HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:28 AM

Walmart bought out the lease from Target for the old Zellers store on Hamlyn Road as Target did not want that space. I think I heard that Walmart is experimenting with a new smaller concept in Canada called Walmart Urban 90 which utilizes a smaller space than the regular size Walmart stores.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:31 AM

I would say once Target is firmly established in Canada and Newfoundland, you will see other Target Stores opening. Most likely in either the Kelsey Drive area or in the new Southlands Big Box area which is suppose to start construction this year. Time will tell.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:42 PM

I noticed that Wingin' It is opening a second St. John's restaurant on Kenmount Road. It's in the newish strip mall building that's been vacant for many years just west of Kelsey Drive. Looks like it's going to be a pretty big location, so I have no excuse not to try and go there now

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:28 PM

I've updated the main page with a list of up and coming retail openings around town, along with a link to a google map. The list isn't extensive at all, so if anyone can think of anything I haven't thought of please post (there's a lot I know, so lets brainstorm an extensive list). I can also add businesses that are already open around town. It'd be impossible to list every store in town, so I'll just try and add any notable stores.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I've updated the main page with a list of up and coming retail openings around town, along with a link to a google map. The list isn't extensive at all, so if anyone can think of anything I haven't thought of please post (there's a lot I know, so lets brainstorm an extensive list). I can also add businesses that are already open around town. It'd be impossible to list every store in town, so I'll just try and add any notable stores.
Bed, Bath and Beyond will soon be opening in the Village Mall.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 12:59 PM

I heard on the radio this weekend that the new Wingin' It location will be at 93 Kenmount Rd. Apparently it's where the old Taiwan restaurant used to be. I guess they'll have a lot more space than the downtown location, also less hassle with parking! I Google mapped it below:

http://g.co/maps/g97s5

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I heard on the radio this weekend that the new Wingin' It location will be at 93 Kenmount Rd. Apparently it's where the old Taiwan restaurant used to be. I guess they'll have a lot more space than the downtown location, also less hassle with parking! I Google mapped it below:

http://g.co/maps/g97s5
Yes, it definitely is a step up in size. The old Taiwan restaurant building was demolished in favor for a strip mall styled development with about 4 or 5 stores. But as of right now Wingin' It is the only business opening in that complex.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, it definitely is a step up in size. The old Taiwan restaurant building was demolished in favor for a strip mall styled development with about 4 or 5 stores. But as of right now Wingin' It is the only business opening in that complex.
I'm surprised it has been vacant so long as it sits on the doorstep of Kenmount Terrace/Bristolwood/Westgate.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
I'm surprised it has been vacant so long as it sits on the doorstep of Kenmount Terrace/Bristolwood/Westgate.
It's in a prime location, next to a booming neighbourhood as well as huge big box center, I can't imagine why it's sat vacant for this long. I would assume businesses would be flocking to the building.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... with Wingin' It's huge popularity maybe it will serve as a somewhat anchor tenant and thus help bring more businesses to that complex. I think it's a great spot to open a restaurant; there is a large residential (e.g. Kenmount Terrace/Bristolwood) and business (e.g. Kenmount/Kelsey) population it can serve. The potential to do well is definitely there.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 12:35 AM

So, what's happening to Kenmount Road Swiss Chalet? Was supposed to reopen in the spring?
Doesn't look anywhere near to re-opening. Heard a rumour that they might not re-open, instead build a new restaurant in the Kelsey Drive area.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
So, what's happening to Kenmount Road Swiss Chalet? Was supposed to reopen in the spring?
Doesn't look anywhere near to re-opening. Heard a rumour that they might not re-open, instead build a new restaurant in the Kelsey Drive area.
Yes I think they're inquiring about building a new restaurant on Kelsey Drive. This is a smart move on their part. Even if the building has been completely remodeled and cleaned, they may never get their original clientele back at the Kenmount location. Opening in a new building will probably help with that problem.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:57 PM

According to the Smart Centres website, there is a piece of property available in front on Mark's Work Wearhouse entrance marked with a number 10 on the site map. That is probably a good location for Swiss Chalet. Here is a link to the site plan for Kelsey Drive. Though I think this site map needs to be updated as some newer stores have since gone there.

http://www.smartcentres.com/site_sum...hns(C)_ss1.pdf

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
According to the Smart Centres website, there is a piece of property available in front on Mark's Work Wearhouse entrance marked with a number 10 on the site map. That is probably a good location for Swiss Chalet. Here is a link to the site plan for Kelsey Drive. Though I think this site map needs to be updated as some newer stores have since gone there.

http://www.smartcentres.com/site_sum...hns(C)_ss1.pdf
I was at Mark's over the weekend and noticed the area where unit 10 is located on the map has been cleared away and surveying pegs in the ground. This seems like a good spot for Swiss Chalet to set up shop, and also very strategic on their part to rid themselves of the old location.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 9:21 PM

An excavator was there during the winter to dig some test holes,presumably for a geotechnical report for a new building. It could be Swiss chalet. Also, there is still a lot left to be developed directly between the Staples and WokBox. That location would work as well.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
An excavator was there during the winter to dig some test holes,presumably for a geotechnical report for a new building. It could be Swiss chalet. Also, there is still a lot left to be developed directly between the Staples and WokBox. That location would work as well.
There's a lot left in front of Staples? I hadn't noticed that, but it seems like it would become very crowded if a building were placed in that spot. Just from a purely aesthetic point of view. I'm trying to picture a building there and its not working for me, although I vaguely recall an unpaved section in the middle of the parking lot now that I really think about it. That said, it might be a better spot considering that's the same side as the other restaurants on Kelsey (Boston Pizza, Wok Box and Subway), though its not like the opposite side is far away. Either way good call on relocating. Once you get a reputation for rats or bad vibe etc... it sticks forever.

I remember when I lived in Sydney N.S. there was a McDonald's which had been the site of a murder. After that business trailed off and eventually a new restaurant was built about 500 metres away in a neighbouring parking lot. Picked up again after that.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 11:12 AM

I heard that the new Wing'n It location on Kenmount Rd. will be opening this coming Monday, May 7.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 2:02 PM

Confirmed. I need to get paid, I'm dying for some wings

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 3:12 PM

I noticed Moxies sponsoring shows on NTV earlier the week. Any rumours of them opening a restaurant in St. John's?

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
I noticed Moxies sponsoring shows on NTV earlier the week. Any rumours of them opening a restaurant in St. John's?
People have been wondering this for a while. Moxies ads have been on NTV for a while now, but I think it was passed off as Global-sold advertising that NTV has to air. However, if Moxies is now sponsoring shows on NTV that could be signs of a potential new restaurant. I know the old rumors about them opening on Stavanger proved to be false, as Montana's is now currently in that location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's