HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:24 PM

Post Economic News Affecting St. John's

Here's a place to post about our economy as well as the many many mega projects happening around the province, which will affect the economy of the capital.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:27 PM

ow ow .. look at us go!

and look at the predicted job creation numbers and those numbers are just from what activity is KNOWN

Employment at all time high in the Province

Quote:
Employment in Newfoundland and Labrador has grown to record highs, and there are more people working in the province than at any other time in our history. That's according to Dan Crummell, the MHA for St. John's West and recently-appointed parliamentary secretary in the department of Advanced Education and Skills. Crummell told VOCM Open Line with Bill Rowe that the government expects there will be 70-thousand job openings between now and 2020. They've created a document called Outlook 2020, which is available online, that outlines job prospects in the province in the coming years.
Crummell says they will need people from all different skill sets to fill the jobs.
You can view the document here: http://www.aes.gov.nl.ca/publications/LMOutlook2020.pdf
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...29728&latest=1

BY THE WAYYYY 2020 is in only 7 years!! not bad!! not bad! for a place where for the past I dunno good 50 years we have been losing jobs .. to get an average of 10,000 CREATED per year (the 70,000 on average spread out over the 7 years to 2020)

now remember that unemplyment rate here doesn't necesarily mean lack of jobs .. due to much seasonal work outside the city. (also MANY people work under the table AND collect EI .. which I DO NOT agree with but unfortunately it happens and happens often)

(RE POSTED)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:28 PM

This will obviously have an impact on us as well, due to the probability that these companies' offices will most likely be in the city.

Holyrood & Ocean Technology

Quote:
The town of Holyrood wants to get into the business of ocean technology. And $500-thousand in funding by both the federal and provincial government aims to make that happen. Barry Snow is Holyrood's new director of ocean's; his job -- to create a strategic plan to attract ocean technology industries to set up shop in the town. Snow says a list of potential candidates has already been compiled with the local industry having already reached out to the town. Snow says it would be developmental technology companies that need a place to research, develop their products and test them at sea. The new job is unique from a municipal perspective. Snow says the town will be working closely with the Marine Institute's Holyrood base.
http://www.vocm.com/news.asp?mn=2

(RE POSTED)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:48 PM

New rebar-making site opens in Seal Cove
Quote:

Harris Rebar officially opened a new fabrication yard in Seal Cove on Tuesday.

Their original site was in Mount Pearl, but the company said there was no room there for growth. At the new location, they have nearly doubled their work space.

Basil Maclean, the company's area manager, says the new site will help increase production.

"We were stale where we were. There was nothing happening and there was no growth potential," Maclean said. "And if you're looking at bidding on big work, the question was always, 'How are we going to do it?'"

He also said the new $2.5-million site should help boost worker morale.

"You give them good quality equipment to work with and they have pride in that," Maclean said.

Daniel Guy, a Harris Rebar employee, said the new gear is much appreciated.

"Good new machinery, so we should be able to do a lot of steel," Guy said.

Rebar is used in the construction of bridges and buildings, and a lot has been used by Vale in Long Harbour.

With the increase of production capacity, the company is hoping to get in on even bigger projects, such as Muskrat Falls.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ation-108.html

I'm sure many will be locating in Glancrest as well when they have outgrown their site

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:47 PM

Alderon to spend $1.27B to start Kami mine

J_Murphy posted this on the main projects thread, I decided to re-post here as well. Great idea starting a major project announcements thread, Jeddy!

Source: The Telegram
Date: Jan 9, 2012
Author: Ashley Fitzpatrick

Quote:
Alderon Iron Ore Corp. is expecting to spend $1.27 billion to get its Kami mine project up and running.

The company released the results of its feasibility study for the project this morning, including the total cost and other key figures for the development.
Construction is set to start by year-end.

If construction and start-up comes in on time, the project will be up and running by the end of 2015, according to the study.
The mine has been designed to produce eight million tonnes of iron ore concentrate a year, at 65.2 per cent iron. It has an estimated life of 30 years - longer than initially expected.

“The study demonstrates robust economics on the Kami Property and the results meet all of the threshold criteria under our agreements with (partner) Hebei (Iron and Steel). Our schedule anticipates receipt of permits toward the end of 2013 and construction to follow immediately, with initial production in the fourth quarter of 2015,” said Alderon president and CEO Tayfun Eldem.
The study — providing a more specific definition for the project compared to the earlier preliminary economic assessment - was completed by BBA Inc. out of Montreal; Stantec Consulting in St. John’s; and Watts, Griffis and McOuat Ltd. of Toronto.

