HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I didn't mind that proposal either - but I would have preferred it as a Cabot Complex reclad than a new project.
I think it was an OK proposal ... at the time I loved it because it was the first bit of action in like decades lol ... however looking at it now it looks like it could have been from the 80s or cheapish looking .. especially compared to the quality of proposals that we have now

Also at 15floors being the size it would have been it looks very bulky and like a huge glass box ... now if you squeezed it in and went up to like 20-23 floors and did it in the style of Fortis Place ... now that would be a sexy building!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:12 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Another concept proposal that is quite interesting is the one for the Battery Hotel site.
It includes a 10 storey condo, 7 storey hotel, and 6 storey office building, apartments etc..

The rest of the renders can be found here.

Source: http://www.ekistics.net/work/CE/5.html

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Another concept proposal that is quite interesting is the one for the Battery Hotel site.
It includes a 10 storey condo, 7 storey hotel, and 6 storey office building, apartments etc..

The rest of the renders can be found here.

Source: http://www.ekistics.net/work/CE/5.html
I think we were discussing this proposal a while back. I really like this one as well. But whether its this or just another hotel, I don't care. I think we all agree on one thing. Sometime over the next 10 years, the battery hotel has to go. It is disgusting both on the outside, and even more so on the inside. What a waste of the million dollar view.

Read the reviews on any website, or just talk to someone who's been there and there's your proof that its got to go or be gutted completely, and re-clad. My guess is that it would be much more profitable to push the battery hotel off the hill into the Harbor and start anew. A nice complex like that proposal, or even a hotel is welcome but the current battery hotel has got to go.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I think we were discussing this proposal a while back. I really like this one as well. But whether its this or just another hotel, I don't care. I think we all agree on one thing. Sometime over the next 10 years, the battery hotel has to go. It is disgusting both on the outside, and even more so on the inside. What a waste of the million dollar view.

Read the reviews on any website, or just talk to someone who's been there and there's your proof that its got to go or be gutted completely, and re-clad. My guess is that it would be much more profitable to push the battery hotel off the hill into the Harbor and start anew. A nice complex like that proposal, or even a hotel is welcome but the current battery hotel has got to go.
Yup, I completely agree with you here.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 2:42 PM

I would like to see a Modern , Unique High-rise Condo something like the Altro Vetro In Dublin, Ireland. The building measurements are Only: 21M by 8M
It stands at a height of: 50.6m

Link:http://www.viewpictures.co.uk/Detail...76413&TypeID=1

Last edited by codyLawrenceDylan14; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 2:53 PM

OMG hahahah talk about skinny

yeah I'd like to see some things like that well that would be good for the steel hotel site (prob be a bit thicker LOL) but still I like the more narrow and tall buildings .. however parking would be the bummer if this were to be built DT ... in other areas of the city it'd be cool too

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 3:27 PM

That is a nice looking building; although, I would prefer something a little more wider, nonetheless great find Cody! Its narrowness does gives it an illusion of being much taller. I'm not sure how well received this would be if it were proposed for downtown (I'm thinking a lot of opposition). I could definitely see it being located around the Tiffany condos area, or maybe in Mount Pearl, if the city ever decides to build up.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 5:52 PM

Nice building. It looks a lot taller than it actually is, but in reality it'd be comparative to all the other buildings downtown.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 9:56 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyLawrenceDylan14 View Post
I would like to see a Modern , Unique High-rise Condo something like the Altro Vetro In Dublin, Ireland. The building measurements are Only: 21M by 8M
It stands at a height of: 50.6m
^ Interesting building.

Please credit the source for posting pictures (post the link to the page), according to forum rules.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 10:44 PM

I could only find one of the links :/
But thanks I will be sure to post all links next time

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 8:43 PM

Below is an image of 6100 Young St. proposal in Halifax. I think something similar to these buildings would be a good fit as the Tiffany condos development. A little shorter of course, as Tiffany will be 16 floors. Thoughts anyone?

Source: http://thechronicleherald.ca/DCW/1265115.html

Edit: I re-referenced the source website from the 6100 Young st thread, which turned out to be a dead link. I searched but couldn't find another image.

Last edited by statbass; Oct 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM. Reason: Grammar mistake

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 10:26 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here are some links about that one, apparently it was "well received" in Halifax. It's possible the proposed Tiffany development could be similar to that, although that one includes some commercial space, and I think the area it's being built in is mainly commercial.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...ceived-meeting

http://www.youronlineagents.com/cwea....php?id=396120

http://www.openfile.ca/halifax/blog/...-wm-apartments

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 11:04 PM

Yeah I think something like that would look good! but It would look even better with a little more color I think that it looks a little to plain.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyLawrenceDylan14 View Post
Yeah I think something like that would look good! but It would look even better with a little more color I think that it looks a little to plain.
I agree, give it a splash of colour, give a bit of St. John's Style to it

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Here are some links about that one, apparently it was "well received" in Halifax. It's possible the proposed Tiffany development could be similar to that, although that one includes some commercial space, and I think the area it's being built in is mainly commercial.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...ceived-meeting

http://www.youronlineagents.com/cwea....php?id=396120

http://www.openfile.ca/halifax/blog/...-wm-apartments
Thanks for finding these links for the proposal, I obviously didn't look too hard.

I also agree with Cody and Jeddy - add a splash of colour to enhance the wow factor and give it some St. John's pizazz.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 12:25 AM

I like the design, but I agree that it needs a bit more St. John's style!

I hope they are not afraid to stray from the original Tiffany tower's design. I don't mind the design of Tiffany tower A, but I wouldn't want to see that same design stretched further into the sky. That design works for the 9-story building but it wouldn't for a 16 story building.

Maybe a few balconies too?

Also will these be strictly seniors condos or will it be a general public condo development???

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I like the design, but I agree that it needs a bit more St. John's style!

I hope they are not afraid to stray from the original Tiffany tower's design. I don't mind the design of Tiffany tower A, but I wouldn't want to see that same design stretched further into the sky. That design works for the 9-story building but it wouldn't for a 16 story building.

Maybe a few balconies too?

Also will these be strictly seniors condos or will it be a general public condo development???
By the look of their website it looks like they actually want young urban people.. but it's definitely not senior buildings

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
By the look of their website it looks like they actually want young urban people.. but it's definitely not senior buildings
Do the towers have their own website? Because the Tiffany Village (the existing building) Website clearly states "Tiffany Village Retirement Living" in the corner

So would the Tiffany Towers be associated with Tiffany Village or would they be seperate? And Just wondering, what website are you looking at??

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Do the towers have their own website? Because the Tiffany Village (the existing building) Website clearly states "Tiffany Village Retirement Living" in the corner

So would the Tiffany Towers be associated with Tiffany Village or would they be seperate? And Just wondering, what website are you looking at??
This website ... the overall development is called tiffany estates

http://www.tiffanycondos.com/

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 1:26 AM

Thanks! It's definitely not a senior's development, that's for sure! I really want to hear more on the Tiffany Estates development, but the fact is we may not hear anything on this project for quite some time because the timeline in the projects inventory was 2012-2016

I just always wanted to use that from emoticon..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's