HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I want to try all of the different restaurants as well. Matty and I were doing that for a while but then we realized we were kicking ourselves right in the finances and slowed down on eating at anything classier than a Wendy's.

The only things I can honestly say I've tried to death and simply do not like, in any form, are sushi and marmalade. I even had teriyaki chicken sushi and still THAT had the same disgusting taste as all the rest. I think it must be the rice or the vinegar I hate... I can't tell. But it's something that's common in all sushi I've ever tried.

Also, forgot one: cilantro. I have whatever gene that is that makes it taste like soap. And I hate that people use it since, apparently, for people who can taste it properly, it's not that different from basil. Just use basil. Stop ruining food.

Some curries I can't eat because of the cilantro.
Have to agree with you on the Cilantro! Does the same to me and no matter how small amount I can taste it right off the bat!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 5:02 PM

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Lo...83285741743153

Quote:
So I was still trying to complete the power hook up that the city is forcing me to install and waiting on contractors. The Long Dick's Trailer was parked on the new location which the which I have had to pay the entire years lease on even though I am unable to operate because of the elaborate power system the city is forcing me to install. Last week with the snow storm they burried my trailer in.... At the same time they told me they wanted me to move a couple of spaces down so they could tear down the old building next to my spot. This by the way was supposed to have been done months ago. I told them I couldn't move them as the snow had me blocked in. Now the city has taken it upon themselves to tow my trailer and impound it in the middle of the night! The trailer was not prepared to be moved over any distance as appliances were not secured for travel. I can only imagine the damage incurred!!! This city has systematically done everything it can to hinder and disrupt my business!!!
You have to give this guy credit for his perseverance.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 5:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Good for him. He has one of the finer food carts in downtown St. John's. The city should be scrambling to have people like him serving locals and tourists.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 5:14 PM

agree and now he has a huge amount of free publicity as well! I was at the Jeff dunham show last week on Wednesday and he found the cart on his way back to the hotel the night before and took a picture and put it into his show permantly!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 5:31 PM

I wish that guy the best! He has amazing hot dogs! The best i've tasted here in the city (well, anywhere actually. but I'm not a worldwide hot-dog sampler..) and he really is a nice guy. If any of you guys haven't tried it, I really recommend it! Excellent food!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 6:53 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I haven't tried one yet, but I'll keep it in mind.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I haven't tried one yet, but I'll keep it in mind.
Hopefully the city doesn't have him shut down before you get a chance.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 7:56 PM

Funny.. I just jumped on here to post the same thing.

Is it seriously the name thing that has the city out to get him.. Or.. Is it some off the record lobbying from the folks who own Ziggy's and Winky's, as they have pretty much been the only two downtown for decades and don't want the competition?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 8:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We have a town called Dildo that has a campground called Spread Eagle which is near a land formation called Dildo Head. Their mascot is Captain Dildo, their summer festival is "Dildo Days: Fun for the Whole Family!" and their traditional treat is Dildo Sticky Puddin'.

Long Dick's Sausage Emporium is fine.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:30 PM

I wasn't a big fan, especially for the price. I paid nearly $10.00 for a hot dog and a bottle of water! I had a hotdog from just a regular vendor at the regatta and found it better.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 10:10 PM

What is up with the city and trying to disrupt these poor people? Remember the guys who wanted to set up the falafel cart? They never got any satisfaction from the city and just works out of the sprout after hours now.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 10:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Don't be fooled by his friendly little smile. Ziggy Peelgood has friends in high places and he's not afraid to use them.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
We have a town called Dildo that has a campground called Spread Eagle which is near a land formation called Dildo Head. Their mascot is Captain Dildo, their summer festival is "Dildo Days: Fun for the Whole Family!" and their traditional treat is Dildo Sticky Puddin'.

There's no way that wasn't intentional!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:

I heard that the high-school's mascot is named "Woody", but could have just been someone dickin' around

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 12:34 PM

City tows Long Dick’s food trailer

Source: The Telegram
Date: Jan 18, 2013
Author: Daniel MacEachern

Quote:
Food vendor Steve Smith says he’s considering legal action after his trailer was towed by the City of St. John’s.
Smith, the owner of Long Dick’s Sausage Emporium, has been battling with Newfoundland Power and St. John’s city council since setting up last spring over his temporary location and over power regulations.
September saw council approve a permanent spot for Long Dick’s on New Gower Street, but trouble arose, said Smith, when he was asked to move a few spaces away to make it easier for an old building to be torn down, just before last week’s snowstorm hit.
Snowplows clearing the roads boxed in his trailer with a high ridge of snow, which then hardened into ice, said Smith.
“I’d gone back to them and said, ‘Look, I’d love to comply with you and move this temporarily. I’m trying to work with you. I don’t want to rock the boat,’” he told The Telegram. “But I said, ‘I can’t get out of here. The snow’s got me buried.’”
Smith said he had to use an axe and a steel shovel just to clear enough snow to open the trailer door, but says his requests for more time or assistance from the city were not heard.
A representative from public works told him the city had to treat his trailer as it would a vehicle — which it isn’t, said Smith.
“I lease the spot from the city. Sure, I’m operating there, but the city has deliberately blocked me in, the plows. I said, you’re going to have to come clear around me, it’s as simple as that. I can’t get out of there.”
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...food-trailer/1

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 12:37 PM

This was on VOCM too, so at least this guy is getting some publicity. It is shameful for the city to be treating someone like this who is just trying to do something as simple as set up a food truck. I for one, would love to see more of these. If the city doesn't want them all over our streets, they should be looking into providing a space where they can collectively set up.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post

This was on VOCM too, so at least this guy is getting some publicity. It is shameful for the city to be treating someone like this who is just trying to do something as simple as set up a food truck. I for one, would love to see more of these. If the city doesn't want them all over our streets, they should be looking into providing a space where they can collectively set up.
The city seems to be putting in a lot of effort to stymie his operation. I wonder what big wig at city hall he pissed off to deserve this treatment?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
The city seems to be putting in a lot of effort to stymie his operation. I wonder what big wig at city hall he pissed off to deserve this treatment?
I always thought it might have something to do with the name. Guaranteed there are multiple complaints coming in from people who are afraid to have their precious little children reading the word "Dick".

"Mommy, what's a long dick?"

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 12:48 AM

Kevin Hart comes to mind every time I drive past his truck.

Sorry guys, just had to...

Warning: NWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3mB6tys2TE

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 9:07 PM

So I just got back from buying a second fridge at the old Mexicalis. And found out from the owner of the building it's now rented out. The works are moving innandwillnbe open by the beginning of may woo hoo!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's