HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:00 PM

Lightbulb Development Concepts and Ideas

This Thread is for Concepts and Ideas that you think will fit well in St. John's (Ideas seen from other cities and around the world)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:15 PM

I lived in Viña del MAr, Chile for a little while and I lived in an area with architecture which I thought would be good for St. John's especially because it is highrise/ older style

here are some examples:

The one on the left is an office building and the one on the right is residential connected by retail/a bank branch

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 3:03 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

You're right. I can absolutely envision something like that downtown.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 6:57 PM

I think something like Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City would look nice in downtown St. John's. Albeit, not as grandiose, but something with similar architecture. I always liked Quebec city's architecture, such a good blend of old and new - it has a very charming appeal.

Source: http://www.quebeccityhotelsonline.co...uebec-City.jpg

Last edited by statbass; Apr 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 1:03 PM

I agree, and I think the Ideal place to put it is where the battery hotel is now, The only thing is that people may not want it to upstage the signal hill look, however I think it could be done in a way that it would compliment the whole signal hill dramatic look "over looking the city"

Something such as the one in Quebec city or even like this one in Saskatoon (same style of architecture)

Source

Source[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 2:21 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I agree, and I think the Ideal place to put it is where the battery hotel is now, The only thing is that people may not want it to upstage the signal hill look, however I think it could be done in a way that it would compliment the whole signal hill dramatic look "over looking the city"
I'd love to see something done with the Battery Hotel. My understanding is that the place is a dump, although I must admit I've never stayed there. It would definitely be a prime location for a very unique and recognizable hotel development for St. John's.

One of the problems with this city is the desire by the majority to maintain the old and falling down buildings because they have some sort of historic value. While I'm all for history and culture when appropriate, you can't save everything. The Battery is a location that people may get up in arms about. None the less, what a spectacular location for the kind of development you folks are suggesting.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:40 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Is the Battery Hotel the big white one? Because yeah, it has no place on that hill. That would be a great location for a chateau-style hotel, but I doubt anything like that would get built anymore (anywhere).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 5:34 PM

^Yeah it's that unfortunate building. I love those Quebec City styled chateau's, they'd fit in with the character of downtown pretty well. I'd assume the cost of actually styling a building like so is quite large.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ It would be hard to build someting of that style without it looking somewhat fake. Modern interpretations usually don't look that great.

My ideas and concepts for St. John's would involve redefining what is allowed and acceptable in the city core, mainly some of the areas that date from the 1950's and before. The city core (outside the heritage areas) is what needs to be densified and revitalized and not just the peripheries. New developments don't necessarily have to be super tall, but just enough to make the city more efficient by adding density.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ It would be hard to build someting of that style without it looking somewhat fake. Modern interpretations usually don't look that great.
'Le Chateau' has greatly contributed to Canadian architecture, which is particularly prevalent in Western Canada with their railway Chateau hotels -- although hypothetically this building style may be used for residential and commercial means also.

You are correct is stating that modern interpretations of older buildings can turn out poorly and this is why many dislike the idea of faux-Victorian and faux-Georgian attempts. This is why many approve a more modern, contemporary approach to this older building style....

This is Chateau Moncton, a hotel along the riverfront of the Petitcodiac River:

The red and white, though your developer may choose whichever contrasts appropriate, would fit nicely into St. John's colourful skyline, embrace the past, while using present construction materials.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 9:16 PM

I love the look of the Grand Floridian Resort at Disney World. I think this would look pretty nice up where the current Battery Hotel is now. The Battery Hotel should be "The" place to stay in St. John's. Unfortunately it's the probably the worst which is sad.

Photo: http://www.ratestogo.com/blog/expens...ney-vacations/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Reminds me of Three Valley Gap.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 2:52 AM

The Battery Hotel is unfortunate. It undoubtedly has the BEST view of the city/harbour, and should be a five star hotel. But I've stayed there, and that place needs a serious overhaul, almost to the point of being torn down and started over. The envisioned "The Rock" hotel was even more ugly, thankfully that never made it too far.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:48 PM

Here is in idea I've had from walking the harbour front frequently. Maybe a bit far fetched but thought I would throw it out there for discussion since this seems like the proper place for ideas like this.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could move all industrial activity away from St. John's Harbour and relocate it somewhere else nearby? Think about what we could do with the harbour front if there wasn't a steady stream of container ships and offshore supply vessels? Shops, restaurants, parks, etc. Harbourside park is nice but wouldn't it be nice if it could be expanded to take over all or part of the land that is currently occupied by Harveys.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Here is in idea I've had from walking the harbour front frequently. Maybe a bit far fetched but thought I would throw it out there for discussion since this seems like the proper place for ideas like this.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could move all industrial activity away from St. John's Harbour and relocate it somewhere else nearby? Think about what we could do with the harbour front if there wasn't a steady stream of container ships and offshore supply vessels? Shops, restaurants, parks, etc. Harbourside park is nice but wouldn't it be nice if it could be expanded to take over all or part of the land that is currently occupied by Harveys.
It's unrealistic, but would be amazing. I personally think if amalgamation would happen, all industrial activities could be moved to Conception Bay South. The harbour is huge, and there'd be plenty of space to expand the port, much to the size of Halifax. That'd open up St. John's harbour up more for tourists. I'm still a huge advocate for Duckworth and Water being one way only, and completely getting rid of Harbour drive and turning it in to green space.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 9:42 PM

I had heard a year ago, and supposedly things are still happening with this, that a group was going to invest in the Placemtia harbour and that would take all the industrial activity out of St. John's.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 10:54 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
It's unrealistic, but would be amazing. I personally think if amalgamation would happen, all industrial activities could be moved to Conception Bay South. The harbour is huge, and there'd be plenty of space to expand the port, much to the size of Halifax. That'd open up St. John's harbour up more for tourists. I'm still a huge advocate for Duckworth and Water being one way only, and completely getting rid of Harbour drive and turning it in to green space.
Getting rid of Harbour Drive would be nice. And yeah, I would then have a green space/pedestrian mall, but have the harbour side lined with cafes, restaurants, bars, shops, etc.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:10 PM

Here is a proposal from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Combining a skyscraper and a Church with offices?

see here

http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/04/b...e_development/

New Development proposed on Bloor Street East by the United Church.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:04 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I feel like something along the lines of that proposal would be a realistic way to develop some of downtown without tearing down the buildings that have so much historic meaning to so many people.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:51 AM

Avalon Mall is in dire need of a modern day refit. The mall has been there since 1967 and some of the original exterior cladding is still there like that ugly old stone facade on front of Sears. The mall always makes me feel like I am walking through the Path or subway underground mall in Toronto, even with the few skylights they have, it's still pretty dreary there most times. They should go up a floor or two all the way down to where Sears is and put a huge glass dome in like in the photo and make the storefronts similar to some of the old merchant buildings on Water Street like what is done in the West Edmonton Mall in the pic. They need to do something if they want to stay competitive with all the new big box parks going up and expanding.

The photo is from
http://www.caccn.ca/en/events/dynami...formation.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's