HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 5:30 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

You will find pretty hideous hotels in most cities' downtowns, ranging from 60's through the present day. This type of hotel chain is not usually going to have top notch architecture, it's commercial architecture. However, I think they could still improve it by taking elements from both designs. I don't like the "mansard" at the bottom, it might be better at the top stylistically. I liked the clean look they had before, but perhaps they could have softened it a bit without it being such a drastic change. Also, because they have relocated the hotel on the site it has changed the footprint, therefore it's going to look different anyway. Apparently, there is a partial blank wall at the back which I see as the most unnattractive element of it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Okay, okay. I will come out and say it. After staring at both designs for a while, I can now say that I like the old design. The new one does have some nice features, but after further inspection, they do not go together well. The materials they show look like they could be cheapened until it looks horrible. I would rather they not use brick. It's in an area that doesn't have to look heritage. The stone on the bottom and white cladding looked fine in the previous proposal.

The other design, while very average, has the same theme throughout and looks much better as a finished product. Again, I hope the new design is just preliminary and changes will happen. I can't say I will be angry if the current proposal is built, but I would be a little bit disappointed
I feel the same way about this proposal.

I do like how it is built on the corner of the lot and I like the bottom floor. I really dislike the colours and the glass on the top doesn't flow well with the rest of the building.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 1:16 PM

If St. John's doesn't want it, Moncton will take it. I must admit that the first design was nicer.
A Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Moncton would fit right in.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post
Yuck. I am ashamed that my city will host this glorified Travel Lodge. Ugly, cheap, tacky. Fast food restaurant/auto parts dealer on ground level, then a warehouse, and an industrial park building to top it off.

All that plus hideous colours and a blank side with absolutely no windows. It's the very best in suburban Tallahassee design.
So there are no windows on the other side? How do you do that with a hotel? Does that mean there will hotel rooms with no windows? I'm confused.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
So there are no windows on the other side? How do you do that with a hotel? Does that mean there will hotel rooms with no windows? I'm confused.
This does seem very strange??? Hopefully when the LUAR gets released it'll answer some of these questions.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:53 PM

I think we are getting a very unique Hilton garden inn (even the first proposal) .. from the looks of google they are not typically very fancy on the outside

for example
The one in halifax (at teh airport)

others from google

The one in montreal is nice

This one is nice too:

Toronto:

most of them look like kenmount road developments

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 4:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post

They're allowed to build this one in St. John's if they insist on going cheap.

But this is the only one I'll allow.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 4:17 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post
Yuck. I am ashamed that my city will host this glorified Travel Lodge. Ugly, cheap, tacky. Fast food restaurant/auto parts dealer on ground level, then a warehouse, and an industrial park building to top it off.

All that plus hideous colours and a blank side with absolutely no windows. It's the very best in suburban Tallahassee design.
The bolded part actually made me lol! I totally agree though.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 12:53 AM

Lets keep in mind that the Garden Inn isn't the Hilton's top-ranked hotel chain, and is typically considered to be their discount chain. Asking for a design like Fortis Place would be too much. There's room for improvement, but I fear if council doesn't accept one of these two designs for the building the company will pass on the development all together.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 1:33 AM

I agree. We can't ask them for an architectural masterpiece for a lower-class hotel. Compared to their other hotels, it looks like they've been trying to make this one unique. I think the new design, with a few tweaks could be nice. i would like to see the blank wall issue addressed and I think it would look really nice if they changed the color of the bricks to a dark brown and cream colour (Like the color scheme used on the Lemarchant Road Condo proposal)

What do you think?

Edit: I like the one that signal highlighted. I think that one would be a nice fit as well.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 2:22 AM

Umm, I emailed about the Hilton a few months ago and they just sent me the PDF today. The blank wall on the back.. It's bad. 6/10 columns of windows are just a blank wall. It looks really bad. How is that legal?? And who will pay for a hotel room with a blank wall? And this still doesn't explain the blank wall on the front!!

They even include pictures of the original proposal in the PDF to taunt us.. -_-

I'm really going to have to email back..

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 2:39 AM

If anyone wants me to email them the PDF, just private message me your email address!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 2:51 AM

Ok I have like too much to say about the LAUR

It's a;most made me suspicious that they have done this to get the original approved ... but who knows

they say in it that they used techniques to make it "heritage" and feel like a lower build

but they keep popping up with the old revering every like third page lol

I'll take some screen shots to put on here in a few mins

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:02 AM

Here's the back we've been talking about .. you better sit down signal ...

the building in all it's "glory"

some old renderings they kept reminding us of

Ok I prefer the old proposal on the site that they moved it to ..trow a store or two on the street and voila

but you can see that they are trying VERY hard to please everyone from what they wrote in the document .. they thought it out A LOT... I hope if this is refused because well it's not nice really .. I hope it doesnt discourage them from the development all together .. seems like the rules are so unclear ..

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:04 AM

I like that last picture of the old proposal.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:16 AM

I have no clue how that's even legal (all that blank space). I too am wondering if this is all just a stunt to get the original approved. I'm definitely liking the original much better now.

They need to wait for the updated municipal plan. The might actual be able to propose something modern and something with windows because Sally McNeil up the road is too cheap to buy a curtain.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:31 AM

The window for the hotel room is probably on the other side.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:40 AM

Alright, I can't endorse this proposal with that blank wall. No way.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Ok I have like too much to say about the LAUR
It's almost made me suspicious that they have done this to get the original approved ... but who knows
I'm with you on this. Even the new design images seem to be of lower quality to make it look worse than it may actually be.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 11:50 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

The blank wall is awful. In all fairness, I do not care about downtown residents and their privacy. Insert windows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's