HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 4:23 PM

Question: am I the only person on here who has the St. John's map for SC4? Because if I am I feel like I should share it with you guys

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 4:24 PM

So I'm pleased to say I just had a quick online check of my machine for its SimCity (2013) compatibility and it should work. I do lack in the amount of dedicated video RAM but that is just recommended so it should run fine most of the time.

I think when I create my region I'm going to call the large touristy gambling city "Halifax", the higher-class city "St John's", the dirty industrial city "Moncton" and the university town "Charlottetown". If there's any land left I'll dub the low-class sprawl "Truro" and a wooded patch of nothingness "Sydney".

- DJ

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 4:29 PM
ハルウララ

If you've played any SimCity in the past then the new one is going to be a letdown. I stopped playing the Beta after ten minutes because I was that unimpressed.

I still play SC4 from time to time but I lost the data on all of my big cities. The map that i'm currently going through (very slowly) is Osaka.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Question: am I the only person on here who has the St. John's map for SC4? Because if I am I feel like I should share it with you guys
do share!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
do share!
I'll zip it up when I get the chance and link it on here. For anyone who may have a simtropolis account, you can find the region on there The proportions are a little whacky: the harbour is insanely small in comparison to the amount of land around it. But the region is the northeast avalon as a whole: from Pouch Cove out to Holyrood and everything in between.

You can also find the HRM region and (I think Moncton) made by the same user as well. There are also some Halifax buildings on there, but nothing huge.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 2:32 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

So, great news. Did some research yesterday after the talk here and it looks like my Laptop will be able to run SimCity. The construction of a new computer shouldn't hold me up.

Any idea what region we might want to dive into? Now that I've learned this, I think I'll be buying on launch day!

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Regions

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 9:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Townie...

Also, you guys... ( Oh God, now I'm laughing at my "Hey, you guys!") Anyhoo... I'm going to get SimCity's newest release as well so that I can be the comedic relief in your little building extravaganza.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 12:24 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Townie...

Also, you guys... ( Oh God, now I'm laughing at my "Hey, you guys!") Anyhoo... I'm going to get SimCity's newest release as well so that I can be the comedic relief in your little building extravaganza.
Based on interest, I say we tackle a 7 person region. We want to have room to include everyone (and potentially add more) but I'm not sure if we want to have a mega region considering the distance between some cities.

Reflection Atoll has space for 7 unique cities, while also connecting everyone via the same highway and train tracks. Horizon Archipelago would be the next largest region, but not everyone is connected. Not sure how that would work with trading and what not.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Based on interest, I say we tackle a 7 person region. We want to have room to include everyone (and potentially add more) but I'm not sure if we want to have a mega region considering the distance between some cities.

Reflection Atoll has space for 7 unique cities, while also connecting everyone via the same highway and train tracks. Horizon Archipelago would be the next largest region, but not everyone is connected. Not sure how that would work with trading and what not.
personally I like my city to be near water or have mountains or something of interest not just a flat area and the city areas can be quite small initially, you can acquire neighboring areas if unoccupied to expand if i'm not mistaken, so it'd be nice of our cities weren't all directly connected and pushing into each other (becoming the NEA ) but both maps seem nice

having another look I'm leaning towards the smaller one, I'd want one of the bays or that middle island

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
personally I like my city to be near water or have mountains or something of interest not just a flat area and the city areas can be quite small initially, you can acquire neighboring areas if unoccupied to expand if i'm not mistaken, so it'd be nice of our cities weren't all directly connected and pushing into each other (becoming the NEA ) but both maps seem nice

having another look I'm leaning towards the smaller one, I'd want one of the bays or that middle island
While that was a feature in Sim City 4, it doesn't seem to be the case in the new SC. In region view, cities will be notably separated. The goal of Sim City 2013 seems to be to create multiple cities within one region, versus Sim City 4 where you used a region to create one massive city.

From what little I've read on forums, it seems die-hard fans of SC4 are actually very much opposed to the change, with many refusing to buy the game.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 11:57 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=TOSNdmSvhaU#!

Great video with old creator and new creator discussing the game. The talk about how much you can immerse yourself into the lives of those living in your city is awesome. I'm getting more and more pumped.

Jeddy, I'm assuming that Petrol Bay is one of the bays (genius I know) and Grand Haven is the middle island.

Personally I'd love to make a city with a booming economy (Petrol Bay or Trader's Ridge jump out at me), or, as I said, a Vegas-style tourist trap (Soiree Sands and Summit Vista look great for that).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=TOSNdmSvhaU#!

Great video with old creator and new creator discussing the game. The talk about how much you can immerse yourself into the lives of those living in your city is awesome. I'm getting more and more pumped.

Jeddy, I'm assuming that Petrol Bay is one of the bays (genius I know) and Grand Haven is the middle island.

Personally I'd love to make a city with a booming economy (Petrol Bay or Trader's Ridge jump out at me), or, as I said, a Vegas-style tourist trap (Soiree Sands and Summit Vista look great for that).
I'm so excited now you have no idea!

This is exactly what I LOVE when I play strategy games! the realistic complexity and how it is all interconnected .. very awesome!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 12:44 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Plus, the Ubran Planning / Skyscraper loving geeks in us are getting to live our dream. City building.

I did some looking at the map, and I think its safe to say these are the 7 sites for cities. I based this off of where the highway / traintracks (the yellow and white lines) have abrupt ends. We know that not all cities are necessarily connected to both, so only one needs to exist. The sites sort of coincide with the descriptions on IGNs website, but some of them were my best guesses.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4...tollregion.png

Trader's Ridge, Petrol Bay or Soiree Sands are definitely my top 3 locations. I'm really looking forward to diving into a region with you all (assuming of course this is the region we choose. I'll play any )

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 1:12 AM

there's already a deluze edition coming out!? lol I'd love to make a european style city

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXspSHoDOXg

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 1:28 AM

Deluxe edition coming out just three days after the main version? Nice

Also: I'm too stoked for this. I hope the maps are decently sized, I've always tried to add some realism to my cities by having more suburban, rural-styled residential on the fringes leading in to a denser, more urban center. Imagine driving down Thurburn Road from the ORR exit to near Seaborn. I'd be a little disappointed if the maps were to small to do these fun things.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 1:42 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
From what little I've read on forums, it seems die-hard fans of SC4 are actually very much opposed to the change, with many refusing to buy the game.
As an avid fan of SC4 (and slightly part of that community) I will confirm that we have no interest in buying the new SC. We didn't really want a Sims and Farmville hybrid, which is essentially what the new SC is.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 1:45 AM

well personally I think i'm gonna love it

What I disliked about the older sim citys is that I would get bored because the interaction seemed to computer generated and pretty much every city ended up very very similar and the people were just a graphic. BUT people have different preferences and I think the small maps are going to be a bit irritating but thats ok. Another game I love because of how everything is realistically connected is the settlers and stronghold etc. so it's right up my alley

PS I love SC4 too so I'm excited

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 1:51 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I want the mountainous one so I can pretend it's Alberta!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 1:52 AM

I'm a little nervous I won't like it, I'm afraid it'll be too much like SimSocieties, but I'll try and be hopeful. If anything, at least I'll have the chance to play online with you guys which should help keep things interesting.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 1:58 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
What I disliked about the older sim citys is that I would get bored because the interaction seemed to computer generated and pretty much every city ended up very very similar
That's why you start downloading mods and user-created buildings and lots.

In fact, there is a Toronto/Ontario BAT team just created a few weeks ago who are making Toronto buildings for SC4.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's