HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 3:09 AM

Wink Development Rumours

Feel free to discuss any possible development rumours for the St. John's area!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 3:28 AM

Right now we have quite a few development rumours circulating! I'll kick it off with a list of the most exciting!

"Proposal 23": This is the most exciting rumour to ever be circulated in this city! It involves the demolition of the Bowrings Downtown Center on Water Street. Is said to include 3 buildings. A 13 story residential tower, a 6 story shopping complex and most exciting.. a 23 story office tower! It is rumoured to be made public late February, 2013.

Atlantic Place Parking Garage: in late December, 2012, the mayor mentioned exciting development(s) to the St. John's waterfront to be announced early 2013 that will revolve around "the Garage" Many have assumed that to be the Atlantic Place garage. It is rumoured that Groupe Germain will be building a hotel on top of the garage. There is not much credibility to this rumour, just speculation but that is why we call them rumours! Info to be released regarding this development Early 2013, according to the mayor

Fortis Proposal Revival: In 2010, Fortis proposed a 15 story office tower to be built adjacent to the old fortis building on water street. the proposal was withdrawn due to public outcry. The proposal rumoured to be revived in Fall 2013

New Delta Tower: A rumoured extension/addition to the Delta Hotel. not much info on this one..

Discuss!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 3:33 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Excellent idea for a thread !

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:14 AM

Haha, I thought of it a while ago, but I didn't think it would get much action. Now seeing how that's all we've talked about, now is a good time for it! Especially since we've got our own section now

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Right now we have quite a few development rumours circulating! I'll kick it off with a list of the most exciting!

"Proposal 23": This is the most exciting rumour to ever be circulated in this city! It involves the demolition of the Bowrings Downtown Center on Water Street. Is said to include 3 buildings. A 13 story residential tower, a 6 story shopping complex and most exciting.. a 23 story office tower! It is rumoured to be made public late February, 2013.

Atlantic Place Parking Garage: in late December, 2012, the mayor mentioned exciting development(s) to the St. John's waterfront to be announced early 2013 that will revolve around "the Garage" Many have assumed that to be the Atlantic Place garage. It is rumoured that Groupe Germain will be building a hotel on top of the garage. There is not much credibility to this rumour, just speculation but that is why we call them rumours! Info to be released regarding this development Early 2013, according to the mayor

Fortis Proposal Revival: In 2010, Fortis proposed a 15 story office tower to be built adjacent to the old fortis building on water street. the proposal was withdrawn due to public outcry. The proposal rumoured to be revived in Fall 2013

New Delta Tower: A rumoured extension/addition to the Delta Hotel. not much info on this one..

Discuss!
the rumor about the hotel on top of the parking garage is true. I have a friend who works in the engineering department at the and was let know that this is indeed true and going ahead! Amazing the red tape you can get around when the city owns the building LOL

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 12:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

AAAHHH!!! Thank you for sharing that with us, J.A.I.L.! Fantastic news.

*Cough*

Now... it better be beautiful.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 12:34 PM

I'm excited! and this one will definitely be hottly debated strongly by both sides .. because of the views vs the ugly garage

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 12:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Regarding the Fortis Proposal...

Fortis is the St. John's company. I want them to have a landmark building. If the proposal is revised and a more attractive second tower proposed... I'm willing to at least consider one in that area.

TD Place and the old Fortis Building aren't going anywhere soon. It looks a little ridiculous to have just those two buildings there. We need an odd number of towers in that cluster. Whether it's a second Fortis Tower, or something significant on the vacant lot across Job's Cove, I don't know...

One thing I will insist upon: REAL heritage fascades on Water Street. Not cheap, modern immitations (like the Bowring Downtown Centre, and the original proposal from Fortis). Keep those and I'm very open to increased height in this specific example.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 12:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I'm excited! and this one will definitely be hottly debated strongly by both sides .. because of the views vs the ugly garage
I will be very disappointed if private views win out over beautification. I don't view the "DT rubber boot crowd" the way most on this forum do. They're my peeps, yo, ha... and I have faith that they're open to compromise and that doing something with that parkade will encounter far less opposition than we think. Still some, and quite passionate... but not civil unrest.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 12:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It makes me angry just thinking about our city being saddled with the Bowring Downtown Centre and the Atlantic Place Parkade because of heritage or view-related opposition.

