HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 1:55 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I like that Halifax design. It's not much but it's more and better than we have currently and it would be a smart, sophisticated addition to the city that will probably age quite well.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Thanks! It's definitely not a senior's development, that's for sure! I really want to hear more on the Tiffany Estates development, but the fact is we may not hear anything on this project for quite some time because the timeline in the projects inventory was 2012-2016

I just always wanted to use that from emoticon..
I think we'll hear about this project sooner than later. Assuming the developers are sticking to their timeline, to construct two 16 storey buildings in four years one would assume they'll need a detailed proposal submitted to the city fairly soon. But again, these things are subject to much change.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 12:13 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofcochranest View Post
Gentlemen: I'm the one who moderated your Newburbia chat a couple of weeks ago. I told you I was a fan. You were wondering about Atlantic Place? It was to have an eight-storey hotel on the top of it originally. A couple of years ago, I took a snap of this painting. It's in the security guard's office on the first floor.

I brought the quote and photo into this thread because it is really a concept, and even though it is not likely to ever happen, something like it may still be considered a remote possibility.

I revised a drawing based on the idea from the painting in diagram (elevation) form. It is an 8 story hotel atop the existing structure. Judging from the style, this idea was likely conceived of in the 1980's:

If such a project were to be done today, using the same idea, but with a total reclad and a few refinements it could probably look something like this:

The drawing is meant to represent a hotel, but practically it might be better suited as office floors instead, which would either make it higher, or have a reduction to six floors instead of eight. Note - the parking garage revision is just an idea which needs some more work. In case you are wondering, these concept designs would be in the range of 65 to 68 metres in height from the harbour side.

Note - the drawings still need some work, but I decided to share them now anyway.

Last edited by Architype; Oct 20, 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 12:18 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Beautifully done, Architype!

The reclad render is actually quite nice. I don't want any additions approved, of course, but it looks much better than what we have. And the reclad without the hotel on top I'd love to see tomorrow, ha!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 12:36 AM

Great render! I really like it. If something like this was proposed, given the design was attractive, I would support it.

Atlantic Place is there, whether we like it or not and it will be there for a long time! Adding the additional floors would have very little effect on the water street side. The building is already there, so shadowing would not be an issue, and I can't see it blocking too many views as the hill is so steep there anyway.

That being said, although it has little effect on ground level, it does have an impact on our overall skyline. This is where our choice is. Would we rather look at two stubby, ugly brick boxes as the centerpiece of our skyline, or a modern, well designed taller structure. I for one, would rather the second choice! Atlantic Place is located right next to Scotia Center which is already pretty tall for St. John's so it wouldn't look out of place, and in my opinion is far enough away from the "old town" from a photographing point of view.

From my perspective if we could have a nice Atlantic Place reclad, That's great! If we can have a beautiful reclad with some additional height added, In my books that's even better!

I know a lot of you probably don't share the same opinions as me, but that's my point of view!

(Also architype: If you do this design in more detail and you have some spare time, you should do a render of how a re-clad and the additional floors would effect our skyline!)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 12:42 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Beautifully done, Architype!

The reclad render is actually quite nice. I don't want any additions approved, of course, but it looks much better than what we have. And the reclad without the hotel on top I'd love to see tomorrow, ha!
^ Thanks, and I think most people would agree with you, however adding more space, maybe even even two stories, would make the cost of a much needed facelift more viable.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 12:47 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Townie, it is a better location, farther west, than the former Fortis proposal in terms of heritage and what views it would block, and would not be much taller, if any, than their 15 storey proposal.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 1:09 AM

I always speculated that the whole adding more levels to Atlantic Place would come up in the future. I mean, The building was meant to support 20 stories, there is going to be someone who will want to take advantage of that, and rightfully so!

I know it hasn't officially come up yet, like proposal-wise, but if there is any truth to what "A325" said, we may see this arise in the not-too-distant future. I just pray if any developer is planning something, they wait until the next municipal election is over and we may have finally rid ourselves of shannie!

