HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 6:49 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...34230262_n.jpg

Apologies for the blurry cell phone pic.

This was posted in today's Telegram. I would imagine these restaurants will eventually go down at the new Field Power Centre where the new Empire Cinemas are being built on Torbay Road. But I guess they could go anywhere in St. John's and surrounding area really and be successful. Nice to see some new restaurants coming to town.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...34230262_n.jpg

Apologies for the blurry cell phone pic.

This was posted in today's Telegram. I would imagine these restaurants will eventually go down at the new Field Power Centre where the new Empire Cinemas are being built on Torbay Road. But I guess they could go anywhere in St. John's and surrounding area really and be successful. Nice to see some new restaurants coming to town.
I would venture to guess those restaurants would be a part of the restaurant pad site for the Field Power Centre. You typically see restaurants such as these in power centres throughout Canada. I've been to both; Kelsey's is family-style restaurant very similar to BP/Montana's/Eastside Marios while Milestones is a bit more upper scale, kind of similar to The Keg (although not as pricey - I guess it depends on what you order). Retail is really starting to pick up steam in St. John's, it's great to see. Hopefully someone will take on the franchises here.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 4:12 PM

Smokey's Poutinerie is opening tomorrow. Go and get yourself some real(ish) poutine guys!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 5:10 PM

KFCs disappearing

Although this story relates to KFCs outside the St. John's area, I think it's interesting and warrants posting here.

Source: The Telegram, July 10, 2012.

Quote:
The ubiquitous Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant is about to disappear from a large swath of this province, including Carbonear and Bay Roberts.

The company that owns the 10 franchise outlets outside of the St. John’s area, Marquis Ltd., confirmed last week it will not renew its franchise agreement with U.S.-based Yum Brands Inc. when it expires this fall.

Yum Brands is the owner of well-known fast-food brands KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

Owner Renee Marquis said she plans to pursue a lifelong dream of establishing a chain of family restaurants across the province catering to those seeking healthy, nutritious food choices that are largely made from scratch.

She’s calling the restaurants Oppy’s Diner, and the first one will open its doors in Carbonear, likely in August. Others will follow as staff are trained and equipment arrives, she explained....
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...disappearing/1

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 5:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Owner Renee Marquis said she plans to pursue a lifelong dream of establishing a chain of family restaurants across the province catering to those seeking healthy, nutritious food choices that are largely made from scratch.
Hmmm.....transitioning from the company that brought us the "double down" to a chain of family restaurants specializing in healthy nutritious food choices.

Sounds like somebody has "got religion" to me!!!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 8:26 PM

So the area of the Avalon Mall that is now blocked off to make way for a new store has a sign up now advertising for New Envy. There's already a store called Envy but I don't think they're the same store, I thought they were expanding originally.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
So the area of the Avalon Mall that is now blocked off to make way for a new store has a sign up now advertising for New Envy. There's already a store called Envy but I don't think they're the same store, I thought they were expanding originally.
I googled "New Envy" yesterday and nothing came up. Maybe a local store? On the other side of the boxed in area the sign just says "new retail", so looks like that part of the reno hasn't been taken quite yet.

Also, back on the topic of jump+, there are two potential locations within the mall which already exist for such a store to open. One would be the old Donovan's (I think that's what it was called) location next to Bell. The other would be where the current but temporary Bluenotes is housed near Scotia Bank. It looks like the frame shop has closed so once Bluenotes moves back to their renovated location it could open up there.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 9:27 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Although this story relates to KFCs outside the St. John's area, I think it's interesting and warrants posting here.

Source: The Telegram, July 10, 2012.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...disappearing/1
They are making quite an assumption that home cooked Nfld style food is healthier than KFC.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
They are making quite an assumption that home cooked Nfld style food is healthier than KFC.
It's also quite an assumption that people who frequent KFC will enjoy this home cooked food over Mary Browns. I know a lot of people in Marystown who will definitely not be happy about this

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
It's also quite an assumption that people who frequent KFC will enjoy this home cooked food over Mary Browns. I know a lot of people in Marystown who will definitely not be happy about this
As a Marystown native, I certainly concur.
A huge KFC following out there in rural Nfld. Those giant rotating chicken buckets at the various commercial hubs across the island have been a beacon for many a rural Nfld'er over the years. Once the banking and shopping was done, KFC would be one of the last stops before heading home.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Somehow I don't think this is the end of KFC in rural areas of the province. I'm originally from central and KFC always did very well in Gander (and I'm sure other places as well). I heard on CBC last night that YUM brands will be looking for new franchisees to keep KFC in the area.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 9:28 AM

