HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
People have been wondering this for a while. Moxies ads have been on NTV for a while now, but I think it was passed off as Global-sold advertising that NTV has to air. However, if Moxies is now sponsoring shows on NTV that could be signs of a potential new restaurant. I know the old rumors about them opening on Stavanger proved to be false, as Montana's is now currently in that location.
A couple of weeks back I posted a link to the Field Power Centre (the one where Empire Theatres is setting up shop). One of the attachments contained a restaurant pad site with 5 lots. According to the PDF there are only 2 sites left for sale. Chains such as Moxie's typically set up in retail centres, and we definitely know it won't be another Montana's or Boston Pizza. With Empire Theatres anchoring this development, it'd be interesting to see what will go there. I've attached the PDF again for quick reference:

http://www.comproperty.ca/powercentr...rant-Sites.pdf

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
A couple of weeks back I posted a link to the Field Power Centre (the one where Empire Theatres is setting up shop). One of the attachments contained a restaurant pad site with 5 lots. According to the PDF there are only 2 sites left for sale. Chains such as Moxie's typically set up in retail centres, and we definitely know it won't be another Montana's or Boston Pizza. With Empire Theatres anchoring this development, it'd be interesting to see what will go there. I've attached the PDF again for quick reference:

http://www.comproperty.ca/powercentr...rant-Sites.pdf
What is a "pad site"? A graded lot that the restaurant can lease and build on?

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
What is a "pad site"? A graded lot that the restaurant can lease and build on?
To be honest, I'm not sure what a pad site is either, just quoting what was on the PDF document. If I were to guess, I'd say it's an area dedicated for restaurant development only.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 9:55 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

"A pad site is a freestanding parcel of commercial real estate located in the front of a larger shopping center or strip mall. Desirable because of their visibility to consumers. . ."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad_site

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 9:57 PM

Well let's see. There is already a McDonald's (two if you count the one in Walmart), Burger King, A&W, KFC, Subway, Montana's, Boston Pizza, Pizza Delight, Swiss Chalet, Starbucks and Second Cup already set up in the east end. Hopefully it will be something new over at the Field Power Centre when that area opens up. I am kinda hoping for a Harvey's or Arby's. A Jack Astor's would be nice too. Time will tell I suppose.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Well let's see. There is already a McDonald's (two if you count the one in Walmart), Burger King, A&W, KFC, Subway, Montana's, Boston Pizza, Pizza Delight, Swiss Chalet, Starbucks and Second Cup already set up in the east end. Hopefully it will be something new over at the Field Power Centre when that area opens up. I am kinda hoping for a Harvey's or Arby's. A Jack Astor's would be nice too. Time will tell I suppose.
It would be nice to see Arby's make its way back to the city. I'm not a huge fan of Harvey's, but I only had it once while I was in Charlottetown last year. Love to see Taco Bell set up shop somewhere ...

I also saw an ad for Moxies on CBC this evening, so there's a possibility that there could be a location opening in the near future.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 3:36 PM

Was just out for a lunchtime stroll on Water Street and noticed that the old Melendy's building on the corner of Adelaide and Water Street is being totally gutted and renovated and in the window is sitting an illustration of a "Second Cup" coffee shop designed for that location. Anyone know of a confirmation of this?

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Was just out for a lunchtime stroll on Water Street and noticed that the old Melendy's building on the corner of Adelaide and Water Street is being totally gutted and renovated and in the window is sitting an illustration of a "Second Cup" coffee shop designed for that location. Anyone know of a confirmation of this?
I haven't heard anything about a new Second Cup opening. It'd be great to get another one though seeing there's currently only two in the city. I think Second Cup would do well downtown.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 6:15 PM

As thought Swiss Chalet will not reopen their Kenmount Road location.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...0.html?cmp=rss

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 10:38 PM

I hope they're planning to occupy a site as large as the Kenmount Rd location. The one on Stavanger is considerably smaller than the Kenmount Rd site, if that's the typical size. The Kenmount Rd. site was always busy and had a couple of large "group" areas that were popular.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 8:28 PM

I was checking out the new Roots store today and noticed the vacant spot between Globo and Roots had "The Children's Place" sign in the window. It's a children's clothing store - that's pretty obvious from the name

http://thechildrensplace.ca/

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:09 AM

Target

Here is an update on Target in the city via the Telegram. Looks like they will try to be open before Christmas of next year.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...-winter-2013/1

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:15 PM

Has there been any updates for PF Chang's? The land next to the Keg has been cleared for quite some time now but still no movement.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Has there been any updates for PF Chang's? The land next to the Keg has been cleared for quite some time now but still no movement.
I thought there were two restaurants going on this site, and that one of them is a Red Lobster. Not sure if it is true though.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I thought there were two restaurants going on this site, and that one of them is a Red Lobster. Not sure if it is true though.
Indeed, there are two restaurants going on that site. One is supposedly a PF Chang, as they're opening up a bunch of Canadian locations, and the other was supposed to be a locally owned restaurant. However, I haven't heard anything on the progress of that development

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 6:25 PM

There is one only restaurant going there now and it is not PF Changs anymore. I don't think it has been anounced publicly yet though. The building is still in the design phase. Construction maybe late fall or early next spring.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A325 View Post
There is one only restaurant going there now and it is not PF Changs anymore. I don't think it has been anounced publicly yet though. The building is still in the design phase. Construction maybe late fall or early next spring.
Hmm interesting... so it seems that PF Changs has pulled out setting up shop. Is there any confirmation on this? If so, not a huge deal in my eyes, I'd much rather see local restaurants - it's better for the local economy. One thing I like about St. John's (especially downtown) is its high number of locally owned shops and restaurants.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 8:58 PM

Village Parking Lot

The building in the village parking lot now has a newly installed DT window... Starbucks or 2nd up?

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch1005 View Post
The building in the village parking lot now has a newly installed DT window... Starbucks or 2nd up?
Hopefully it is one of those two. That area of town really needs another coffee shop.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 1:32 AM

I heard it is a Wendy's Restaurant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's