The Kami project site is about 10 kilometres from Wabush and six kilometres South of Cliffs Natural Resources’ Wabush Mines.

“Nalcor will provide power directly to the Kami site main substation by means of a 315 kV transmission line,” the company states....
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...rt-Kami-mine/1

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:50 PM

I also decide to re-post this one I put up earlier (just for consistency sake...)

Source: The Telegram
Date: Jan 9, 2013
Author:Ashley Fitzpatrick

Quote:
Rep says majority of resumes for Long Harbour are from workers based in N.L.

Vale is looking to fill long-term jobs for the operation of its new nickel-processing plant in Long Harbour.

Coming out of construction over the next nine months, the mining company expects to have first nickel from the plant in the fourth quarter of this year.
There are an estimated 500 long-term jobs for the operation of the plant and about 350 people are expected to be hired by the end of the year.
The jobs include about 300 “technician” positions, advertised throughout the fall of 2012.
“We’ve had quite a significant response,” said Bob Carter, a spokesman for Vale in Newfoundland and Labrador, in a recent interview with The Telegram.
Carter said the call for applications for the jobs has led to upwards of a couple thousand submissions, the vast majority being people from this province.

The applications are being assessed and a first round of offers, though not the last, will be going out before the end of the month.
Carter said some of the applications submitted mistook the positions as construction jobs, rather than maintenance and the oversight of plant processes.

However, even after sorting out inappropriate submissions, he said, there is real competition for the plant jobs. Interviews and testing are meant to give recruiters a better sense of who is best suited to the positions.
“It’s quite a rigorous process that they’re using,” Carter said, noting both aptitude and attitude are being taken into account.

There are certain other factors being considered in the hiring.....
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...ongterm-jobs/1

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Don't forget our only slightly outdated HUGE announcements.

7 billion+ Muskrat Falls Hydroelectric Facility with transmission line through Labrador, Newfoundland, and the Maritimes.

14 billion+ Hebron oil field announcement.

Great article from Atlantic Business Magazine:

http://www.atlanticbusinessmagazine....eaking-ground/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Don't forget our only slightly outdated HUGE announcements.

7 billion+ Muskrat Falls Hydroelectric Facility with transmission line through Labrador, Newfoundland, and the Maritimes.

14 billion+ Hebron oil field announcement.

Great article from Atlantic Business Magazine:

http://www.atlanticbusinessmagazine....eaking-ground/
LOL... how could I forgot those???

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Record real estate year in St. John's:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...-20130109.html

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:55 PM

Deer Lake Airport Reports Record Traffic

Quote:
The Deer Lake Regional Airport has recorded an all-time high for passenger traffic. The airport authority says there were 306,071 passengers last year, surpassing the previous record of almost 294,000. The authority says the record-setting summer traffic helped the airport exceed the 300,000 passenger level for the first time in the airport's history. The airport is now the fourth busiest in Atlantic Canada behind Halifax, St. John's and Moncton.

President and CEO Jamie Schwartz attributes the record to increased capacity and airline support with major carriers serving the market, including Air Canada, Provincial Airlines, WestJet and Sunwing.
Another record broken.

Kudos to Deer Lake for becoming the 4th busiest airport in Atlantic Canada!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Fourth? That's awesome! Share it in the airport thread!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Fourth? That's awesome! Share it in the airport thread!
Yup...I think their investment in expanding the runway and upgrading the terminal is really paying off.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I wouldn't get into it over there (must be a gracious guest, ha!), but wow... check out the sense of entitlement in this thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...wpost&t=197183

Chatting with a friend from here on FB, he said it best, "Get your own damn economy." lol

Irritates me a little bit because, as the papers were saying last summer, Harper has effectively turned Newfoundland back into a colony - and not of Ottawa, but of Halifax. Everything has been consolidated there. It's a painful reminder of what happened after (and, it turns out, the reasons why) we were pushed into Canada.

The idea that... why would anyone waste the boom from Newfoundland's resources on St. John's? Surely they can manage this business out of Halifax?... is a tone set in that era.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 2:23 PM

Awesome awesome!

Record year for St. John's real estate market

Quote:
2012 proved to be a record year for real estate in St. John's.

Royal LePage released a national report on housing prices this week, and it shows the St. John's market doing almost twice as well as the Canadian average.

