HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 4:12 PM

I could not agree more, this is perhaps one of the last remaining areas of our harbor front that has the potential to be developed into a landmark.

The proposal that Fortis put forward a few years ago, with the 15 story tower on top, actually didn’t look too bad (less the tower) for the lower floors that incorporated this area. It certainly was a decent start.

You can certainly hide a couple of levels of parking under an office, retail, restaurant/bar complex that adds some character to this block. Ya gotta incorporate “The Light” though, or something close.

This site is just crying out to be more than a surface parking lot, the only problem being the money and imagination required to make it right…especially the money.

Not to be forgotten is the streetscape on Water St that needs to be incorporated into anything that goes there eventually. If money were no object (ie the province wasn’t almost bankrupt) a performing arts centre could be quite spectacular there, with an elevated plaza / open space. We need a design competition to see what ideas people can come up with.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I could not agree more, this is perhaps one of the last remaining areas of our harbor front that has the potential to be developed into a landmark.

The proposal that Fortis put forward a few years ago, with the 15 story tower on top, actually didn’t look too bad (less the tower) for the lower floors that incorporated this area. It certainly was a decent start.

You can certainly hide a couple of levels of parking under an office, retail, restaurant/bar complex that adds some character to this block. Ya gotta incorporate “The Light” though, or something close.

This site is just crying out to be more than a surface parking lot, the only problem being the money and imagination required to make it right…especially the money.

Not to be forgotten is the streetscape on Water St that needs to be incorporated into anything that goes there eventually. If money were no object (ie the province wasn’t almost bankrupt) a performing arts centre could be quite spectacular there, with an elevated plaza / open space. We need a design competition to see what ideas people can come up with.
Well the City isn't hurting for money and as I understand, Fortis is putting their real estate up for sale. So it will just take the right buyer and the right plan to make something good happen there. Even something like a mini-mall with some restaurants/cafes on the Harbour Drive side would be nice. You could build over the parking lot and leave the parking spaces there. Good opportunity to create a lot more retail space downtown.

Also, I don't really care for "the light". I assume you are talking about the building with the lighthouse shaped corner. I don't think it fits in there any wouldn't be missed by anyone.

If you wanted to take it a bit further, you could incorporate the back portion of the Fortis building and any development that may happen over on the other side of Job's Cove. A pedway could easily be put there. There's been rumours of a hotel going there for maybe a decade now, if not longer. I really hope a hotel doesn't go there. I would like to see all that area developed as some sort of useable public space.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:04 PM

Has there been much talk about "Light Rail" system in St John's? I was just thinking about the "unique design" St. John's and the metro region and how it isn't a typical "grided city" with evenly distributed roadways. Most of the population is based around 3 long roadways: Topsail Rd, Torbay Rd and Kenmount Rd.

I feel like if you implemented a simple rail system on those roads with a few decent stations that it would serve almost the entire population and would be far more efficient than the existing bus system.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Has there been much talk about "Light Rail" system in St John's? I was just thinking about the "unique design" St. John's and the metro region and how it isn't a typical "grided city" with evenly distributed roadways. Most of the population is based around 3 long roadways: Topsail Rd, Torbay Rd and Kenmount Rd.

I feel like if you implemented a simple rail system on those roads with a few decent stations that it would serve almost the entire population and would be far more efficient than the existing bus system.
I don't think there has been any. I doubt I will see any light rail system in St. John's in my lifetime. Not saying it's a bad idea, but I just don't see it happening. I think we need a proper bus transit system first, and that doesn't even seem like much of a priority at the moment

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I don't think there has been any. I doubt I will see any light rail system in St. John's in my lifetime. Not saying it's a bad idea, but I just don't see it happening. I think we need a proper bus transit system first, and that doesn't even seem like much of a priority at the moment

I agree that we need a proper bus system first but I don't have confidence that anything will improve. Maybe talk about some sort of LRT/tram system would get municipalities/metrobus in gear.

Though with the amount of planning, overhauling and new hubs/stations/sheltered stops/express routes/roadwork that would really be required to fix the bus system it would probably be easier to stick a some sort of simple rail system along a couple of the major routes in the metro region and just have the buses act as a feeder system.

Seriously with the way the metro region is laid out if you had 1 single rail system just along Topsail road alone you be serving at least 50-75% of the entire metro population. Add another along Torbay road you are probably at >80%.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:14 PM

Quote:
I agree that we need a proper bus system first but I don't have confidence that anything will improve. Maybe talk about some sort of LRT/tram system would get municipalities/metrobus in gear.

Though with the amount of planning, overhauling and new hubs/stations/sheltered stops/express routes/roadwork that would really be required to fix the bus system it would probably be easier to stick a some sort of simple rail system along a couple of the major routes in the metro region and just have the buses act as a feeder system.

Seriously with the way the metro region is laid out if you had 1 single rail system just along Topsail road alone you be serving at least 50-75% of the entire metro population. Add another along Torbay road you are probably at >80%.
Also, we can't even build a 10 km highway in a 15 year time frame, let alone a LRT system. Sorry, I had to get my dig in at this ridiculous project.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:02 PM

Apparently there is an Ontario company named "Bone Structure" that specializes in steel home construction which I guess licenses their techniques to construction companies. Anyway looks like a local construction company must be a authorized builder and starting to build homes here.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0875481&type=3

http://bonestructure.ca/en/

Looks pretty nice and if nothing else different compared to the standard issue Newfoundland home.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 8:54 PM

Love their designs. I would buy one.