It all depends on the design. People do not like the way Atlantic Place looks. People have resented it since the day it was built. If someone can come along and offer to make the eyesore of St. John's attractive with the catch that they add more floors, There is a chance they may gain some public support and in turn, the support of council.

It's a long shot, but if a developer plays their cards right, and with a little bit of luck, there is a small possibility of something like this getting approved.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 12:31 AM

Sorry, wrong thread

Last edited by Townie709; Oct 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:29 PM

Here is the original concept of the latest Atlantic Place Re-Clad:

And here is what was actually built:

These images are from John Hearn Architects Inc webpage. There are some other interesting concept renderings of other projects in NL on his site also.

http://www.jharchitect.ca/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 12:15 PM

Here are a couple of apartment buildings (dark grey and white foreground buildings) in Reykjavik, Iceland. I really like the look of these buildings; I think something similar to these would look nice here - not necessarily downtown, may be in the Torbay Rd area close to the Tiffany condos. I'll say it again, I think this is a prime area to create more density.

Here's a closer shot of the the dark grey buildings:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=178143

I'd love to visit Reykjavik, I think it is a beautiful looking city. It's about the same size as St. John's but have such nice modern looking buildings which blend nicely with the older heritage style architecture. Unfortunately, I don't think my wife feels the same way; when we travel it's usually somewhere a lot warmer than here.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 12:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The proposed re-clad was better, but only slightly. I'm not devastated it wasn't completed to plan as the building would've been hideous anyway.

Love the grey buildings in that photo, Statebass.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 12:57 PM

I love those buildings as well, I also have always said the torbay rd area is prime area for increased density and some actually tall residential buildings

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 7:16 PM

The whole hillview terrace area on torbay road should be bulldozed and replaced with nice apartment buildings like these. Hillview terrace is a huge piece of land with extremely ugly apartment buildings spaced very far apart. Torbay road would be an excellent place to increase density with buildings such as those!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 7:26 PM

And relating to the Atlantic place reclad render, I don't have a preference. Both the render and what was actually done is awful. The brick should have been completely abolished! Brick can be done nicely on a building, for example I didn't mind the red brick on the pre-reclad TD building. But that brown brick on Atlantic Place has to be the worst substance you can slap on the side of a building. It looks dated and gross.

Brick should not have even been an option in a reclad, mind you this was only a minor reclad and it would not have been within budget to remove the brick and replace it, but I look forward to the day when *Stephen* finally removes that awful brick.

Edit: *someone, not Stephen! But if there is a guy named Stephen who wants to remove the brick on AP, go for it!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The whole hillview terrace area on torbay road should be bulldozed and replaced with nice apartment buildings like these. Hillview terrace is a huge piece of land with extremely ugly apartment buildings spaced very far apart. Torbay road would be an excellent place to increase density with buildings such as those!
Have you seen the new re-clad on the building across from the Torbay Road mall. Wish I had a picture but they somehow managed to make one of those buildings more ugly than it was previously.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Have you seen the new re-clad on the building across from the Torbay Road mall. Wish I had a picture but they somehow managed to make one of those buildings more ugly than it was previously.
Oh, I know! I've seen it. It looks like smokers teeth it was white but now it's a gross, rotten yellow. Blech. I would never live in one of these buildings.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Oh, I know! I've seen it. It looks like smokers teeth it was white but now it's a gross, rotten yellow. Blech. I would never live in one of these buildings.
"Looks like smokers teeth" haha...nice comparison

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
"Looks like smokers teeth" haha...nice comparison
"smokers teeth yellow"... fits it perfectly..!

It's not a re-clad, I believe they simply painted the vinyl siding.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
"smokers teeth yellow"... fits it perfectly..!

It's not a re-clad, I believe they simply painted the vinyl siding.
Can't get much lazier and cheaper than that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's