HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 6:34 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Top 10 Newfoundland and Labrador Film and Television Moments, 2012:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...film-1229.html

Midnight's Children premieres in St. John's

There was a lot of chatter leading up to the release of this film – and we got to see it first.

Taylor Kitsch and Brendan Gleeson visit outport Newfoundland

The Grand Seduction, an English language remake of the 2003 Quebec hit, lured some big Hollywood names to outport Newfoundland this past summer.

Beat Down opens across Atlantic Canada

Local filmmaker Deanne Foley had a great run this year with her debut feature film Beat Down.

It opened in theatres across Atlantic Canada in early September, and was among the top five Canadian films at the box office for its opening weekend.

The Alan Doyle/Russell Crowe bromance continues

Great Big Sea's Alan Doyle and Hollywood actor Russell Crowe are no strangers -- and that friendship continued to strengthen in 2012.

Republic of Doyle wraps filming of 4th season

Everyone's been on the edge of their seat to find out what happens next in the Republic of Doyle saga -- and we'll soon have the answers.

Jeanne Beker stars in new Ruth Lawrence film

Iconic fashion maven Jeanne Beker, best known for her work with CTV's Fashion Television, Muchmusic's The New Music, and with various CBC Radio and Television programs, returned to St. John's in January to star in the film Two Square Feet.

Men from Northern Peninsula star in Iceberg Hunters

Three men from the island's Northern Peninsula brought their 'berg hunting skills to American television screens this fall.

The reality television show Iceberg Hunters premiered on The Weather Channel in September.

Donnie Dumphy gets feature movie deal

Donnie Dumphy has made the leap from being a local web video gem to having his own feature film.

Union Pictures and Rink Rat Productions signed up to back a feature based on the 15-minute short, How To Be Deadly.

Hold Fast moves from the printed page to the big screen

The beloved, award-winning novel by Newfoundland's Kevin Major is being turned into a movie.

Newfoundlander wins hosting gig for national cooking show

Christine Tizzard was named the new host of CBC Television's Best Recipes Ever.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 2:32 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Oh cool. I didn't know if you had done anything with regards to development or planning, though there's nothing offered at MUN. If I had my time back I would have given serious thought of doing a double major in business and political science.
Nothing focused on planning and development yet. A Masters of Real Estate Development exists, although I can't find any program in Canada. I'm eyeing University of Southern California someday, however you need at least two years of work experience in the field as well as great references and strong marks. Maybe come 2014 I'll start thinking about that. Other schools offer MRED programs as well. Columbia and University of Glascow are other schools I've eyed.

Then there are Masters of Urban Planning programs. Lots of schools have those, and I wouldn't have to leave Canada (although I consider the ability to study in the US / Scotland to be exciting). I do feel though that Masters of Urban Planning are a lot more common. I think the MRED program is more my cup of tea, but also there is more of a chance of not getting accepted. Likely Urban Planning would be a backup.

Who knows though. I do intent to continue to pursue education. I value it quite highly. And real estate is the business I want to be in.

In other news... arrived in Costa Rica. Its gorgeous here... but my luggage is MIA. It seems someone with the same suitcase walked off with my bag at the airport. That bag contains my entire life. Forgetting about the Christmas presents I hadn't even used yet, I had packed all my best winter clothes (dress shirts, pea coat, suit jacket, sweaters, etc.) due to being home for Christmas... AND all my summer stuff (t-shirts, soccer jersey, sandals, running shoes) for my trip... AND a bunch of general stuff like my laptop power chord, cell phone charger, new hardcover books I had intended to read... Literally my entire life is currently MIA. So while Costa Rica is gorgeous, I have to go out today and buy a bathing suit so I can enjoy it.