Royal LePage agent Glenn Larkin says 2012 was a banner year for the St. John's real estate market. (CBC)
According to the report, the average price for a detached bungalow in the region increased 5.6 per cent last year, while standard two-storey homes rose 6.9 per cent.

Royal LePage agent Glenn Larkin said that 2012 saw more than a billion dollars in real estate sales.

Larkin said condominiums in particular are booming, with the average price of a condo unit jumping 7.7 per cent last year.

Larkin added that condos are affordable for many groups, such as those retiring, first-time home buyers and young professionals.

In other cities in Canada, a glut of condos is being blamed for a real estate bubble.

"The big difference is just sheer numbers," said Larkin. "We probably have 25 condo buildings, with the biggest one having about 80 units. In Toronto they have one building with a thousand units."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...-20130109.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 2:27 PM

more on the mine near lab city

Alderon ready to start new iron ore mine in Labrador

Quote:
Alderon Iron Ore says it hopes to start construction on a new mine just outside Labrador City later this year.

Alderon Iron Ore says it's getting ready to open a new iron ore mine near Labrador City, in western Labrador. (CBC)
In a conference call on Wednesday, Alderon president and CEO Tayfun Eldem said a feasibility study on the Rose deposit of the Kamistiatusset (Kami) property conducted by the company indicated that the property has proven iron ore resources.

With demand for the product and financing in place, Eldem said the company can proceed with a plan to start up the new mine.

Mine construction should start in November
Eldem said he expects the environmental assessment for the mine to be released by October, and permits in place by November. With that in mind, Eldem said the company is ready to start preliminary work.

"We will be preparing for construction by ordering long lead items as well as erecting our construction camp," Eldem said on the conference call. "These will pave the way for us to start construction in November 2013."

The mine project will employ 800 workers during its construction phase, and close to 500 workers when the mine starts operation in 2015. The initial plan is for the mine to produce 8-million tonnes of iron ore concentrate annually.

Eldem said the mine has an estimated lifespan of 30 years.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...-mine-109.html

That is very soon actually

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 12:25 PM

Kepp the good times coming!

Developing Potash in Newfoundland
Quote:
Potash, long a major mining staple on the Prairies, could soon be the basis for a major mining project in Newfoundland. Potash is big business on the world market for Saskatchewan and, to a lesser extent, New Brunswick; now, a significant exploration program will be carried out for Potash south of Stephenville in the Bay St. George area. Red Moon Potash was formed to carry out the work. It's a new division of Vulcan Minerals, which owns about 60 per cent of the company. President Patrick Laracy says a potash discovery was made in that area a couple of years ago, and Red Moon planned to spend upwards of 5-million dollars over the next couple of years exploring that property
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...29847&latest=1

Come on with all the major projects happening how are we not the same size or larger than Halifax .. It's a bit ridiculous .. just have to continue growing and developing in a smart and competitive way

As politicians have said .. "Have not will be no more"

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Another record broken.

Kudos to Deer Lake for becoming the 4th busiest airport in Atlantic Canada!
This is great news for Deer Lake.

One thing I don't understand though is why there is also an airport in Stephenville? I know the history of the American Base being situated there, but is there really a need for a second airport just an hour away?

No doubt the airport provides jobs to the town, but looking at the bigger regional picture wouldn't it make more sense to have the one in Deer Lake and make that a larger hub? Federal and Provincial funding would be better served going into one rather than two competing airports within 100km of each other.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 5:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Check out Trevor3's post in the Atlantic Canada Airports thread.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
This is great news for Deer Lake.

One thing I don't understand though is why there is also an airport in Stephenville? I know the history of the American Base being situated there, but is there really a need for a second airport just an hour away?

No doubt the airport provides jobs to the town, but looking at the bigger regional picture wouldn't it make more sense to have the one in Deer Lake and make that a larger hub? Federal and Provincial funding would be better served going into one rather than two competing airports within 100km of each other.
I thought the same thing. Also, the Deer Lake airport is much better situated to serve the west coast, northern peninsula and part of central (west of GFW). Although, with all the oil/gas and mineral exploration work going on near Stephenville, that might help to make it feasible in the future.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 12:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Another hurdle cleared.

Thank you, Nova Scotia!

A study conducted for the Nova Scotia government to be released Thursday concludes that the Muskrat Falls hydroelectric project in Labrador is the cheapest option to meet the province's future energy needs, senior government officials say.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ls-review.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's