HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 10:38 AM

Company Graduating to Next Level

Quote:
A company that specializes in stock-price prediction software is graduating from the Genesis Centre. The Genesis Centre is Memorial's business support network for technology-based ventures that are seeking guidance and capital.

Afinin Labs was co-founded by two Memorial University researchers, and has now received a significant private investment. The official announcement will come down this afternoon.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...31854&latest=1

Marine Institute Hoping to Expand

Quote:
Memorial University's Marine Institute is hoping to expand its research and training facilities in Conception Bay Centre. The Marine Institute is looking to purchase land on the old railway site in Holyrood Harbour for the construction of a marginal wharf for continued research and training in the area.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...31864&latest=1

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 5:01 PM

I like how the Dobbin building blocks the view of the ugly Health Science Centre (from some angles). We can't change how it looks, but we can place nicer looking buildings in front of it! Hopefully NIMBY nurses don't kick up a fuss.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 8:18 PM

Enhanced Oil Recovery for Offshore

Quote:
The creation of a new research facility in St. John's will increase provincial offshore oil recovery. More than $3 million will go towards the creation of a state-of-the-art oil recovery research facility at Memorial University's St. John's campus. The Research and Development Corporation of Newfoundland and Labrador, along with Hibernia Management Development Company, are contributing the $1.6 and 1.7 million respectively. Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science, Dr. Gary F. Naterer says the facility, unlike anything the province has ever seen, will enable experimental investigations and give researchers the opportunity to measure oil properties.

He says the province doesn't have any kind of facility like this that allows researchers to test reservoir conditions in a laboratory environment.

Naterer says the province is in a great position to compete in global markets.

He says with the development of this project the province is quickly becoming world leaders.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...35117&latest=1

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 11:20 PM

Anyone know the status of The Battery loaction? Moving in? Renovations, etc?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccanning View Post
Anyone know the status of The Battery loaction? Moving in? Renovations, etc?
I see that the MUN flag is up there other than that ... no clue

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 12:21 AM

Give it a few years. They have 16 million earmarked for renos.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 2:37 PM

There was an article in The Telegram about an Australian professor who was here and spoke about MUN buying The Battery. He thought it was an excellent idea and said it's quite common for universities to have similar buildings. He also said the location was a perfect place for a restaurant, that would be open to the public.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 6:35 PM

MUN Building Relationships with China

Quote:
Premier Kathy Dunderdale says Memorial University and the province have singed a Memorandum of Undertanding with Chinese officials on post-secondary education. Dunderdale says the MOU is one of a number of accomplishments made in a recent trade mission to China.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=35740

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:02 PM

Core Sciences Building

A little while back someone posted that MUN chose the option to build two buildings for the new core sciences expansion. It looks as if they changed their minds and are going with the single building option in parking lot 16/16A. Here's a link to the story:

http://www.engr.mun.ca/news.php?id=2287

Quote:
While there was some discussion to situate the new facilities on two different campus locations, the university will move forward with the single-site option. The new building, which will be located on the north side of campus, on what is now lot 16/16A, will house various units within Memorial’s faculties of Science and Engineering and Applied Science.
We might need to update the OP once we find out the specific design of the building (that may have changed as well).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:45 PM

Sounds great, I'm doin engineering in the fall, so I guess I'll see a few changes over the next few years there

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 10:16 PM

I think it's a much better choice to go with the single building and likely lessen future maintenance costs. They already have a tough time keeping up the existing buildings, as evidenced by the current state of the present science building, old end of the Arts building, Chemistry-Physics building (pretty sure that was designed by the devil himself) and even the newer portions of the Arts building. It's been a couple of years since I was on campus out there too, but I doubt anything has changed.

Plus a single building will likely be larger and taller and lend itself to making the campus look more impressive.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 10:29 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I think that would be this option:

At this stage it would be primarily conceptual, and most likely the actual design could look different.

If it's 425,000 sq ft, it would be one of the largest buildings in the city.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 3:56 AM

I think is great they are doing the larger, single building. It would be much easier to incorporate more larger lecture halls and laboratories in a larger building than if they went with the two smaller option. I just completed the Engineering program at MUN, and being the first class in their new expansion program, I can tell you that classrooms are getting pretty scarce in the Eng. building, especially with the much larger class sizes. And I'm sure some of the other faculties and buildings are feeling the same crunch with larger classes.

However, the only caveat I can see with this option is parking, at least short term. This building will cover all of lots 16 and 16A, the largest pieces of pavement at MUN. While there will be underground parking incorporated into the building, at least from what I recall, for the 3-6 years the new building is under construction, the university will be losing out on hundreds of these spaces.

Hopefully the university can try and resolve some of their parking issues before construction of this building starts. If not I can foresee a parking situation even worse than has been there before, at least for the interim.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadyP View Post
I can tell you that classrooms are getting pretty scarce in the Eng. building, especially with the much larger class sizes. And I'm sure some of the other faculties and buildings are feeling the same crunch with larger classes.
I believe the engineering building is also in the process of being expanded for larger classrooms and more labs.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadyP View Post
I think is great they are doing the larger, single building. It would be much easier to incorporate more larger lecture halls and laboratories in a larger building than if they went with the two smaller option. I just completed the Engineering program at MUN, and being the first class in their new expansion program, I can tell you that classrooms are getting pretty scarce in the Eng. building, especially with the much larger class sizes. And I'm sure some of the other faculties and buildings are feeling the same crunch with larger classes.

However, the only caveat I can see with this option is parking, at least short term. This building will cover all of lots 16 and 16A, the largest pieces of pavement at MUN. While there will be underground parking incorporated into the building, at least from what I recall, for the 3-6 years the new building is under construction, the university will be losing out on hundreds of these spaces.

