HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Been hearing rumours of another potential big box leaving Stavanger Drive. Someone mentioned yesterday that Best Buy are going west to Galway also. Anyone else hear anything about this. Or just a load of balony?
Haven't heard it but wouldn't be surprised!
Glad to see this in the rumour section. I'm all about organization.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Haven't heard it but wouldn't be surprised!
Glad to see this in the rumour section. I'm all about organization.
I was speaking to a Best Buy staff member before Christmas and he said that they don't notice any change in sales with Costco gone from the area. He said in fact tv sales are up, he was thinking because of less competition in the area. He said that they were told after Costco left that they were staying put, and they have not been told or heard anything different. In the meantime, I question the future of all of these big box electronics stores.

Also, one of the mangers at Old Navy told me that the new store in the Avalon will be a combo store and will be smaller with a more limited selection than their current store. This is common for mall locations apparently. She said the store on Stavanger will be running the one in the mall.

Anyone hear anything new re the Avalon Mall? There is still a lot of space to fill there in the new section. I am loving the new mall!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Been hearing rumours of another potential big box leaving Stavanger Drive. Someone mentioned yesterday that Best Buy are going west to Galway also. Anyone else hear anything about this. Or just a load of balony?
That was going around around the time Costco moved. There were a flurry of rumors about stores leaving Stavanger and following Costco to Galway.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:52 PM

With all the Village Mall talk. Here is a rumor I heard before Christmas that I though was to crazy to post and maybe it is. I was approached by a few people asking if I heard that DewCore(D Williams)was in the process of buying the Village Mall and converting it into a hockey rink. While outlandish at the thought maybe its not that far fetched.

The building could be easily converted. Most tenants would probably like to re-locate. Home hardware would likely not be affected. It is centrally located on bus routes with ample parking. Talk is they would be pursuing another franchise of some sort that would not have to be bound by the City with leasing etc..there always seems to be a need for more ice time in the city and this could help alleviate some of that.

Let the rumor mill roll....

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_1 View Post
With all the Village Mall talk. Here is a rumor I heard before Christmas that I though was to crazy to post and maybe it is. I was approached by a few people asking if I heard that DewCore(D Williams)was in the process of buying the Village Mall and converting it into a hockey rink. While outlandish at the thought maybe its not that far fetched.

The building could be easily converted. Most tenants would probably like to re-locate. Home hardware would likely not be affected. It is centrally located on bus routes with ample parking. Talk is they would be pursuing another franchise of some sort that would not have to be bound by the City with leasing etc..there always seems to be a need for more ice time in the city and this could help alleviate some of that.

Quite the rumour.

Danny buying out a shopping center to get stores to relocate to Galway seems somewhat believable.

But converting to The Village Mall to an ice rink seems kind of bizzare to me. The only thing that would make sense to me is to put the rink in the center but at least keep some retail around it. Either that or convert the whole thing it a rec center.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:

Heard that rumor a couple of weeks ago. A name also involved with DewCore was a recently retired local basketball player. My understanding is it would be in the concept as shown here https://www.ice-world.com/attract-mo...shopping-mall/ . It seems a little far fetched but I guess if the rec room can work, something like this might too. But if the mall was to become a sports minded retail facility, then it should follow that Sportschek would stay put rather than the rumors that it's leaving the Village. Certainly an interesting idea.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 2:00 PM

Quote:

I kind of like this idea. It could be converted to a multi-purpose recreational facility. With the weather around here, we could certainly use more indoor recreational space.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I kind of like this idea. It could be converted to a multi-purpose recreational facility. With the weather around here, we could certainly use more indoor recreational space.
The "Danny buying the Village" is coming up everywhere from multiple sources today. Maybe there is some truth to it after all. Time will tell I guess.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
The "Danny buying the Village" is coming up everywhere from multiple sources today. Maybe there is some truth to it after all. Time will tell I guess.
The way the Village mall is trending, I figure we'll be hearing about Bed, Bath, and Beyond moving sometime in the near future.

It would be cool to convert the Village into some indoor recreation facility. Maybe an indoor theme park? Not sure how feasible that would be though. How about a bio-dome. It'd be like a micro subtropical climate. That'd be awesome!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 4:31 PM

Where are people hearing this rumor? Any truth to it I wonder?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslue View Post
Go to any retirees gathering at A & W or Tim Hortons, usually on a Thursday or Friday morning, and you will hear no end to the rumours!
1 or 2 new ones every week. They are self-propagating ;-)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslue View Post
I often suspect that people hear rumors here and then they spread like wildfire elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:21 AM
Aspiring Urban Planner

Question Michaels craft store in Galway?

A friend of mine told me they have a job setting up a Michaels store in Galway, has anyone here heard of the Michaels on Stavanger moving? I feel like NL's population isn't big enough for two stores.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanvista View Post
A friend of mine told me they have a job setting up a Michaels store in Galway, has anyone here heard of the Michaels on Stavanger moving? I feel like NL's population isn't big enough for two stores.
Maybe a good idea to read the Galway thread.. this has been discussed
https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=525

Ron.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the forum!

Not everyone here is crotchety. Most are good humoured.
If you want to catch up, there is a last page tab on each main thread.

https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=700

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! I'm guessing you were the person asking about the Galway Michaels on reddit. It is indeed a second store. I'm a regular Michaels shopper and the current store is pretty busy particularly in the months before Christmas and on weekends.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 4:48 AM

New Minor League Baseball Team On The Way To St. John’s???

Last edited by Ryanbutler1977; May 9, 2020 at 6:34 PM. Reason: .

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbutler1977 View Post
Not sure if any of you heard, but I have a reliable source out of Galway that was saying that Danny Williams is inquiring with the Toronto Blue Jays and the MiLB about possibly moving the New Hampshire Fisher Cats AA level baseball team to St. John’s for the 2022 season. Currently in talks of either expanding the current St. Pat’s Ballpark or Smallwood Park to reach the requirements, or starting fresh in Galway. I assume they build a new field in the Galway area since both St. Pat’s and Smallwood do not have ample space to work with for such a project. Crazy to think we might have three semi-pro sports teams on the island!
Pretty skeptical tbh. Just google the league and look at the stadiums they are playing in. It would probably cost Danny minimum of $20M to build a sufficient stadium.

There is also the issue of our spring weather...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 2:36 PM

There's also the issue of baseball just not being that popular. Looks like the Cats are averaging around 4700 people in attendance, there's no way we beat that.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Pretty skeptical tbh. Just google the league and look at the stadiums they are playing in. It would probably cost Danny minimum of $20M to build a sufficient stadium.

There is also the issue of our spring weather...
Danny would probably try to talk the city into building a stadium.

Ron.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's