HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 1:52 AM

There's some store going in the parking lot of the Village that sells some kind of work supplies for construction people or something. The Village may not booming in the coming years.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 4:20 AM

Ya I heard it was a Wendy's aswell. Also the first restaurant next to The Keg will be an original concept italian restaurant that will start this summer.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robg View Post
Ya I heard it was a Wendy's aswell. Also the first restaurant next to The Keg will be an original concept italian restaurant that will start this summer.
^^^ That's interesting. It would be nice to get an upper scale Italian restaurant in the downtown; I'm not sure sure if such a one currently exists.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
There's some store going in the parking lot of the Village that sells some kind of work supplies for construction people or something. The Village may not booming in the coming years.
I'm just trying to get a handle on where these new developments are happening. Is it the building that currently houses Tip Top Tailor's?

Also, I was looking at the Village Mall's website and noticed job postings for a new retail store called 'City Streets'. It looks as if they sell brand name clothing such as Hurley, DC, Quicksilver, Toms, etc. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.cstreets.ca/index.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I'm just trying to get a handle on where these new developments are happening. Is it the building that currently houses Tip Top Tailor's?

Also, I was looking at the Village Mall's website and noticed job postings for a new retail store called 'City Streets'. It looks as if they sell brand name clothing such as Hurley, DC, Quicksilver, Toms, etc. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.cstreets.ca/index.html
Yes where Tip Top is. I forgot to mention City Streets.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:59 PM

I visited the Village Mall parent company's website: www.plaza.ca and they have Wendy's listed in the floor plans of the Mall schematic. Link to the pdf below...
http://www.plaza.ca/portfolio/Newfou...Jan%202012.pdf

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I visited the Village Mall parent company's website: www.plaza.ca and they have Wendy's listed in the floor plans of the Mall schematic. Link to the pdf below...
http://www.plaza.ca/portfolio/Newfou...Jan%202012.pdf
I was looking through the PDF and there seems to be a few available spaces for lease at the Village. Having a large (and strong) anchor tennant such as Bed, Bath, and Beyond may appeal to other businesses to lease space at the Village; there'll definitely be increased foot traffic. In addition, with a new Walmart opening up in the old Zellers location and a new west-end high school in the works, I think the Village is in a great position for growth. The next few years will be very interesting

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 12:39 PM

One of the problems with the Village Mall is that it no longer has a flow to the floor plan. When Sears and Walmart were there, you could walk for ages without having to backtrack over the same space. Now all you can do is walk between those to former stores. Plazacorp too, has to stop leasing its retail space out for office space and call centres if they really want to keep this mall relevant. Bed, Bath & Beyond will get some new customers but they still need a lot more destination stores. Stores like Rossey, Labels and Urban Planet are not really bringing in customers in the droves. I have never seen any more than half dozen people in Labels at one time and they have such a huge floor space. Same goes for the Urban Planet.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 9:32 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

I've been under the impression for a long time that P.F. Changs will be going downtown next to The Keg. Perhaps this is old news, but this is no longer the case. The owners of The Keg have gone back on their plans to put a P.F. Changs there, and are instead building their own unique restaurant. Apparently the menu is developed, as are the floor-plans. A name was picked out as well, but I can't for the life of me remember what they're intending to call it. Whether or not this will go ahead, or go the same route as Changs, remains to be seen.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:48 PM

Le gros & Motti is the name of the new resturant and heres the teaser for the new website http://legrosmotti.com/. Talking to the owners and there should be some movement on the site during the summer.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 11:03 AM

Bed, Bath and Beyond and Menchies Frozen Yogurt are both now open.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:59 PM

Bed, Bath and Beyond is huge.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 4:12 PM

I was looking thorough Moncton's retail thread and notice St. John's was referenced as a place where the retail chain Jump+ will be setting up shop. Apparently they're a premium reseller of Apple products (as well as provide business IT solutions). They set up in smaller markets where an Apple store wouldn't normally open. I'm not sure when or where they'll open - but it looks as if we're getting one. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.jumpplus.com

and careers webpage:

http://www.jumpplus.com/careers/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I was looking thorough Moncton's retail thread and notice St. John's was referenced as a place where the retail chain Jump+ will be setting up shop. Apparently they're a premium reseller of Apple products (as well as provide business IT solutions). They set up in smaller markets where an Apple store wouldn't normally open. I'm not sure when or where they'll open - but it looks as if we're getting one. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.jumpplus.com

and careers webpage:

http://www.jumpplus.com/careers/
Confirmation that Jump+ will be coming to the Avalon Mall

http://stjohns.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-sale...AdIdZ386572570

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 10:06 PM

Interesting store, it'll be a great addition to the mall

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 11:57 AM

I hope it opens soon.

There are also commercials on the radio for Relish, which is the new burger store opening across from the convention centre.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 11:09 PM

There's a sign advertising Walmart outside the old Zellers on Topsail Rpad now.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 2:25 AM

I imagine the conversion from Zellers to Wal Mart doesn't entail too much work, probably just replacing all the red colors with blue.

I noticed a large section of the 2nd floor of the Avalon mall has been sectioned off for what could be a new store. It's the walk able area that connects the stores such as Bell Aliant and the Body Shop to the other section of the mall with EB Games and Pretzel Maker. It's a fair sized area of mall, if it's being used for a store it'll be comparable in size to the other mid-sized stores (such as Pseudio). I'm not sure how large Jump+ stores typically are, but it would feel somewhat large for something like that.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I imagine the conversion from Zellers to Wal Mart doesn't entail too much work, probably just replacing all the red colors with blue.

I noticed a large section of the 2nd floor of the Avalon mall has been sectioned off for what could be a new store. It's the walk able area that connects the stores such as Bell Aliant and the Body Shop to the other section of the mall with EB Games and Pretzel Maker. It's a fair sized area of mall, if it's being used for a store it'll be comparable in size to the other mid-sized stores (such as Pseudio). I'm not sure how large Jump+ stores typically are, but it would feel somewhat large for something like that.
Hmmm.... I wonder how that will affect traffic flow through that section of the mall. More importantly, how will that affect businesses on the Pretzel Maker, Le Chateau side seeing that's a less traversed side. If only one store goes there maybe it'll have two entrances to preserve throughput... just a thought.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post

Noticed that today as well. It's quite strange.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's