HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Mount Pearl is having a rough go. Last year's almost-homicide was there as well, yes?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Mount Pearl is having a rough go. Last year's almost-homicide was there as well, yes?
I think that area counts as Paradise. Paradise is having a rough go of it all, Mount Pearl isn't as bad as people from St. John's tried to make me think

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I think that area counts as Paradise. Paradise is having a rough go of it all, Mount Pearl isn't as bad as people from St. John's tried to make me think
Brilliant, meaning them trying to make you hate it, ha!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 2:56 PM

Police Still Investigating Woman's Death

Although this was yesterday's news:

Source: VOCM News
Date: Jan 8, 2013
Author: Unknown

Quote:
There are still a lot of unanswered questions surrounding the death of a 33-year-old woman in the Powers Pond area of Mount Pearl. RNC found the woman in the park early yesterday morning but she later died in hospital. Police are working with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to help establish the cause of death.

RNC say there is no cause for public concern.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=29699

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Powers Pond death is no longer being treated as suspicious. So... suicide?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:12 PM

Just because they say there is no cause for public concern doesn't mean she killed herself. It can also mean they believe the woman was killed by someone she personally knows and had motive to kill her.

Who kills themselves by stabbing themselves with a knife while walking around a pond at night??

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 9:27 PM

^CBC retracted their statement about the stabbing after the RNC informed the telegram that the allegations were false. I guess CBC's "RNC source" messed this one up.

Anyway the police said the death is not suspicious, so I'll take a guess and say it was either suicide or a "natural" death...whatever that may encompass.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Would-be Robber Sentenced

A man accused of attempting to rob the pharmacist at the Topsail Road Shopper's Drug Mart last year has been sentenced at provincial court. 34-year-old Darren Fleming calmly approached the drug store's pharmacist on Boxing Day last year and handed her a note demanding drugs; he also said he had a gun. Fleming told the pharmacist he didn't want to rob the store, but that he was desperate. Fleming ended up leaving the store without any drugs, and turned himself in to police days after the incident.

He has no criminal record, and was visiting relatives from Ontario last Christmas when the incident occurred. Fleming has been addicted to percocet oxycontin since suffering a shoulder injury in 2010 in an attempt to save a relative from committing suicide. Before his visit, Fleming was unsuccessful in transferring his methadone prescription from Ontario to Newfoundland. He has a supportive family who did not know the extent of his addiction until his arrest. Since then, Fleming has been employed as a construction worker, and has taken control of his addiction.

Judge Pamela Goulding ordered Fleming to serve 90 days intermittently so that he can continue to work. That sentence will begin this Friday.
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=29714&latest=1

Not really a crime story, but a kind of sad story. A lot of the robberies in the city have the same back story. We'll never be able to stop drug abuse, but is there anyway to help these people? Some people enter in to the world of drugs and addiction through life mistakes, and then there's people like this.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:50 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That is so sad. And I fail to see how any punishment other than mandatory rehabilitation measures are in any way appropriate in this situation.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:57 PM

Who walks around with medication on them? and enough cash for a whole group to benefit from?.. at 1:15am

Use of bat reported in St. John's mugging

Quote:
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating a mugging in the west end of St. John's early Wednesday, in which the victim says a bat was used as a weapon.

The man told police he did not know the suspects, but said at least one of them wielded a bat to rob him of medications and some cash.

The man, who was not sure how many people attacked him, was taken to the Health Sciences Centre to be treated for minor injuries.

The incident was reported around 1:15 a.m., and occurred on Topsail Road in the neighbourhood of Cowan Avenue and Pasadena Crescent.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...-road-109.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 9:46 PM

Blizzards don't seem to stop some people

Quote:
RNC investigating armed robbery

The RNC is investigating an armed robbery that occurred 7:40 p.m. Thursday at a convenience store on Crosbie Road in St. John's.

An unidentified person entered the store with a weapon and face disguised, and left on foot with an undisclosed amount of money.

There were no injuries during the incident.

Any person with information on this matter is asked to call the RNC (729-8000) or Crime Stoppers.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...rmed-robbery/1

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Witnesses sought for Water Street stabbing

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is looking for witnesses to a fight in downtown St. John's in which two men were injured, one with stab wounds.

A fight broke out at the corner of Water Street and Adelaide Street, just metres away from the busy George Street strip, before 3 a.m. Sunday.

The RNC said the fight involved two men, aged 23 and 41.

The RNC called in patrol officers, forensics experts and its Criminal Investigation Division, but still needs information to complete its investigation into what it calls an assault with a weapon.

Both men were taken to hospital for treatment for injuries. Police did not say which man suffered what appeared to be stab wounds.