Maybe they won't re-open all ten, but I'll bet you'll see a bunch of new KFCs opened across the island now that the franchise rights are up for grabs.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 10:58 PM

Target has released their opening dates for stores across the country.

http://pressroom.target.ca/pr/tgt-en...ns-236413.aspx

OPENING FALL 2013

Nova Scotia
Bedford – Bedford Place
Dartmouth - Mic Mac Mall
Halifax – Bayers Lake Power Centre

OPENING WINTER 2013/2014

Nova Scotia
Sydney – Sydney Shopping Centre

New Brunswick
Fredericton – Uptown Centre
Moncton – Northwest Centre
St. John - Mcallister Place

Newfoundland
Corner Brook – Corner Brook
St. John’s - Cabot Square

PEI
Charlottetown – Charlottetown Mall

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:06 PM

Plazacorp announces six new retail projects

Source: The Daily Business Buzz, July 17, 2012.

Quote:
Plazacorp Retail Properties Ltd. announced today that it will develop six new retail properties. Three projects are located in Quebec, one in Nova Scotia, one in New Brunswick and one in Newfoundland.

In all, the Corporation will be investing approximately $20 million for its share of these six new projects and will add approximately 120,000 square feet to Plazacorp's portfolio of retail properties (at PLZ's ownership percentage). The Nova Scotia and Quebec projects are being developed with joint venture partners.

"We are pleased to be able to continue to grow our portfolio by developing high quality projects that are leased to Canada's best retailers... Upon completion, these properties will further diversify our asset base and allow us to continue to grow our cash flow and deliver a reliable dividend to our shareholders," said Plazacorp president and CEO Michael Zakuta.
Plazacorp Retail Properties Ltd. is an owner of shopping malls and strip plazas throughout Atlantic Canada, Quebec and Ontario. Plazacorp now owns interests in 116 properties comprising over 5.1 million square feet of retail real estate.
http://www.nl.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/P...ail-projects/1

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 11:25 PM

Koodo, second location

Koodo has posted for store manager and staff for a new location opening up in the village mall. It will probably be a kiosk very similar to the one in the Avalon.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:10 PM

Just some restaurant info/questions (sorry if any has been reposted)....This is from a couple people i know in the biz:

A new restaurant is going into the Cellars old location; apparently same owner. Might be called 'Chop' or something like that...(this might've been posted before).

Another will be opening in the old Magnum & Steins location. Don't know much about it yet.

The owners of the Gypsy Tea Room will be opening another restaurant, apparently in the old Hungry Fisherman location. I think the idea is supposed to be an 'up end' steakhouse. I've heard about this for a bit...don't know if it actually will happen or not.

And apparently Atlantica will be moving downtown.

That's all i've got for now.

Anyone try Relish yet?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

My roommate tried Relish when he was in New Brunswick (before it was coming here. He had met the owner at a business comp and heard about the chain that way). He raves about it. Thinks it fantastic. Actually claimed it was the best burger he's had. I've yet to determine whether or not he's right.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo minor View Post
Just some restaurant info/questions (sorry if any has been reposted)....This is from a couple people i know in the biz:

A new restaurant is going into the Cellars old location; apparently same owner. Might be called 'Chop' or something like that...(this might've been posted before).

Another will be opening in the old Magnum & Steins location. Don't know much about it yet.

The owners of the Gypsy Tea Room will be opening another restaurant, apparently in the old Hungry Fisherman location. I think the idea is supposed to be an 'up end' steakhouse. I've heard about this for a bit...don't know if it actually will happen or not.

And apparently Atlantica will be moving downtown.

That's all i've got for now.

Anyone try Relish yet?
Wow... thanks for the update leo minor! I didn't realize there was this much activity in the restaurant front downtown.... great stuff.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 10:27 PM

I was reading through the list of 2012 capital projects (posted by a few people in other SJ threads) and noticed construction of an 8 unit strip mall in Torbay. Does anyone know what this is all about? It may not have anything to do with retail, but I decided to post here since it was stated as a strip mall.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 7:26 PM

I heard on the radio today that Relish Burger is now open. I walked past that place no more than a month ago and nothing was done inside... now's it's open! These guys made pretty quick work of it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's