Quote:
Apparently there is an Ontario company named "Bone Structure" that specializes in steel home construction which I guess licenses their techniques to construction companies. Anyway looks like a local construction company must be a authorized builder and starting to build homes here.

Looks pretty nice and if nothing else different compared to the standard issue Newfoundland home.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 3:05 PM

Quote:

There is one of these in CBS. There was a big home house thing there the summer.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:01 PM

I wonder how the cost compares to traditional "stick built" construction? They present very nice modern designs, I would think a few of these would look quite nice on the hills of Torbay (or elsewhere) with panoramic views of the water.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I wonder how the cost compares to traditional "stick built" construction? They present very nice modern designs, I would think a few of these would look quite nice on the hills of Torbay (or elsewhere) with panoramic views of the water.
I don't know about a direct cost comparison but they're not cheap, but I suppose stick built isn't either. The lowest cost option on their pricing schedule is $350K. I'd be curious about a comparison to ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) as I watched that series on HGTV - House of Bryan.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I don't know about a direct cost comparison but they're not cheap, but I suppose stick built isn't either. The lowest cost option on their pricing schedule is $350K. I'd be curious about a comparison to ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) as I watched that series on HGTV - House of Bryan.
Off topic, but man I love that show

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:

Looks amazing - I really am not a fan of the standard issue generic vinyl siding home that dominates the landscape around here.

I want one like that one out in CBS, only not in CBS!

Sadly I'll probably never be able to afford anything like that...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 5:21 PM

Smile

Saw an interesting housing concept that an Edmonton company has started selling, taking advantage of new bylaws that promote increasing population density. Interesting idea, probably wouldn't fly here though given our tendency towards urban sprawl and opposition to most any modern looking structure.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-...ticle31294127/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 6:20 PM

Architecture Student Proposes New Look for St. John’s Harbour

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 12:38 PM

It's unfeasible but I would absolutely love something like that. St. John's harbour is unfortunately too space limited to make something like this a reality.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 9:39 PM

Anyone have any idea of the plans for the former Costco/Target/Princess Auto properties on Stavanger Drive and Aberdeen Drive? I believe Powell's Supermarket owns the former Princess Auto building, and a development company now owns Target/Costco buildings? My son had a great proposal for Costco/Target if the buildings cannot find new anchor tenants. He suggested levelling the property and building a modern village square similar to Churchill Square with mixed commercial at ground level and apartments/condos up top. Build it on a scale identical to Churchill Square and this could be a landmark of how to redevelop properties at risk.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argusean View Post
Anyone have any idea of the plans for the former Costco/Target/Princess Auto properties on Stavanger Drive and Aberdeen Drive? I believe Powell's Supermarket owns the former Princess Auto building, and a development company now owns Target/Costco buildings? My son had a great proposal for Costco/Target if the buildings cannot find new anchor tenants. He suggested levelling the property and building a modern village square similar to Churchill Square with mixed commercial at ground level and apartments/condos up top. Build it on a scale identical to Churchill Square and this could be a landmark of how to redevelop properties at risk.
No those buildings are a huge waste at the moment.

There was an announcement of Government looking for 78,000 Sq ft of space on the Northeast Avalon for Ambulatory care. That's a significant amount of space. Being that the old Costco building is about 142,000 Sq. ft. and Target was around 120,000 Sq ft that kind of facility would take a good portion of one of these buildings. Plus there is parking available. I can't think of many other buildings that would offer that much space and parking unless it was a new build.
https://vocm.com/2023/05/26/governme...theast-avalon/

On the idea of making the area like Churchill Square, that's interesting... I had hoped the Shoppes at Galway would be more like Dartmouth Crossing in NS. So far it's not near as nice.

I know there is a Costco and Ikea in that area as well as other big box stores. But there is a shopping area with shops and a park area, very much a town square vibe. The stores are mainly big retail but the style of the buildings is town square. Everything we have so far is big metal boxes all spaced a mile apart.

https://dartmouthcrossing.com/

In the same line are shopping areas in Kanata, ON such as the Kanata Entertainment Centrum is nice and the Tanger Outlet mall. Also Town Square Las Vegas.

These all seem to me to encourage a casual shopping experience. I think the opportunity is there if some smart developer were to take it.

http://entertainmentcentrumkanata.com/directory/
https://www.tanger.com/ottawa
https://mytownsquarelasvegas.com/

I know the weather in those locations is much different from St. John's and that impacts things. But the concepts are nice.

As far as I can determine in Dartmouth Crossing there is office space in the area as well on the backside of the buildings, separate from any office buildings. Not sure about residential in there.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 3:16 PM

The area is prime to add high rise residential imo. Common in other areas of Canada to do this with these box centre/mall commercial areas.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 10:16 PM

There has been work happening at the old Target building but not sure on plans. Looks like they are subdividing the space maybe. I believe the 2 buildings were purchased by KMK Capital

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's