Neither man's life was at stake, police said.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...g-rnc-114.html

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
I actually saw this on my stumbles home.. they were right in the ,iddle of water street .. big buff guys big crowd too and they were like rolling around in the slush with their shirts half ripped off .. then they got up and were cursing at each other and others like the other's friends.. then the PoPo showed up and lazily out hand cuffs on one. .. he just stood by the car and let them do it .. then I stumbled to a taxi

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I actually saw this on my stumbles home.. they were right in the ,iddle of water street .. big buff guys big crowd too and they were like rolling around in the slush with their shirts half ripped off .. then they got up and were cursing at each other and others like the other's friends.. then the PoPo showed up and lazily out hand cuffs on one. .. he just stood by the car and let them do it .. then I stumbled to a taxi
I saw a picture on facebook Sunday morning as well, of a huge crowd and the police. I'm sure the cops are sick of breaking up drunk people fighting by 3am on a weekend

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 1:27 AM

Quote:
I saw a picture on facebook Sunday morning as well, of a huge crowd and the police. I'm sure the cops are sick of breaking up drunk people fighting by 3am on a weekend
It's funny because it wasnt even like a break up .. the traffic couldnt move cuz they were in the middle of water street .. and then they simply got up ahhaha then they were yelling and then the cop car pulled up slowly after it was over and he like stood up against the car to be arrested hahah it was bizarre

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 3:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Awesome interview. She very eloquently explains why this is such a big deal:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada...ID/2326088253/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Teen reports armed robbery in Cowan Heights

he Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating a report of an armed robbery in the west end of St. John's on Thursday night.

The RNC said an 18-year-old man told police that two people robbed him in the Cowan Heights area of the city.

"The suspect[s] were a male [and] a female each carrying a weapon," the RNC said in a statement early Friday, although police are not commenting on what kind of weapons were involved in the incident.

The teenager was not injured.

Last week, police were called to the nearby area of Cowan Avenue and Topsail Road, where a man was sent to hospital for treatment after being struck by a bat. The victim was unable to tell how many people were involved in that assault and robbery.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ights-118.html

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Man sprayed in face at door

The RNC report that a homeowner on Bay Bulls Road was attacked by another male last night when he opened his door. The victim answered his door and was sprayed with an as of yet unidentified substance. The victim was taken to St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital for treatment of non life threatening injuries. The RNC say the assailant and the victim are known to each other. An arrest warrant for assault with a weapon has been requested for a 23 year old male from St John’s. The RNC does not believe at this time their is a public safety concern.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...face-at-door/1

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 9:30 PM

The news is full of crazy family members today!

Quote:
Cowan Heights Robbery Perpetrators in Court

Two people are facing charges of robbery after a brazen incident in Cowan Heights earlier this month. 27-year-old Amanda Murphy of St. John's and 25-year-old Julian Matthew Squires, whose address appears on court records as Her Majesty's Penitentiary, both appeared at court today after being accused of robbery with violence on January 18.

Police say the 18-year-old victim had placed an ad on a classified website to sell an item he owned. He and two friends agreed to meet a potential buyer at a location the buyer had suggested. When they got to the location, the seller and his friends were robbed of their possessions. Police say one of the suspects had a knife and the other had a club.

Murphy and Squires were arrested yesterday, and Murphy's family members made their best attempt to intimidate the media before being warned by Sheriff's Officers during her first court appearance today. Squires was already in custody, having been arrested on a breach last weekend. Murphy has an outstanding charge of theft from Globo shoes and is set to go to trial in March. She has been released from custody, and both she and Squires are due back in court on February 15.
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=30286&latest=1

Quote:
Mom denies son had drug lab in home

A St. John's woman says her son was not operating a drug lab in her home, as police suspect.

Brian Moores, 43, was rushed to hospital from 20 Albany St. on Sept. 21, 2012. Police then evacuated dozens of houses in the area when they found material in the home that they described as "potentially explosive."

At the time, Albany Street was blocked off overnight as firefighters and police officers in hazardous material suits carefully removed boxes of evidence from the house.

Moores, who lived at the house with his parents, died in hospital several weeks later. His mother said her son died of diabetes, and that there was no drug lab in their home.

Police have not released a cause of death.

The RNC sent the evidence to a laboratory in Montreal for analysis. After receiving the results, police concluded the chemicals they found could be used to make a variety of drugs.

The RNC has not identified the chemicals, or what kind of drugs could have been manufactured.

In an email, the RNC said, "The results were inconclusive as to exactly what drug was being manufactured."

No charges have been laid in connection with the incident last fall.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...lysis-128.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:35 PM

I dunno about you peeps. But I feel that dog kidnapping near the SPCA is pretty serious...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's