That, to me, is ridiculous.

We have to protect the entirety of our rowhouse district and every single heritage fascade in our CBD but, beyond that, we have to modernize our relatively modern eyesores.

Opposing projects for Bowring's and the parkade, to me, is as wrong as opposing a reclad of Scotia Place for the same reasons.

Just imagine that mess looking like ANYTHING else:

It'd be a HUGE step up!

And Atlantic Place wouldn't look as offensive next to something nicer.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.I.L. View Post
the rumor about the hotel on top of the parking garage is true. I have a friend who works in the engineering department at the and was let know that this is indeed true and going ahead! Amazing the red tape you can get around when the city owns the building LOL
Ya i hope it does look nice! I have faith

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 7:25 PM

Quote:
So wait.. This is going ahead and is already approved?? Is it Groupe Germain?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 7:46 PM

Quote:
So wait.. This is going ahead and is already approved?? Is it Groupe Germain?
I think going ahead as in not just a rumor

Just to put some stuff together for us about the major posibility that it is Groupe Germain

in an article about hotels from Mar 2012

Quote:
...Quebec firm interested in downtown St. John's properties
A Quebec boutique-hotel chain recently took out an ad in a St. John's newspaper looking to purchase downtown properties.

Hugo Germain, the director of development for Groupe Germain, said St. John's is a natural fit for his company.

"St. John's is a very dynamic market as far as the hotel industry is concerned. [It's] producing very good numbers especially related to resources and I think our product would do extremely well there."...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ncing-514.html

About the ATL at Halifax's airport, aparently their partners is Marco a company from St. John's (possible further partnerships bringing it all home???

Quote:
Members of a local carpenters union are upset that a company is outsourcing work on a hotel under construction at Halifax Stanfield International Airport.

Le Groupe Germain, a hotel chain based in Quebec City, and its partner, Marco Group of St. John’s, N.L., are working on a $27-million, 14-storey, 169-room ALT hotel on the airport property.

But the Atlantic Canada Regional Council of Carpenters, Millwrights and Allied Workers said the partners have hired Long Valley Forming of Concord, Ont., to do the work and have brought in workers from that province.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...cal-hire-union

Quote:
St. John's Mayor Dennis O'Keefe says the city is taking the appropriate steps to enhance the downtown waterfront. O'Keefe says St. John's has a beautiful harbour that is full of history and heritage, and it will only get better once developments are made to humanize the area. O'Keefe cites the construction of new restaurants next to The Keg as an example of improving the harbour.

In the New Year, O'Keefe says, great strides will be made to reach the city's goal. He would only say that a new development based around the parking garage will go along way towards beautifying the waterfront and Water Street. He says the project is pending and an announcement will come in early 2013.
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=29506&latest=1

Also there was an ad that I cannot find from last year that they were looking for space in Downtown and near the harbor

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 7:59 PM

Awesome! I assume this was the development Doc was talking about! Official news soon I hope

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Awesome! I assume this was the development Doc was talking about! Official news soon I hope
Hmm... I wonder if there will be any mention of this in the first council meeting of 2013 this upcoming Monday? The city posts the agenda on their website every Friday prior to their Monday meeting. Keep our eyes peeled for this tomorrow.....

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 8:54 PM

Ohh, I guess that is a possibility! I will be sure to check the website tomorrow! He did say early 2013 after all

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 8:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

WTF, it's Thursday? Wow...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
WTF, it's Thursday? Wow...
So I'm not the only one who has thought it's Monday all day??

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 10:11 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
That one still surprises me more than anything else. Any idea how many stories it might be?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
That one still surprises me more than anything else. Any idea how many stories it might be?
I am wondering that too. Does anyone know how many stories they are structurally able to add? I hope it will be at least six and the design will be wonderful and reduce the prominence of Atlantic Place

Edit: I hope they don't take away any levels of parking for the hotel. Well, obviously the rooftop lot would be gone but hopefully no more are taken. I also hope it would be slightly taller than AP and Scotia center to offer a bit of variety and not create a huge flat-roof effect.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's