HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslue View Post
Anyone else noticed Quiznos is closed on Kenmount rd. Not sure how long ago this happened. Little sad none are left in the city now.
Quiznos and Extreme Pita both kind of went boom/bust here for whatever reason..

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Quiznos and Extreme Pita both kind of went boom/bust here for whatever reason..
Quiznos went boom bust everywhere. They had over 5000 stores at their peak, now down to less than 800.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1983 View Post
Quiznos went boom bust everywhere. They had over 5000 stores at their peak, now down to less than 800.
There's one in the North Atlantic on the Highway at Clarenville.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 12:47 AM

Looks like Barry's Bistro in Hotel Mount Pearl (not certain if I got the name of either business right) is closed. I guess that's what it means when your sign has been flipped around. Can any restaurant be successful in that location?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 4:33 AM

On a side note...
https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...-night-391875/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisisnf View Post
Looks like Barry's Bistro in Hotel Mount Pearl (not certain if I got the name of either business right) is closed. I guess that's what it means when your sign has been flipped around. Can any restaurant be successful in that location?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Further to the previous side note...
https://vocm.com/2019/12/28/hotel-mo...royed-by-fire/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 9:06 PM

Looks like Granite is closing their doors as per a FB post.

Quote:
To Our Valued Customers:

The owners of Granite Bar & Restaurant have decided to close their doors effective January 1, 2020.

Due to escalating costs and a some what poor economy, Granite just simply couldn't survive.

We will be having a final good-bye to Granite this Saturday January 4, 2020 from 6pm until 1am with a limited discounted menu and Discounted Bar for anyone who would like to drop in. We also will be having Larry Foley and the 8 Track Favorites Trio playing from 9pm until midnight.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support over the past 5 years and wish everyone the best in the future.

Granite Management & Staff.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 1:04 PM

New owner looks to revitalize Woodstock restaurant

https://www.thetelegram.com/business...aurant-392871/

I haven't been there in many years, but you can say the place is a bit dated.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:24 PM

Rumpelstiltskins, Portebellos and now Granite. This area of Duckworth St. is struggling a little for restaurants it seems, unless your Bannerman Brewery. Oceanside recently opened in the Marriott too, I’ve gone there for lunch but now there is a sign outside saying they open at 4.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:55 PM

Vu recently opened where Portebellos used to be. Had dinner there before Christmas and really like it. Great food, great view, reasonable prices.

http://vustjohns.ca/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Rumpelstiltskins, Portebellos and now Granite. This area of Duckworth St. is struggling a little for restaurants it seems, unless your Bannerman Brewery. Oceanside recently opened in the Marriott too, I’ve gone there for lunch but now there is a sign outside saying they open at 4.
I faintly remember reading on here that the Quality Inn was being converted to a Hilton DoubleTree. Is that the reason why Rumpelstiltskins closed? Not sure if DoubleTree would have it's own onsite restaurant instead.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:24 PM

I saw a post on twitter that Booster Juice in Atlantic Place is closed (again). That only leaves Jumping Bean left in there.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:03 AM

Is Subway reopening on Topsail Road in Paradise?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:40 PM

85 Duckworth Street (the former Crazy Horse Club) across the street from Bannerman Brewing Co. is being turned into "Brewdock", which is a bar and restaurant which will specialize in serving craft beer. Since they are not a brewery, they will have rotating taps/bottles/casks of local and non-local craft beer. Very similar to places like Stillwell and Battery Park in Halifax, or Bar Volo in Toronto.

I've been waiting for a loooong time for something like this to pop up here. NLC must have finally relaxed their strangle hold on what beer can (and can't) be sold here.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

First post on the St. John's subforum since the blizzard. Life is getting back to normal.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 1:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
85 Duckworth Street (the former Crazy Horse Club) across the street from Bannerman Brewing Co. is being turned into "Brewdock", which is a bar and restaurant which will specialize in serving craft beer. Since they are not a brewery, they will have rotating taps/bottles/casks of local and non-local craft beer. Very similar to places like Stillwell and Battery Park in Halifax, or Bar Volo in Toronto.

I've been waiting for a loooong time for something like this to pop up here. NLC must have finally relaxed their strangle hold on what beer can (and can't) be sold here.
Sounds good. Any place that offers a real choice of beers rather than just the stale national brands is something I'll have to check out.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:21 AM

Not sure if right thread or not but:

Mount Pearl approves Cineplex liquor licence, NLC has final say

https://www.thetelegram.com/business...htzrI.facebook

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Not sure if right thread or not but:

Mount Pearl approves Cineplex liquor licence, NLC has final say

https://www.thetelegram.com/business...htzrI.facebook
It's nice to have options - provided people are responsible enough to not drink and drive. But given the current prices of concessions at Cineplex, I can only imagine how much a beer would cost......

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:01 PM

The Torbakery, a new bakery and coffee shop, has opened in Torbay.

Quote:
There will be a variety of breads, focaccia, and sweets to start, and Coffee from Gros Morne Coffee Co. More products will be added as we go. Some have requesting a menu. We don't have formal menu. We have a variety of yeasted and sourdough breads, a variety of focaccia which are italian flatbreads with toppings, and a variety of sweets. The selection varies a little each day.
Very nice looking building. Location isn't bad either if I'm honest, it's both on the main road but not, so unlike getting into the torbay post office or trad. coffee house, you can actually get off torbay road before looking for a spot to park. Which should make things easier for both customers and through traffic on Torbay Rd. when they're busy.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
The Torbakery, a new bakery and coffee shop, has opened in Torbay.

Very nice looking building. Location isn't bad either if I'm honest, it's both on the main road but not, so unlike getting into the torbay post office or trad. coffee house, you can actually get off torbay road before looking for a spot to park. Which should make things easier for both customers and through traffic on Torbay Rd. when they're busy.

Saw the new Torbakery yesterday and it looks awesome! Very much a heritage feel to it, and it is in a great location, especially with the beautiful view of the Torbay harbour in the background. I haven’t been there yet, but a friend has, and she said their products are great; she bought bread and loved it. Will have to check this out. 👍

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's