More updates to come, but who knows if this can get anymore tragic. All I can do it laugh about it.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 1:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Our last sunrise of 2012:

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 5:05 PM

A beautiful morning to end a wonderful year

2012 was a great year in St. John's! more development projects were started and more proposals were approved than in the past 25 years. I really appreciate this forum and all you guys to discuss development with in this great city. It makes it the whole experience so much more exciting and enjoyable! One of my favourite things in 2012 was visiting this page every morning and seeing what mind-blowing shots signal had taken that morning! I want to say thanks to Signal for your love of photography and your willingness and dedication to share your talent with us and keep us updated on the many ongoing projects in the city. We all appreciate so much and we wouldn't have much to talk about without it! For all the other forum members, I really appreciate the kindness and respect everybody shows for eachother in this section. We don't personally attack eachother here (like some of the other Atlantic sections..), but rather have informed, polite discussion which makes being here very enjoyable! We're more like a family than the "sworn enemies" elsewhere!

in 2012 so many things happened in St. John's that I will not even try to list them. 2013 already has a list about twice as long and it's not even here yet. It is going to be a very exciting year. It's shaping up to be the most exciting development year in all of St. John's history and I very much look forward to discussing the events that will unfold with all of you!

Happy New Year to everyone and I wish the best to all of you in 2013

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 9:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Can I just say... 12 active users right now. Logged in. And 18 guests.

Woot woot!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 9:48 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year! All the best in 2013. 2012 has been fantastic for our city, and I'm sure 2013 will be even better.

I managed to get my bag back, and everything is there, so all is now good. Finally relaxing in Costa Rica.

I hope you all have a great evening tonight, ringing in the New Year.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 1:40 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Glad you got your luggage back.

And Happy New Year to All !

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:15 AM

My girlfriend is visiting me and has fallen asleep on the couch while I drink myself into the new year. SIGNAL GET OUT THE BOTTLE LETS DO THIS.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:19 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Bahaha. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:25 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Also, I love the 2 photos above.

I expect you will be up bright and early New years day to take the first pics of 2013 ?? lol.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:29 AM

Heheh I hear ya Marty... wife, daughter, pets, all gone to bed as usual. Just me, Tony Marie, and Larry J again this year, along with the traditional midnight rapid scroll of every community name in Nfld.

Time to open a good bottle of wine...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:34 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I plan to be, Architype.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:42 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I was joking. Be careful taking pictures if you're drunk or hungover.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:46 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My fiance is working today so I've been watching movies and unpacking.

Bliss (Turkish), A Separation (Iranian), Max Manus (Norwegian), and now Winter's Bone (American, I assume).

Awesome movies all, especially A Separation. I watched a documentary about Iranian divorce court. And it was really amazing to see how such educated, spirited women compete in a legal system stacked against them. It wasn't like watching women of another culture, it was like watching regular George Street girls suddenly subjected to Sharia law. Anyhow, this movie really portrayed with the women accurately. And the story... wow... and the ENDING! Just brilliant.

Bliss was an opposite lesson entirely - the first story (it's a series of several ones) is a timely one - a young girl condemned to death in an isolated village after being raped. This one does a really good job of showing how a person, no matter how strong-willed or how eager to live a free life, may not recognize their circumstances as wrong if they share the same culture as their tormentors. Which makes it all the more heart-breaking, of course... but beautifully done. A couple of times where you can tell it's more amateurish than big budget movies, a couple of bad actors... but the main stars are just awesome.

And the Turkish language is BEAUTIFUL to listen to.

Not at all like the Norwegian in Max Manus, which was... they really are Europe's Newfoundlanders. A paragraph of English subtitles would appear for every two syllables of Norwegian. Great story, though... and none of the chest-thumping or inspirational speeches with mournful music that make me roll my eyes and turn off most American movies. Real characters in that one, and really touching.

Even the ending (it's based on a true story), the text... none of the puffery you'd get in a North American movie. About one guy they literally wrote: "After the war, he had nerve and alcohol problems. But he and his wife still shared a good life."

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I was joking. Be careful taking pictures if you're drunk or hungover.
Oh, I'll be neither of those things.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:52 AM

What if I send you over my last Rickards Blonde? They're pretty decent, brings back vivid memories of being at a conference in Cape Breton last year and staggering into a pub where a nice bartender gave me a free pint of some vile beer that I happily drank anyway.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:55 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Nah, I'm having Michelob Ultra.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 3:30 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

HAPPY NEW YEAR, NORTH AMERICA! 2013 has arrived!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 3:35 AM

Happy new year everyone! Here's to a fabulous 2013..!!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 3:38 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Okay. It's early 2013 now. Come on, Doc, what's that parkade proposal? Out with it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's