HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 11:53 PM

I didn't realize before that the "future second phase of development on the western part of the site if rezoned, would potentially be a residential, high-rise building". Love to see what the future could bring for the proposed residential. I wonder how high a high rise. I guess eventually maybe once the hotel gets moving something might be proposed.

From the St. John's Web Site Public Notice

"Public Meeting for New Gower Street and Springdale Street

Start Date:
Tue, 2013/02/12 - 7:00pm
A Public Meeting will be held Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013 at 7 p.m., at the Foran/Greene Room, Fourth Floor, City Hall, to provide an opportunity for public review and comment on the revised application submitted by Manga Hotels to rezone land located at New Gower Street/Springdale Street/Pleasant Street from the Residential Downtown (RD) Zone to the Commercial Central Office (CCO) Zone to allow the construction of a 12-storey hotel building. The future development of the site, if rezoned, is proposed in two phases; the first phase would be a 12-storey hotel with 150 guest suites and surface parking. The hotel project would be located on the eastern portion of the site. Site access to the proposed hotel will include a right-in/right-out access on New Gower Street and a right-in/right-out access to Springdale Street. The applicant advises that the future second phase of development on the western part of the site if rezoned, would potentially be a residential, high-rise building; however, there are no plans at the present for the development of the western portion of the site.

Enquiries on this rezoning application may be directed to the City’s Department of Planning at (709) 576-8220, or by e-mail.

Any persons wishing to comment on this rezoning application prior to the public meeting are requested to send their comments in writing to the City Clerk’s Department in any of the following ways: (by mail: City Clerk’s Department, City of St. John’s, P.O. Box 908, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5M2; by fax: (709) 576-8474; by e-mail). Written and verbal representations may also be submitted at the time of the public meeting. The public meeting will be chaired by a member of the St. John’s Municipal Council.

In accordance with the City’s policy on public notification, properties within a minimum radius of 150-metres of the application site are notified in writing by the City of this upcoming public meeting. Notices are mailed to the property owners, business owners and occupants of buildings located within the 150-metre radius area. Property ownership information is based on data contained in the City’s assessment roll."

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:55 AM

Finally. Time to complain!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 2:11 AM

Finally, the meeting has been announced. At least we know the developer likes the first design and the renders provided are not the final design. I hope to see this approved quickly! Even though this hotel probably won't turn out to be something overly attractive or unique, it is in a great filler location that gives the illusion of a much denser west end from our most photographed angles.

I love the possibility of a residential highrise building! That would be the first downtown! (besides the rumoured "23" residential building) I hope it would be taller than the hotel. That opens up another possibility in the not-so-near future for more highrise development in the west end! Great to hear

Onward and upward!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:09 AM

Fantastic news .... Betcha Shannie & Sheila hate it already !

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Fantastic news .... Betcha Shannie & Sheila hate it already !
Haha, I'm sure they do! I don't believe you've posted during my time here so I will welcome you to the forum. Welcome, even if you have been a member since April 2011

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:20 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

So, we going?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:23 PM
BANNED

Damn!!!!! I won't be hear for this meeting. SHIT.....oh well have to email my letter of support to council.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I need to see the proposal first... I certainly don't support the most recent one...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
So, we going?
I'll go!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:46 PM

Revised LUAR

[QUOTE=Townie709;5995972]Finally, the meeting has been announced. At least we know the developer likes the first design and the renders provided are not the final design. I hope to see this approved quickly! Even though this hotel probably won't turn out to be something overly attractive or unique, it is in a great filler location that gives the illusion of a much denser west end from our most photographed angles.

I love the possibility of a residential highrise building! That would be the first downtown! (besides the rumoured "23" residential building) I hope it would be taller than the hotel. That opens up another possibility in the not-so-near future for more highrise development in the west end! Great to hear

Onward and upward![/QUOTE

Despite what the developer says, I have a feeling that this is the design they are going with. They go to great lengths in the revised LUAR to explain the reasoning for the blank wall on the back, (appeasing privancy concerns of nearby residents), materials used and the squat look of the new design (appease the heritage crowd by making the building look shorter and have some features that supposedly connect it with the heritage look of the city). If they get approval now do you think they could get away with going back and redesigning it again? Or would they want to? (although this may have been done in the Steele Hotel case). The more I look at this new design the less I like it, for this location. It looks like something I would see on my way to Pearson Airport in Toronto. Although the previous design was fairly non-descript, it at least had some look and feel of a building suited to that end of downtown.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:54 PM

Background info for public meeting

Here is the link for the background info re the upcoming public meeting.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...e%20Street.pdf

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 2:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Such a tragic re-design. The original (top) looks positively amazing now in comparison to the updated monstrosity (bottom):

I won't be going. It's too risky that the new design is what we could end up with. I hope this proposal is not approved.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 2:19 PM

I have no problem with the original design. In my opinion, there is no need for a "heritage looking" structure on that lot. I absolutely can't stand the second one. At least the first one has a nice, clean modern look. Nothing too flashy or ultra modern, but for a hotel on that specific lot, I think it looks good.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 2:23 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I won't be going. It's too risky that the new design is what we could end up with. I hope this proposal is not approved.
Then that's exactly why you SHOULD go. Support the first design. Make your complaints about the blank wall and the new look known.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

O.K., we'll see. I'll email as much for sure.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:26 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I'd love to see someone standup and say:

"Because of the attitude in this city, we've gone from a fairly decent proposal to one with a blank wall on one side that looks like a big Tim Horton's.

I fully support this development. I want this developer to be here, building, and improving our downtown. We should be welcoming people like Magna with open arms. But I cannot support the current design. Because of the demands of those living downtown, a once half-decent proposal has been bastardized.

People living downtown need to realize that living in the downtown of a capital city comes at some cost. That cost tends to be privacy and view. Our city is developing. We need these hotels. We need Magna, and them putting a large hotel in the West End is great, especially considering the recently closed Battery Hotel.

I support the development of this hotel, and want to see it. I DO NOT support the current design. Blank walls have no place here."

Man, what a speech. I'd stand up and clap.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:

"Because of the attitude in this city, we've gone from a fairly decent proposal to one with a blank wall on one side that looks like a big Tim Horton's.

I fully support this development. I want this developer to be here, building, and improving our downtown. We should be welcoming people like Magna with open arms. But I cannot support the current design. Because of the demands of those living downtown, a once half-decent proposal has been bastardized.

People living downtown need to realize that living in the downtown of a capital city comes at some cost. That cost tends to be privacy and view. Our city is developing. We need these hotels. We need Magna, and them putting a large hotel in the West End is great, especially considering the recently closed Battery Hotel.

I support the development of this hotel, and want to see it. I DO NOT support the current design. Blank walls have no place here."

Can I use that in my email that I am sending today.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:

Me too.

The part that really bothers me is that anyone for whom the original design posed a problem, the updated one does as well. They're going to be just as upset about the hideous new design as they were about the old one.

So no one is happy.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:33 PM

The second one looks brutal. With that said, the first looks like the Delta.. It would be nice to see something a little more unique than Delta version 3.0

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:

I love that line, "looks like a big Tim Hortons" It is true. It has a very similar color scheme to a Tim's. Stick a drive through in there somewhere and your all set. Seriously though, I do hope that as many as possible on the forum that live at home can make that meeting and voice their objections to the new design while at the same time supporting the rezoning. I will definately send an email and I hope I can use your comparison to a Tim Hortons.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's