Hopefully the university can try and resolve some of their parking issues before construction of this building starts. If not I can foresee a parking situation even worse than has been there before, at least for the interim.
MUN is planning on building another 4-story parking garage in the lot bordering the Aquarena and former sports field. I'm not sure what the timeline is, but I was under the impression that it was soon. The report is on the facilities management website somewhere.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 3:03 AM

Good news! A larger single building makes more practical sense than two smaller buildings spread out across campus anyways.

About the parking situation, I was shocked that the new parking garage built near the Health Science Center was only 4 stories. When they began building I was under the impression that it would be at least 8 floors, as the demand for additional university and hospital parking was already there and is still ever growing.

Instead of building more 4 story garages and taking up valuable land all over the campus, they should evaluate just how much parking they will need now and in the future and build a larger/taller garage that will supply for those needs. If they go the route of building a new garage every 5 years they are going to run out of vacant space very quickly.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Good news! A larger single building makes more practical sense than two smaller buildings spread out across campus anyways.

About the parking situation, I was shocked that the new parking garage built near the Health Science Center was only 4 stories. When they began building I was under the impression that it would be at least 8 floors, as the demand for additional university and hospital parking was already there and is still ever growing.

Instead of building more 4 story garages and taking up valuable land all over the campus, they should evaluate just how much parking they will need now and in the future and build a larger/taller garage that will supply for those needs. If they go the route of building a new garage every 5 years they are going to run out of vacant space very quickly.
MUN should be working closer with the city and developers to encourage more student housing within the vicinity of the university. Something I've noticed in my current apartment hunt in Fredericton is that there is an effort to increase off-campus housing options. There are a multitude of apartment buildings within walking distance of STU, UNB and NBCC, whereas MUN is surrounded by single family homes that are getting chopped up for an additional basement apartment here and there. MUN is going the right way by increasing residence space, and can open more after the current science building is knocked down in about 10 years or so, but there is an economic opportunity for developers to put up more apartment complexes near campus that is not being realized by anybody.

If more students could get accomodations near campus, there would be far less need for driving from apartments in new construction neighbourhoods like Airport Heights and Kenmount Terrace (2 places a lot of my friends lived when I was out there) to get to class. And in turn, less demand for parking and fewer tie ups on Prince Philip and Columbus in the morning.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
... MUN is going the right way by increasing residence space, and can open more after the current science building is knocked down in about 10 years or so, but there is an economic opportunity for developers to put up more apartment complexes near campus that is not being realized by anybody.

If more students could get accomodations near campus, there would be far less need for driving from apartments in new construction neighbourhoods like Airport Heights and Kenmount Terrace (2 places a lot of my friends lived when I was out there) to get to class. And in turn, less demand for parking and fewer tie ups on Prince Philip and Columbus in the morning.
I wasn't aware that they planned to knock down the old Science building. I had understood that it would be converted to office space.

MUN lost an excellent opportunity on Elizabeth Ave - with the $25M - $30M they are spending on the Battery Hotel (mostly to give the President a second office with a nice view) they could have put a lot of 2 or 3 story apartment units in the new cul-de-sac opposite the Arts Building that sat empty for more than 10 years until last year when a few single houses are being built there. Having students at the Battery Hotel will add even more traffic to campus, putting them on Elizabeth Ave wouldn't.

Also, MUN owns all/most of the houses on the Clark Place (Elizabeth Ave). These houses are used as office space now, perhaps they could be converted to 2 or 4 unit student apartments when more office space becomes available (on campus or at the Battery Hotel).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 1:12 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
MUN should be working closer with the city and developers to encourage more student housing within the vicinity of the university. Something I've noticed in my current apartment hunt in Fredericton is that there is an effort to increase off-campus housing options. There are a multitude of apartment buildings within walking distance of STU, UNB and NBCC, whereas MUN is surrounded by single family homes that are getting chopped up for an additional basement apartment here and there. MUN is going the right way by increasing residence space, and can open more after the current science building is knocked down in about 10 years or so, but there is an economic opportunity for developers to put up more apartment complexes near campus that is not being realized by anybody.

I agree, city planning is blind to the fact that more residential density is needed in this area in particular. The area contains many of the city's largest employers (MUN, HSC, Government, etc.), hence, the demand is right there in that area - within walking distance. There are in fact, underused and empty spaces that could and should be developed for this, and older non heritage development that should be replaced; the Nimby factor is the big problem, thwarting the logical development of the city. Also, allowing more development in this area, relatively close to downtown, would take pressure off the more controversial development aspect of the downtown heritage areas.

Last edited by Architype; Aug 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I wasn't aware that they planned to knock down the old Science building. I had understood that it would be converted to office space.

MUN lost an excellent opportunity on Elizabeth Ave - with the $25M - $30M they are spending on the Battery Hotel (mostly to give the President a second office with a nice view) they could have put a lot of 2 or 3 story apartment units in the new cul-de-sac opposite the Arts Building that sat empty for more than 10 years until last year when a few single houses are being built there. Having students at the Battery Hotel will add even more traffic to campus, putting them on Elizabeth Ave wouldn't.

Also, MUN owns all/most of the houses on the Clark Place (Elizabeth Ave). These houses are used as office space now, perhaps they could be converted to 2 or 4 unit student apartments when more office space becomes available (on campus or at the Battery Hotel).
The money it would take to turn the Science building into a safe environment for anything would probably outweigh the cost of building new. Faculty and administration refer to the building as the "Chernobyl Ring" and, contrary to popular belief, the sections of the 3rd and 4th floors that are no thoroughfare zones are in place not because of hazardous chemicals but because the building itself has poor air quality due to things like lead paint and asbestos that they do not want students exposed to. This is what I've been told by professors who work there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's