HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:24 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Man, those new res rooms are so much better then what I stayed in.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Some more info and graphics about the new residences:

http://jfeener.tumblr.com/post/42445...-new-residence
Very similar to the existing residence at Grenfell, except they have full baths at Grenfell. I remember in my first year of univeristy, the toilet room I had was 6 inches wider at the floor than at the ceiling. No idea who did the work on that place but I hope they were fired.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 7:52 PM

Post Secondary Contribution from RDC

Quote:
Memorial University and the College of the North Atlantic were given a significant contribution towards engineering and science programs today in St. John's. VOCM's Ariana Kelland reports live from MUN.

Over $1.7 million has been put towards 10 research projects at MUN and CNA from Research and Development Corporation Newfoundland and Labrador. The minister responsible for the provincial Crown corporation, Keith Hutchings, says projects such as those being undertaken by the university and college will attract researchers to the province and further development in the fields of science and engineering. The projects are working towards reducing the impact of bottom trawls on seabeds, transforming shipping containers into dormitories for student housing or as disaster relief shelters and developing a better understanding of ice in Arctic and sub-Arctic regions.

MUN President Gary Kachanoski reiterated the importance of collaboration between the university and CNA so that the province benefits from the research and development on-going in these programs.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...31476&latest=1

More good news in Education:

CNA Qatar Signs New Dea

Quote:
Workers at the College of the North Atlantic in Qatar can breathe easy. The college has signed an extension of the comprehensive agreement worth in excess of $1 billion. The Qatar campus has grown from 300 students in 11 programs ten years ago to 2,550 students and 37 programs today.

CNA president and CEO Ann Marie Vaughan says the strength and value of the relationship which has developed between the parties is a model for international cooperation in educational partnerships.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...31473&latest=1

Onward and upward!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:19 AM

This is really cool!

MUN is really doing well and getting really great funding it seems!

I went to University in Montreal and there were never new buildings being built... haha.

First - someone commented that there isn't enough space at the central campus - that's not true! PARKING LOTS! If there is a will parking lot, there's a way.

Next - I think it would be a pity for the Battery to be residences - even though it would be really cool! A lot of major Canadian universities have two campuses, 1 major campus and 1 small campus elsewhere in the City. With Southcott Hall nearby, MUN could soon, perhaps with one more building construct a Forest road/Quidi Vidi/Battery campus... I think that would be really cool!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:25 AM

^Memorial University already has a second campus in St. Johns: The Marine Institute located on Ridge Road. But I agree that the Battery would be wasted as an off-campus residence hall. There's definitely a better use for the building (though exactly what that use may be is still unknown to me )

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:32 AM

This might be a bit far-fetched but I always thought it was a pity how MUN had such a lousy campus that wasn't walkable or student-friendly. The thing is that the potential is enormous - it's already fairly dense, near nice bodies of water and adjacent to Pippy Park! We could really make this campus more attractive for prospective and current students. The problem is Prince Phillip Drive - a major thoroughfare but also a huge death trap for pedestrians.

I propose this:

-taken from BING- Brussels

It's basically an underpass that is found everywhere in Brussels and most European Cities. They are great because they recuperate the surface level for transit and pedestrian activity and soft transport while putting the cars underground. This could be integrated along Prince Phillip Drive as you approach the campus, liberating the surface level for students to have a more cohesive, continuous campus-scape, which I believe is critically important.

It's also not atrociously expensive as it's just cut and cover. The benefits are clear too - it opens the area up for more dense development, it makes a safer crossing for students and alternative transport methods, it's more aesthetically sensitive and it allows the province's only University to actually have an identifiable character and 'place'. This could potentially lead to more dense and commercial activity for the campus.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:36 AM

haha the marine institute doesn't count because Ridge Road sucks.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:59 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I love underpasses in built-up areas. They're oddly beautiful. This would be wonderful for Prince Philip Drive.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:28 AM

I find these are really nice because they elegantly and seamlessly dip the auto-route under the earth and the activity above. It's a great urbanistic element.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:31 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Yeah, this is something I'd like to see for sure. Despite the ugly architecture, the campus does have a decent layout and there's plenty of potential to make the area into something very appealing for students.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 3:45 AM

Great Idea, the only problem is that it will be very hard to find anyone who will provide funds to move a 4 lane major through-fare underground (in NL bedrock!) just to enhance the university experience. Not to mention, with the amount of time roadwork takes here, the parkway would be shut down for 10 years! haha

But a great concept and an interesting idea. I like it alot

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:09 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

How about land bridges (wide landscaped pedestrian overpasses), here's one that is well known in Vancouver:

http://binged.it/15mtkCr

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 9:59 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I love the term "land bridges", As opposed to...?

Looks great as well. It's obviously not as grand as the underpass... but it could work. And MUN has already constructed that massive skywalk with all the restaurants inside of it. So they're not afraid of putting big things over the roadway.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:33 AM

I wouldn't say that it's too hypothetical.

It wouldn't ONLY be to enhance the university experience. It would be to ease traffic through the area in a more seamless, less obtrusive way. It would also help in densifying the area - creating a major urban population node within the City where amenities and services can be concentrated.

We can ask ourselves - what would it take to do something like this? What were the reasoning for other Cities who have done it? On my way to school every day in Brussels, I probably pass 8 of these interventions/underpasses in a 40 minute tram ride. Keep in mind Brussels is not a huge City. I realize it's also the capital of Europe, ahha, and St.John's is not - but I refuse to lower my standards just because it's the Canadian/North American/Newfounlander attitude of subsiding to ambitious projects!

We also shouldn't under-estimate how much money our Province in pulling in, and how much the City is. It's unreal. This could be a totally feasible project in the next 15-25 years. Investing in University aesthetics/branding of campus-life is very important for attracting out-of-province/international students as well.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 11:27 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

March 1, 2013

C-CORE (Centre for Cold Ocean Resources Engineering):

Residences:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 9:14 PM

Battery Hotel Sold

Quote:
The sale of the Battery Hotel has been finalized. MUN purchased the iconic building at a cost of $9.5-million - the university plans to do $16.5-million in renos. The hotel officially closed its doors in December. President Dr. Gary Kachanoski says now that the sale is final, the university will begin to consult with stakeholders to determine which units would be more appropriately located in the downtown.

The university has previously said the hotel could become home to the Harris Centre and Gardiner Centre as well as graduate student residences.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...31533&latest=1

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Excellent news. Hopefully that means a new exterior?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I hope they make the driveway underneath a public park... grass, trees, a walking path. There's no reason to have cars going around to the front of the building.

They had a No Trespassing sign strung across it for a bit. I was pleased.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 12:37 AM

They mention it potentially becoming the new home of the Harris centre.

Fantasy: Image the battery building becoming the home of urban design and urban studies, as a sub-department/branch of the Harris centre. Overlooking the City - how appropriate would that be?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 4:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

March 10, 2013

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's