities of less than 200,000), as it doesn't need as much computing power and I generally prefer smaller cities (it's what I know!). Still, in that case I would be using 6-10 city tiles to do it.

Here's a sample of what can be done with a well-equipped SC4 and working on a region of about 10x5ish large city tiles (40km x 20km) - This is by 'RickD' at sc4devotion.com (link to post below). I can only wish that I had his eye for detail.

Photo By "RickD" at SC4Devotion.com - Full Size

As originally seen at http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index....2144#msg412144

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 9:47 PM

^wow that's an impressive looking map.

One thing I never liked about SC4 was how difficult it was to build on slopes. Each building was made level with a huge concrete base which looked awful (there could be a mod out there to fix it, I've never looked).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 10:06 PM

I've been watching some beta play for the new game, and I think I won't have a problem with the game as a whole. My only concern will be that mass transit options may be limited, though I do remember that many of the mass transit perks that existed in SC4 were released with the Rush Hour expansion pack so the same thing could be happening here. I'd also like to see some type of game option where you could plant trees during gameplay.

My only real problem is with how poorly the people are playing the beta. So. Much. Wasted. Space.

EDIT: As I'm watching a video I'm seeing a few things that I like!

- School service areas can be extended by building bus stops. So instead of building a new school outside of the other schools circle, you can just place a few stops to increase its range.

- Instead of building brand new service buildings when they reach capacity, you can pay to build new sections/wings onto the building

I'll keep editing if I see more things I like

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 10:27 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I've been watching some beta play for the new game, and I think I won't have a problem with the game as a whole. My only concern will be that mass transit options may be limited, though I do remember that many of the mass transit perks that existed in SC4 were released with the Rush Hour expansion pack so the same thing could be happening here. I'd also like to see some type of game option where you could plant trees during gameplay.

My only real problem is with how poorly the people are playing the beta. So. Much. Wasted. Space.

EDIT: As I'm watching a video I'm seeing a few things that I like!

- School service areas can be extended by building bus stops. So instead of building a new school outside of the other schools circle, you can just place a few stops to increase its range.

- Instead of building brand new service buildings when they reach capacity, you can pay to build new sections/wings onto the building

I'll keep editing if I see more things I like
Links?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Links?
This is the one I'm watching, but there are plenty more out there

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 10:37 PM

Further along in his gameplay he plays around with a bus system. There are nice options there actually, which include a bus depot, individual stops, and a park-and-ride system

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 2:45 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

I watched his full session. I really thought it was neat how you could zone out into the full region view, which he does at the end. I also figured out where all the towns in Cape Trinity are when he did that, which is great, because Cape Trinity is my planned first personal region so I can get the hang of things. There were a lot of neat things I caught as he was playing. Certainly would have built the town differently than he did. After the hour, his central area was starting to build up. I think with some better zoning he could have stretched that further and had far more density. I can't wait to play this game. I just hope my laptop can indeed play it (which it appears it can). Having to wait until my computer is built would be painful.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 3:41 AM

I'm just banking on the fact that my computer handles The Sims 3 and SC4 well that it should be able to handle the new game. If not, I'll be the saddest person alive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's