HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:52 AM

Cool Community Thread (Off Topic)

Now that we have our own sub-forum, I figured it would be good to have a thread dedicated to random discussion off the topic of development. This is basically the same as the "Atlantic Community Thread". It's just a thread to talk about whatever and get to know each other better!

Hopefully this will help keep the official project thread more on topic and give us a place to chat freely among ourselves.

Let the chatter begin!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 2:43 PM

ok so Where does everyone work? like what kind of jobs?

I'll start, I work for a shipping company (Marine/ Tug and Barge services)

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 2:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Marketing and communications for one of Canada's top employers, part of a global corporation that offers the world's number 1 or 2 version of virtually every product it offers. Woot Woot!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:14 PM

I work in the manufacturing of biopharmaceuticals, in particular a new line of chemotherapy drug.

Also: great work on the new subform guys! This off topic thread can be a new home for signal when he hits the bottle hard again :p

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Guys, I already apologized lol. I was excited and on vacation. Be nice!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:35 PM

HAYYYYY I'm on VAYCAYYYYY!!

hahah sorry

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:36 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Don't apologize. Nothing wrong with a little vacation excitement. I fully support it.

I work for the land development division of a local real estate development company.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Don't apologize. Nothing wrong with a little vacation excitement. I fully support it.

I work for the land development division of a local real estate development company.
that is like exactly where I'd love to work

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:43 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
that is like exactly where I'd love to work
Its fantastic. I came right out of school and got picked up. Considering my interest in development / urban planning / smart city growth, it couldn't have been a better opportunity. There are a pile of developers in the city right now, if anyone is interested in the industry I highly recommend pursuing it. There really are very few Canadian cities that have the level of development currently seen in St. John's. Its gotta be one of the best places to be in the business these days.

In other news, I'm currently stuck in Halifax. Flight got cancelled because of weather. Trying to go through Toronto now and then to NY (originally it was Montreal --> New York). As long as we make it to NY by 9:30 tomorrow morning, I should make it to Costa Rica. Otherwise... my trip may be over before it begins. Wish me luck.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Its fantastic. I came right out of school and got picked up. Considering my interest in development / urban planning / smart city growth, it couldn't have been a better opportunity. There are a pile of developers in the city right now, if anyone is interested in the industry I highly recommend pursuing it. There really are very few Canadian cities that have the level of development currently seen in St. John's. Its gotta be one of the best places to be in the business these days.

In other news, I'm currently stuck in Halifax. Flight got cancelled because of weather. Trying to go through Toronto now and then to NY (originally it was Montreal --> New York). As long as we make it to NY by 9:30 tomorrow morning, I should make it to Costa Rica. Otherwise... my trip may be over before it begins. Wish me luck.
oh no!!

buena suerte!!!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:53 PM

Quote:

I hear you. Couldn't land in Halifax last night so I got a lovely vacation to Toronto for the night. I fly out to Hali via Ottawa in a few hours. I'm over this whole winter traveling.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Did you do anything else after you finished your political science degree?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 4:43 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Did you do anything else after you finished your political science degree?
I actually did two degrees: a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Business Administration. I used my political science courses as my minor for my business degree, and my business courses as a minor for my Arts degree. It took me five years instead of four, but it was worth it.

But no, I began work right after I graduated. I had a number of jobs in the past that provided me a bit of experience (I worked for ExxonMobil in summer '11, for example). I think it was the combo of two degrees that allowed me to hop right into the field.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 4:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Damn, that sucks, Copes. I hope you make it!

(EDIT: I'm referring to your vacation, of course, and not your education).

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 5:25 PM

Quote:
I actually did two degrees: a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Business Administration. I used my political science courses as my minor for my business degree, and my business courses as a minor for my Arts degree. It took me five years instead of four, but it was worth it.

But no, I began work right after I graduated. I had a number of jobs in the past that provided me a bit of experience (I worked for ExxonMobil in summer '11, for example). I think it was the combo of two degrees that allowed me to hop right into the field.
Oh cool. I didn't know if you had done anything with regards to development or planning, though there's nothing offered at MUN. If I had my time back I would have given serious thought of doing a double major in business and political science.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 5:37 PM

Great idea for an off-topic thread. Also, loving the fact we have a nicely organized section to ourselves. This really is now the one-stop place for discussion of all things St. John's. Great to see some diversity here in peoples careers.

I am a civil engineer, currently working in the field of environmental engineering, mainly on contaminated sites.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Dec 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 6:44 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A question for you all...

Is there any building in St. John's you hate enough that you would tear it down even if the location would have to be a surface parking lot for all eternity?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 7:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Do you think we should have a St. John's Scene thread? For arts and culture stuff? Upcoming concerts, local music videos, whatever?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 1:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
A question for you all...

Is there any building in St. John's you hate enough that you would tear it down even if the location would have to be a surface parking lot for all eternity?

Only 1 building? LOL

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 1:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
ok so Where does everyone work? like what kind of jobs?

I'll start, I work for a shipping company (Marine/ Tug and Barge services)

Drastically underpaid and over worked Web Developer and Software Developer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's